The Scariest Moment in Sports History

bhambruiser

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hadn't ever heard of or seen the Tom Pryce incident until just now, when I clicked that link. I had seen Clint Malarchuck's unfortunate incident o ESPN before, but what I just saw--and I've had front-row seats to many gruesome sights, having fought in OIF 2--that made ME blink. Maybe it was just the suddenness of it all. Maybe it was the fact both halves of his body actually somehow stayed together, but damn...just damn.

I've also seen the Joe Theismann incident, and THAT was some nasty $#*!. Didn't see it live (or course, I was only four or five then), but I DID see Bryant Young get his leg snapped back live on a Monday night game (I believe someone previously mentioned it in this thread). That was sick as hell.

I also watched the pitcher from Tampa Bay snap his arm while pitching. And I remember it vividly because the replay was on Sportscenter the morning I left my mom's house to go to Basic Training for the U.S. Army. I also remember a college game in which someone who was catching a pass (it was Kentucky versus some team I can't remember), caught the pass, then got tackled and either his radius or his ulna (the ones of the forearm) damn near shot out the back of his elbow. That just about made me lose it because I wasn't expecting it.

I've seen a whole lot of other bad ones too. One I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet was Jamal Crawfors (I believe it was him...whoever it was was #11 with the Bulls at the time) getting undercut by somebody as he was going for a rebound...dude basically landed right on his face and/or chest...had nothing to break his fall. I even remember his arms flailing out behind him as he hit the floor. I don't even know how he managed to get up from that one.

And while we're talking basketball, who besides me remembers Shaun Livingston of the Clippers going for a layup and landing awkwardly one his left leg...it basically snapped on him (I think it may have been his knee more so than his leg). That was ugly, too.

But there's another one that I remember VERY VIVIDLY...and it was almost a repeat of the same incident suffered by a player on the same team several years earlier, that player being Mike Utley. The player I'm talking about I believe his name was Reggie Brown, a linebacker for the Lions in like '95 or '96 or something like that (I believe he was #58). He dove into a pile either trying to recover a fumble or stop a running play, and his helmet collided head-on with someone elses...the game was stopped for like a hour or so. Dude broke his neck and never played another down...almost died on the field. (Come to think about it, the Detroit Lions have NOT had too good a history with on-fild injuries...two guys break their necks, get temporarily paralyzed in the process, and well before that they had a player die on the field after getting cold-clocked by a defender. Sad case, for sure.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

But there's another one that I remember VERY VIVIDLY...and it was almost a repeat of the same incident suffered by a player on the same team several years earlier, that player being Mike Utley. The player I'm talking about I believe his name was Reggie Brown, a linebacker for the Lions in like '95 or '96 or something like that (I believe he was #58). He dove into a pile either trying to recover a fumble or stop a running play, and his helmet collided head-on with someone elses...the game was stopped for like a hour or so. Dude broke his neck and never played another down...almost died on the field. (Come to think about it, the Detroit Lions have NOT had too good a history with on-fild injuries...two guys break their necks, get temporarily paralyzed in the process, and well before that they had a player die on the field after getting cold-clocked by a defender. Sad case, for sure.)

I remember that Reggie Brown situation myself and it happened in '97 because they were playing the Jets that day.

I remember that Reggie Brown situation myself and it happened in '97 because they were playing the Jets that day.

It was the same game that Barry Sanders reached 2000 yards for the season.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived