I hate Bud Selig

gashouser27

a good point but one day off every 15 days would be okay..wasn't it like that for a few years before he did that?

i mean why six teams in one division and 4 in another..i can't think of another sport that is so unbalanced..

plus it's like the only thing Bud has done

a good point but one day off every 15 days would be okay..wasn't it like that for a few years before he did that?

i mean why six teams in one division and 4 in another..i can't think of another sport that is so unbalanced..

plus it's like the only thing Bud has done

Well it wouldn't be 1 team have off every 15 days. It would be one team have 3 straight days off every certain days. It would also mean that each weekend there would be a team in each league that doesn't play on the weekend (The big revenue days). If I remember the Royals were the first team that was asked to move to the NL and they said no. Thus Bud moved his team. Before Expansion each league had 12 teams an even number and before that the American League had 2 more teams. This isn't Bud's fault or anything he could do about. It was something that had to happen and had happened a few times before Bud was commish.

Milwaukee fans have always seen themselves as National League fans anyway. That's the reason there were few objections to the switch.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Bud's some bad for the sport, but how quickly do we forget the good.

Inter-League play. Its stale now, but how big were those games for the first 2 or 3 years.

Expanded playoffs, wild cards. Without this, There would only be one round of playoffs every year. This has been huge.

First non-strike or holdout for a CBA. First time this ever happened.

Some others:

Unbalanced schedule.

Significant Revenue sharing among clubs.

Three-division formats in the American and National Leagues.

First phase of realignment.

Consolidation of the administrative functions of the American and National League into the Commissioner's Office.

The restoration of the rulebook strike zone.

Award of the home field advantage in the World Series to the team that represents the league that wins the All-Star Game.

Major League Umpires instead of NL and AL ones.

The league went from near-death after the 94 strike, to being second only to football in popularity in this country. Without bud, there wouldn't be baseball in florida, colorado or arizona. There wouldn't be somewhat of a salary cap, or drug testing. Realignment protected natural and historic rivals while creating new ones. Under his term, Stadiums were built all over the country. Arizona, Atlanta, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Colorado, Detroit, Houston, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Seattle, Texas, Philadelphia and San Diego. Not to mention the soon to be opened stadiums in St. Louis, 2 in New York, Washington, and the ever possible Miami and Minnesota stadiums. Also numerous stadiums had drastic renovations like Kansas City, Toronto, and St. Louis.

I personally feel he gets a bad rap because all the good inovative things he did saved the sport and people have forgotten about them.

Information from MLB.com was used on here. I won't say the bad things, cause I'm sure plenty of you will rebuttal with them. But he's changed the game for the better more than any other commish that there has been.

Ok, I'll say a few of the things that I didn't like.

Montreal Situation.

Home Field for All-Star game.

Lying about revenue being really bad a few years ago.

Contraction speculation.

Before you say steroids, stuff like that has been a problem in all sports throughout their existence. If it wasn't steroids it was cocaine or other drugs. Sometimes performance enhancing, sometimes not.

Consolidation of the administrative functions of the American and National League into the Commissioner's Office.

Award of the home field advantage in the World Series to the team that represents the league that wins the All-Star Game.

Well I don't know if those have been good. If anything those things are bad because it has taken away some of the charm the sport had as being 2 seperate leagues. And I don't think consolidation brought any new fans. And the All-Star Game thing is just stupid.

However I will come to Buds defense on the All-Star Game a few years a ago. So it ended in a tie. It was an exibition game. What do you want Bud to do force them to play on, force them to send out a pitcher who is pitching on short rest throw where the risk of injury increases. What happens if they did play on and one of the pitchers got hurt and he was on a contending team. That hurts the integrity of the playoff race and the playoff race is more important than an exibition game. Bud had no choice. The mistake was announcing it before the bottom of the inning. They should have waited till after the inning was over.

Well I don't know if those have been good. If anything those things are bad because it has taken away some of the charm the sport had as being 2 seperate leagues. And I don't think consolidation brought any new fans. And the All-Star Game thing is just stupid.

