The Scariest Moment in Sports History

bhambruiser

I was going to say the Tim Krumrie "flopping leg" from the Super Bowl, but then I was reminded of Malarchuk. That was worse.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anytime a pitcher gets drilled in the head by a line drive. Let's consider: The pitch itself is going at least 80 MPH (assuming it's not a knuckleball or very good changeup), but could be going as fast as 98. The bat is hitting the ball at (conservatively) 60 to 70 MPH. If I remember correctly, they (ESPN) figured that Matt Clement, as an example, had less then a second to respond. It truly is a miracle that Clement only suffered minor injuries. A few people have actually been killed by line-drives like that in High School and American Legion ball.

Insert Witty Signature Here.

I remember when I was younger and I was watching the LA Rams (my team) playing the Lions and near the endzone when I think the Rams were about to score and someone on the Lions defense didnt get up after the play and it was about a half hour and they carted him off without him ever moving and everyone KNEW that he was paralized. That was scary just to see someones life change in front of your eyes just because of a sporting event, it was really sad and scary all at the same time.

Here's a couple more ...

Bryan McCabe (or was it Bryan Berard? I always get those two mixed) getting cut under the eye by Marian Hossa's stick.

Jeremy Roenick taking a slapshot to the jaw.

Donald Brashear smacking his head on the ice after Marty McSorley knocked him in the head with his stick. I think Brashear hitting the ice was probably scarier than the actual stick-swinging.

Here's a couple more ...

Bryan McCabe (or was it Bryan Berard? I always get those two mixed) getting cut under the eye by Marian Hossa's stick.

Donald Brashear smacking his head on the ice after Marty McSorley knocked him in the head with his stick. I think Brashear hitting the ice was probably scarier than the actual stick-swinging.

1- That was Berard

2- That's one way to shut up Roenick :D

3- Hitting the back of your head with that kind of force is pretty bad. Luckily he had a helmet on. But I'm sure he must have had some sort of whiplash from that....

I saw, I came, I left.

I remember when I was younger and I was watching the LA Rams (my team) playing the Lions and near the endzone when I think the Rams were about to score and someone on the Lions defense didnt get up after the play and it was about a half hour and they carted him off without him ever moving and everyone KNEW that he was paralized. That was scary just to see someones life change in front of your eyes just because of a sporting event, it was really sad and scary all at the same time.

That was defensive lineman Mike Utley that was paralyzed on the play, I'll never forget the "thumbs-up" he gave from the stretcher as they wheeled him out of the stadium...

QPR%20Sig.png

Here's a couple more ...

1- That was Berard

2- That's one way to shut up Roenick :D

3- Hitting the back of your head with that kind of force is pretty bad. Luckily he had a helmet on. But I'm sure he must have had some sort of whiplash from that....

Actually, if I'm remembering the video correctly, I think he wore his helmet really loosely, and his head hit the ice directly. I could be wrong, though.

IUe6Hvh.png

Actually, if I'm remembering the video correctly, I think he wore his helmet really loosely, and his head hit the ice directly. I could be wrong, though.

You're right... His helmet was loose, and the force of the hit made the helmet go backwards and up, so the back of his head hit the ice really hard.

That was really scary...

And how could I forget about Senna? I remember getting up early to watch F1 races at that time, and I couldn't believe what had just happened. I think I've (unfortunately) been watching some races where someone has crashed and died.

Ratzenberger, same year as Senna...

Greg Moore, indycar. That was a pretty bad accident. I immediately thought that he died because of the force of the impact...

Dale Earnhardt...

I think there was another one in CART or Indycar (during qualifs), at Laguna Seca, but I can't remember the name.

And if you check the Tour de France, there were a lot that were killed either in the Alps or the Pirrhenées, ala Fabio Casartelli 10 years ago.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

1996 Toronto Molson Indy race... A driver named Jeff Krosnoff was killed with a few laps left when his car was thrown into a fence. A race marshall was also killed in the incident.

I remember that one vividly because I was watching it on TV at the time; that was the first time I saw anybody die live in a sporting event.

For me personally it was getting hit in the face by a liner when I played first base.

But the worst I've ever seen live was when one guy on my lacrosse team was going down for a ground ball and got drilled by a guy who plays LB in football. He didn't get up for 15 minutes, and had a concussion.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

Greg Moore, indycar. That was a pretty bad accident. I immediately thought that he died because of the force of the impact...

I didn't see it live, but I saw the aftermath. Moore was quickly rising to the top of the Canadian (non-hockey) sporting landscape, and then - bam - he was gone.

Thankfully I haven't witnessed too many of these moments. There's times you see injuries that make you cringe, but I've never seen anyone die in a racecar, nor have I ever seen some of those horrible hockey injuries live.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

I would have to say Malarchuk. I can't even put into words how scary that must have been.

I remember watching the race in which Earnhardt died. It wasn't an overly horrific crash, I was shocked when I saw he died.

Well if it was ones I saw on live tv, then I think the Steve Moore incident was the worst I saw happen when it happened.

The worst I've ever seen, obviously, was Malarchuk. Someone posted a link to the video of what happened a while back on here.

I also forgot about Dennis Byrd (I think that's his name) DL of the Jets getting his neck broken, I saw that when it happened, even though I was a kid at the time.

I remember my mom telling me about a guy who got killed on the field by getting struck by lightning. Don't remember any details though.

I also forgot about Dennis Byrd (I think that's his name) DL of the Jets getting his neck broken, I saw that when it happened, even though I was a kid at the time.

I remember watching a movie on TV about that.

The scariest thing I remember was seeing Mike Mussina get drilled by a line drive by Sandy Alomar Jr. Mussina was my favorite Oriole at the time. I really hated Sandy Alomar after that. First he broke up Mussina's perfect game with 2 outs in the ninth (I was there) and then he hits him in the face with a line drive.

I remember watching the race in which Earnhardt died. It wasn't an overly horrific crash, I was shocked when I saw he died.

It doesn't look that horrific, but to suddenly stop like that and without a proper head restraint, I wasn't all that surprised about the result.

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived