Traditionalist has retro Dukes logo dreams

Ez Street

New Mexico Business Weekly

From the June 20, 2005 print edition

Traditionalist has retro Dukes logo dreams

Sean O'Hara

NMBW Staff

aldukes.jpg

Fred Matteucci hopes his two-year crusade to return the Albuquerque Dukes' trademark to the Duke City is just the start of something bigger.

Since securing the rights in October 2004 to the Albuquerque Dukes' trademark and any merchandise with the Dukes' logo, a persistent Matteucci has set his sights on revving up support to change the Albuquerque Isotopes' name back to the Dukes.

Matteucci was able to buy the Dukes' trademark after paying $1,400 plus attorney fees when the trademark lay dormant for two years and, by law, became available to the public.

Although Matteucci admits he faces an uphill struggle, he believes the Isotopes novelty eventually will wear off. With Albuquerque's Tricentennial celebration set for 2006, he says the time is right for the city's baseball fans and the Albuquerque Isotopes to revisit the baseball team's name.

However, for now, Matteucci, who recently met twice with Isotopes' officials, is happy just to be offering advice to help promote the Isotopes' first annual Dukes Retro Night on June 22, featuring "Mr. Music," the Dukes legendary organist, and former Dukes players. That night, the Isotopes will be wearing Dukes uniforms.

Matteucci says he hopes to sit down with Isotopes owner Ken Young during the game to discuss the name change possibility.

"The Isotopes are successful, and I'm not knocking them because they've done a beautiful job putting money back into the community. But, I want Mr. Young to consider it, just consider it," Matteucci says.

He says the Isotopes could approach the city to cover any costs associated with changing the name.

Matteucci also has discussed his idea with members of the Albuquerque Hispano Chamber of Commerce members in hopes of getting their support.

"I know the Simpsons are a good marketing tool, but c'mon. Let's see what the feeling of the community is," he says.

The Isotopes name comes from an episode of "The Simpsons," the popular animated show on the Fox network.

Matteucci acquired the rights to the Dukes' name from the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office last fall.

In February, he entered into a partnership with Zia Graphics to sell Dukes merchandise, including baseball hats, jerseys and T-shirts.

I have no problem with the Dukes' name and merchandise (and I have family in Albuquerque and have actually been to a Dukes game, but it was years ago), but man... when I heard that the team was being renamed the Isotopes in a Simpsons reference, they had a convert for life. That's brilliant, especially if you get the reference. People who don't get it ought to just up and move to Shelbyville.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I thought the changge was due to not being affiliated with the Dodgers anymore. I thought

Isotopes was funny....taken from the Simpson episode where the Springfield Isotopes were

supposed to move to Albuquerque, MX, but the joke pretty much wore off 5 seconds later.

So, I loved the Dukes as a minor league affiliate to the Dodgers and the name works without

that connection anyways.....wait, whyd they change it again?

I thought the changge was due to not being affiliated with the Dodgers anymore. I thought

Isotopes was funny....taken from the Simpson episode where the Springfield Isotopes were

supposed to move to Albuquerque, MX, but the joke pretty much wore off 5 seconds later.

So, I loved the Dukes as a minor league affiliate to the Dodgers and the name works without

to make money.

Hey, I still laugh at it (The Simpsons reference)......

And besides, Isotopes does kinda go with Albuquerque, since New Mexico has a long history in Nuclear research.

Insert Witty Signature Here.

^^

Most annoying

to read -

ever.

Learn how to type

correctly so you

don't look

like a complete retard.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

they have a real cool looking stadium also. It seems to fit the team name.

The stadium, Isotopes Park, is just the old Dukes stadium reconstructed.

There was a lot of nostalgia here this week when the Isotopes went retro wearing the Dukes unis from the 1980s in a game against Nashville.LINK

I'm a fan of the Isotopes logo, not so much the wordmark. But the Dukes -- everything from the conquistador logo to the red and yellow colors -- to me are just classic.

I know the mayor here lobbied heavily for naming the team Dukes. He even named his dog Dukes. And people still wear Dukes gear to the games.

But despite that, in my year here in Abq, I have yet to notice any persistent outlash against the Isotopes. People here seem to have embraced it almost equally. And they play the Simpson's clip during every game.

I doubt we'll have any Brewers-like debates here in the Duke City, but I wouldn't argue if they ever went back to being the Dukes..

I like the name Isotopes and I love how they used it from the simpsons, but I think if they really wanted to reference the simpsons they should have used the exact same uniforms from the show, I mean red and white.

iceohio.jpgvultshelmet.png

crossout3.png

^^

Most annoying

to read -

ever.

Learn how to type

correctly so you

don't look

like a complete retard.

Post how I wanna post....whatever, if you dont want to add to this discussion, why reply? Just to piss people off? Not cool, dude, try getting out more often! By the by - Denver sucks *ss! :cursing:

they have a real cool looking stadium also. It seems to fit the team name.

The stadium, Isotopes Park, is just the old Dukes stadium reconstructed.

There was a lot of nostalgia here this week when the Isotopes went retro wearing the Dukes unis from the 1980s in a game against Nashville.LINK

I'm a fan of the Isotopes logo, not so much the wordmark. But the Dukes -- everything from the conquistador logo to the red and yellow colors -- to me are just classic.

I know the mayor here lobbied heavily for naming the team Dukes. He even named his dog Dukes. And people still wear Dukes gear to the games.

But despite that, in my year here in Abq, I have yet to notice any persistent outlash against the Isotopes. People here seem to have embraced it almost equally. And they play the Simpson's clip during every game.

I doubt we'll have any Brewers-like debates here in the Duke City, but I wouldn't argue if they ever went back to being the Dukes..

not to hijack the original topic of the thread but.....While were on that subject i thought was very ironic that they faced Nashville because i think its time for the Sounds to bring the Swingin' Guitar Man out of "semi" retirement (i said "semi" because the guitar man is on the BP caps) .bause the look they had from '78-'98 was a perfect fit w/ the team name,and besides the current logo doesn't fit w/ the team's name IMO

Archived