Colorado Rockies concept

VitaminD

Hey. I decided to celebrate my 500th post by trotting out my first baseball concept. (I'd say I opt for quality over quantity, but that's not for me to decide. ^_^ )

KennyRock was working on a Rockies concept that took all the black out of what they wear. I've seen a couple similar attempts at changing the Rockies, but they involved more dumping the purple, which I'm not crazy about. For one, it's unique and can look good. For two, the Rockies are named to celebrate America's "purple mountains' majesty". So purple stays, and black goes. In its place is forest green, which represents the pine forests of Colorado. Or Wimbledon. Or the old New Jersey Devils' colors. Either way, I went with the purple they have now, the silver they have now, and the forest green.

Other details:

- I dumped the arched lettering on the front for straight letters; the first and last letters are larger by about 10% and the others are underlined.

- piping: home - purple/silver/purple; road & alt - green/white/green.

- numbers: home front - green outlined white, purple; home back - purple, outlined white, green; road - purple, outlined white, green; alt - white, outlined green, white.

- wordmark: home - purple, silver filling; road - purple, white filling; alt - silver, green filling. "COLORADO" is on the road, "ROCKIES" on home and alt.

- template: thanks, BDugan!

Enjoy. C&C encouraged and welcome. Thanks in advance for your help.

rockieshome.png

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Good:

*Adding green instead of black.

*Removal of pinstripes.

*Purple as the alt. color.

*No sleeveless alt's.

Opportunity areas:

*Number font looks like a hockey font, not baseball. Either a custom font or standard MLB block would work better.

*Just my opinion, but I don't think non-arched wordmarks look good on baseball jerseys.

*Are the buttons colored intentionally? If so, I'd make them match the jersey color.

*The piping on the road and alt stands out too much because of the green/white/green pattern. Maybe keep the home piping on the roads, and eliminate piping from the alt? Or on the home / road, substitute green for silver and do purple/green/purple?

*same with the pants stripes.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

If I squint my eyes to make the screen all blurry, I like the general effect of this concept. But I dislike many of the details.

What I absolutely love is the three-stripe piping, at least when it's the same purple-silver-purple as the lettering. The purple hat is great, too.

The straight letters don't work for me. Put those letters on a curve like the current unis.

I like the idea of the green, but you haven't found a way to integrate it well.

The purple-silver-purple piping on the purple uni doesn't work; it should be silver-purple-silver, like the letters.

And I hate, absolutely hate, Braves-style arched names. Stick with radial letters, not arched.

20082614447.png

Thanks everyone for the C&C. I got a lot of good ideas out of this session.

Some of them I certainly plan to implement, and I agree with many of them. Some, I won't - there are things I put in that I like (sorry BallWonk, but the vertical arched names; maybe it comes from growing up with the Phillies in the '80s, but I always liked it :rolleyes: ). And graphite wouldn't fit, since i already have silver in the scheme, and it's too close to black that it would feel like cheating if I lightened black up by 10% or so.

But thanks again for finding potential spots for improvement. Version 2.0 will be out soon...

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

All right, update time. These are the changes:

ALL: New font for the numbers. For the record, the old one was the Dolphins' font, but I tried to find one that was unique and was subtly Western without resorting to using 49ers script. (It's Rockwell.) Also, buttons no longer black, they match their jersey (I left them as they were on the template for my own reference and so you know that they're there.)

HOME: no changes.

ROAD: darker gray so the silver stands out more); green off the piping, now purple/white/purple; front number now dark green (a nod to the Dodgers' red number on the fronts of their jerseys, also done on the homes), outlined white/purple.

ALT: piping reversed, now white/green/white (matching lettering on the alternates); numbers now white, only single outlined dark green.

NOTE FOR BBTV: I tried an alt without piping; didn't like it. Too much uninterrupted purple, like Grimace. So the piping stayed.

I liked the straight letters on the wordmark, since most teams don't do it, and it's straight on their primary logo. I left the underline to make the size discrepancy of the letters on the ends stand out more (again, trying to be a little unique).

And as I said before, I opted to keep the green. Green is underutilized in MLB, and it there was a team that could try and incorporate a green, it'd be a team based in the Rocky Mountains, named for those mountains. Especially if I can dump black at the same time.

Any further C&C would be appreciated, it helped a lot... thanks in advance

rockies2.png

2007nleastchamps.png

The piping looks better, but I'm still not sure about the numbers, both the font and the coloring / outlining.

They just look too out of place on this concept, especially with a different font used for the wordmark and player names. I know you are trying to go "western", but if that's the only thing on the jersey that is western, then maybe it isn't a good idea. Maybe resort to the standard block, or go with something closer to the wordmark, like the brewers font maybe.

Also, the ontline on the numbers looks odd because nothing else on the jersey is like that. Maybe use solid numbers with no outline (then green would probably be OK), or if you use a font closer to the wordmark (even *gasp* times new roman) follow the same stye (silver middle with purple border.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

This is where I may be stuck with the Rockies.

For the numbers, I'd rather not resort to standard block numbers, which is why I tried the Dolphins' numbers first. I don't have a font that matches the Rockies' wordmark font closely enough, and you know how "not quite right" things look when you get close to correct but it's just off enough to look wrong. And as for Times New Roman, :puke: for 2 reasons: the Brewers got there first, and I NEVER use Times New Roman, not even in MS Word for typing documents. Just too omnipresent - it's the black of fonts.

I'll see if I feel like screwing around with this any more, but unless I can solve this problem without standard block or Times New Roman, I may leave it at this.

Thanks for all the help...

2007nleastchamps.png

Wow for noticing that, ramsfan. Not even one :notworthy: , eh?

:blink: ... :cry: ... :huh:

You really don't like the green. I tried to tone it down, and make it more of a trim color, and let the purple be the dominant color in the package.

2007nleastchamps.png

Archived