However I will come to Buds defense on the All-Star Game a few years a ago. So it ended in a tie. It was an exibition game. What do you want Bud to do force them to play on, force them to send out a pitcher who is pitching on short rest throw where the risk of injury increases. What happens if they did play on and one of the pitchers got hurt and he was on a contending team. That hurts the integrity of the playoff race and the playoff race is more important than an exibition game. Bud had no choice. The mistake was announcing it before the bottom of the inning. They should have waited till after the inning was over.

Opps...I ment to take the all-star game thing otu. MLB still thinks its a good idea but its horrible.

I understand your point about the 'charm' of the 2 leagues, but I think running the leagues together helps the sport of baseball as a whole. Decisions are based on bettering the game and the league itself. Without this, you could see more rules like the DH rule in the seperate leagues. One league could offer up a stronger drug plan, or a non-player friendly rule that drives players to the other league, making one "minor" in nature. I personally feel its better for the sport, but we'll just have to disagree.

I never really had a problem with the tie thing either. There was nothing you could do, and it had happened before, but I don't know what the reasons were. Possibly darkness.

Off topic...

I was researching the old all-star games...did you know for about 5 years there were 2 a year? I don't know any more info about them, but I never knew there were 2 a year at one time. Interesting to say the least.

my reds suck yes, but they play in a six team divison! they can really only make wild card.

Horay for our Reds sucking. Not surprised. but it is quite sad when teams such as Pittsburgh or Milwaukee are ahead of you.

Signature intentionally left blank

Horay for our Reds sucking. Not surprised. but it is quite sad when teams such as Pittsburgh or Milwaukee are ahead of you.

yeah...it really does hurt. ive been saying maybe next year for about 9 years[damn you astros!]. the griffey years have been the hardest, but i was there for his 500th so i dont know maybe it balances out. what you do after looking at the standings and see worse teams ahead of you, think of fishing and shooting guns, then think of the big red machine. works every time. but then you see talks of dunn and casey traded (trade kearns or freel gotdangit!) and you feel even more depressed :down:

Opps...I ment to take the all-star game thing otu. MLB still thinks its a good idea but its horrible.

I understand your point about the 'charm' of the 2 leagues, but I think running the leagues together helps the sport of baseball as a whole. Decisions are based on bettering the game and the league itself. Without this, you could see more rules like the DH rule in the seperate leagues. One league could offer up a stronger drug plan, or a non-player friendly rule that drives players to the other league, making one "minor" in nature. I personally feel its better for the sport, but we'll just have to disagree.

I never really had a problem with the tie thing either. There was nothing you could do, and it had happened before, but I don't know what the reasons were. Possibly darkness.

Off topic...

I was researching the old all-star games...did you know for about 5 years there were 2 a year? I don't know any more info about them, but I never knew there were 2 a year at one time. Interesting to say the least.

I agree that not much of this is good. And I don't give Selig much credit anyway. I think a lot of this stuff did take away from the tradition. I still would rather have two eight team divisions. Too many wild card teams the world series. Too many playoff games. Teams just come into the playoffs with three starters and it wipes out the whole season. If you can't win your division you shouldn't be in the series.

Revenue sharing is kind of a joke. Ask the Pirates and Royals if it is working. He was coerced into that anyway. The Montreal issue was horrible. Same thing. The strike zone. Same thing. Steroids. Say something Bud. Do something! Contraction - yeah let's contract the Twins (what are they keeping your TV revenue down in Oshkosh, Bud?) Interleague play. Okay but talk about messing up the schedule. Why don't we resolve the DH issue?

The only other solution would be expand to 32.  :D

Adding teams to Vegas and Carolina would be a nice way to solve the uneven league delimma.

And yes, I also hate Bud Selig.

6uXNWAo.png

my reds suck yes, but they play in a six team divison! they can really only make wild card.

Pre-Bud Selig the AL had two seven-team divisions and only first place in each one would make the playoffs.

If one team was hot right off the gate, you can forget about your great season.

Take a look at the 1993 NL West standings, and you'll see why they made the changes in place today.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Pre-Bud Selig the AL had two seven-team divisions and only first place in each one would make the playoffs.

Take a look at the 1993 NL West standings, and you'll see why they made the changes in place today.

wow...teams 30 plus games back.......geez

wow...teams 30 plus games back.......geez

I was pointing out that the Giants finished with a record of 103-59 and did not make the playoffs

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Archived