MLB Concepts Part 3

CB27

Well, I've finally made it to the "D" teams. These three were an unusual mix; two new teams that keep changing and one old team that has remained virtually the same for years.

First up, the Devil Rays. It seems like every change they make is a step in the right direction, especially considering their original garbage. I like everything about their current uniforms except the colors. I can't quite put my finger on what it is about them I don't like, but they've never seemed quite right to me. As a result, this concept is mainly recoloring their current stuff. I eliminated blue, changed the green, and added a little more black. I also brought back an old logo(minus the rainbow colors thing) as a sleeve patch.

With the Diamondbacks, I had basically the same feelings as with the Rays: I like the logos, but not so much the colors. I switched them to a dark green and sand color that I think fits better with both the team name and the dessert area.

Now the Dodgers. I was struggling to find something I didn't like with their current uniforms. In the end, I couldn't find anything to change on the road, and all I really wanted to change on the home was the addition of piping like on the road. I also through in a road alternate just for fun.

Devil Rays, Diamondbacks, and Dodgers

I gotta say I like that copper-ish color on Arizona, and I like the amount you put in. I mean, I wouldn't make a copper alternate or anything, but it looks pretty nice.

The Rays' green seems a little too electric to me, though I agree that something's wrong with their colors... I just think that there's not enough contrast between their green and blue; maybe they need something more navy-ish.

Every Fifth Day is a

HappyFelixDay.gif

i'm not keen on the recoloring of the Diamondbacks. Plus as you said in your post that they've been changing for years. They have been consistant on their design and uniforms for years. I appreciate yo ur concept but I prefer what the D-backs have now.

I love your color choices for the Diamondbacks. Very appropriate to the team name, much more so than what they use now.

But I don't like the green and black for the Rays. And I think the Dodgers are one of the clubs who have no need for a third jersey at all.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Not too shabby -

RAYS: The green doesn't look like a color an MLB team would wear. Looks like a green for a fantasy league concept, especially one involving aliens... Maybe the Roswell Death Rays? :P

D'BACKS: I like 'em. Good use of copper, which I have associated with Arizona teams since the Suns used it in their old logo (Tom Chambers era). I would keep purple around, but in very limited form - the brim of the home hat, where you filled in the "A" logo with the same green from the rest of the hat (purple would make the logo stand out much more), an outline layer on the numbers. But not much more.

DODGERS: Tough to change much of anything on these. Maybe make the patch identical for home and road, and the "LA" patch a little smaller and less overpowering on the home.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

After looking again, that Devil Rays green isn't really what I thought it would be. The problem is, if the green is much darker, there's not enough contrast with the black. Lighter, it looks too much like the Marlins. That got me to thinking maybe the green is the problem. I tried removing the green all together and substituting other colors. In the end, I think blue works pretty well. It may look a bit like the Royals right now, but I plan to remove most if not all the black from the Royals when I get around to doing their concept.

D-Rays Revised

Maybe the black was the problem. Blue and green can be combined in any variety of shades. A darker green and more dominant, lively blue would look sharp. A dark green could substitute for black, and you wouldn't need it at all.

Royal blue and black just don't go well together, especially if they're the only 2 colors used. Try various greens and blues - as long as one is allowed to be dominant, and the other serves as a compliment color, you could do some nice things - think Hartford Whalers or old Dallas Mavericks or old Seattle Seahawks.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

After numerous attempts, I think I've finally got this thing. Since I had removed the blue when I first started, I had been working with just two colors this whole time. I went back to three colors, and used silver to help the concept work with a darker shade of green and black. This is my final attempt for the Rays; I've still got 19 teams to go.

Final Devil Rays Revision

That's certainly the best Rays set of the 3 you did. I'd still like to see a forest green and blue set, because I'll bet you could dump black and make a nice set with one dominating color (royal blue) and one complementary color (forest green). Silver would be a good trim color, I like your idea.

2007nleastchamps.png

Archived