NBDL changes name

Dilbert

I really don't think this is a bad move.

This league is really trying to drive home the fact that they're connected to the NBA. To sports fans like us, that's a no-brainer. But some cities -- like here in Albuquerque -- have been burned by leagues like the CBA that brought franchises here with long-term goals, only to fail after a season or two.

Putting NBA in the name is likely an attempt to show cities -- and potential season ticket holders -- that this is a good investment linked to a legitimate basketball league.

The mayor here, for example, said he never would have endorsed the new team in Albuquerque if it weren't connected with the NBA based on past experiences with other franchises.

This is a terrific - and, frankly, inevitable - move on the part of the D-League.

First, being branded as the NBA Development League hammers home the fact that the league is, indeed, an official farm system for the NBA.

Second, the use of the D-League secondary logo/brand simply acknowledges the fact that most fans were using "D-League" as a short-hand name for the circuit to begin with.

The world isn't coming to an end because the National Basketball Development League is now the National Basketball Association Development League.

Second, the use of the D-League secondary logo/brand simply acknowledges the fact that most fans were using "D-League" as a short-hand name for the circuit to begin with.

This is a great point.

And as far as branding goes, the "D-League" moniker gives fans an easier way to reference the league. "NBA Development League," by comparison, is a mouthful.

I agree with BiB. This is a great move by the NBA and NBADL to emphasize the connection between the two leagues. I also like the idea (in theory) of having a player's NBA affiliate patch on the uniform, like NFL Europe. Of course, the patches could be huge and everywhere (like NFL Europe), which becomes obnoxious.

I read the league will be using a Spalding Infusion basketball. Is that what the league's using now? I've heard that model is very prone to leakage and inconsistency from ball to ball.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Archived