The Scariest Moment in Sports History

bhambruiser

Just thought of 4 more pretty horrific ones...

--Bryce Florie of the Sox getting drilled in the face by a liner...that was just sickening.

--Willie Banks of the Tigers also not getting out of the way of a comebacker at the Jake...that was almost as brutal as the Florie one.

--Tom Browning of the Reds snapping his arm mid-pitch one night in San Diego.

--Robin Ventura (while with the White Sox) turning his ankle in a new direction a la Jason Kendall in a spring training game.

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

- Chris Pronger taking a slapshot to the chest in Detroit, causing his heart to stop beating

- Boyd Devereaux, then an Oiler, gets hit by Dallas Drake (of the Coyotes at the time); Devereaux suffered a severe concussion that caused him to miss the rest of the season and playoffs; trainers had to prevent him from swallowing his tongue

44.gif

i know this doesn't have to do with the topic but sept 11th 2001 you know those people in the planes and buildings that they had just died.  people dieing on live tv.

That was terrible. I will never forget the people inside the buildings, above where the planes hit, waving for help so they could get down; or the people that were jumping. :(

44.gif

i know this doesn't have to do with the topic but sept 11th 2001 you know those people in the planes and buildings that they had just died.  people dieing on live tv.

That was terrible. I will never forget the people inside the buildings, above where the planes hit, waving for help so they could get down; or the people that were jumping. :(

I've seen clips of people jumping off from the tower to the point of impact. :blink:

I recall a special shown on CBS, which was supposed to be a personal documentary about a man (I think he was French) and his fightfighter brother. The camera ended up inside the WTC when it collapsed. During that documentary, there were these huge "THUD" sounds from above from people falling.

I saw, I came, I left.

- Chris Pronger taking a slapshot to the chest in Detroit, causing his heart to stop beating

That was terrifying. A guy who, at the time, was seemingly invincible, going down like that. Seemed unreal.

Worst one I've seen in person (which cuts out a lot, of course) was Steve Yzerman getting hit in the eye by a shot back in 2004. He's almost always calm and collected but here he is writhing on the ice. No one knows what kind of damage has been done, the arena is completely quiet. Maybe his last moment on the ice (we'll know by next week, it looks like).

Wow. Good recall everyone. A lot of these names came flooding back that I couldn't remember last night - Tom Browning's arm, Ayrton Senna's accident. And Clint Malarchuk - how did I overlook that?

Tim Krumrie was a great call as well. That was the most gruesome thing I saw live - my dad and I scored tix to the Super Bowl from friends in Miami. We had no idea from the live action, but the agonizing replays were atrocious.

The scariest thing I ever experienced in sports personally was being nearly decapitated while pitching in high school. I caught the ball, fortunately. Incidentally, the batter was Scott Schoeneweis, now of the Blue Jays. He hit the ball real hard.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Here's another photo from what happened to Malarchuk

WARNING: The following material is graphic. If you have a weak stomach, don't bother: http://ceedeerom.bizhosting.com/dek/zone/clintmalarchuk.jpg

And here's the clip of what happened.

WARNING: This is very graphic and if you have a weak stomach, I suggest not looking at it.

http://www.us-sportsweb.de/videos/malarchuk.wmv

In may this year I was watching Fox Sports World Report like allways and they showed video of a fan of a Colombian squad litteraly being thrown over the 2nd tier of stands onto the field, he died on impact. The saddest part of it all was that he was thrown by his own fellow fans, of the the same team.

1zqy8ok.gif

In may this year I was watching Fox Sports World Report like allways and they showed video of a fan of a Colombian squad litteraly being thrown over the 2nd tier of stands onto the field, he died on impact. The saddest part of it all was that he was thrown by his own fellow fans, of the the same team.

No thats not even close to the saddest part. The saddest part is that human beings would do that to another human being. It wouldn't be less sad if it was a fan of another team.

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

I can't remember the guys name but there was a pitcher for Tampa Bay who snapped his arm throwing a pitch during agame.

He rehabbed and everything and in one of his first starts back with the Rays AA team he did the same thing again!

He retired shortly afterwards.

As for the ones I've seen, I saw the Moore crash live on TV I was devastated. I just knew he wasn't getting out of that one alive. I saw the Earnhardt crash too, I didn't think it was that bad I was very surprised when they announced his passing.

Another one I saw on highlights was the stick swinging incident in the AHL. Garrett Stafford of the Cleveland Barons got smashed in the face with a stick by Alexander Perezhogin of the Hamilton Bulldogs. Stafford immediately started going into convulsions. Scary stuff.

Malarchuk takes the cake though for the scariest moment.

SignatureNHL.png

"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"

This current thread... is it born thanks to the Clement's scare?

------------------

1) The flopping leg of the Independiente's goalkeeper Luis Islas (former GK of the Argentine National Team) in 1987. The guy gets the ball but the rival centerforward hits his leg. UGHHH

2) The awful death of Gilles Villeneuve in the 1982 Belgian Grand Prix. A crash of his car ejected him away... and he hits the asphalt. :(

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

The two injuries that freaked me out were Willis McGahee in the National Championship and Napoleon McCallum's preseason knee injury with the Raiders. It was just freakin' gross to watch their knees bend like that.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

While I didn't see it, and it wasn't on TV... my friends play hockey for UNC (Northern Colorado) for a club hockey team, or whatever. They went to BYU to play and one kid on BYU went down to block a slapshot and the puck hit him in the chest, right underneath the padding, I guess -- I believe he died instantly. My friend is the one who took the shot.

IUe6Hvh.png

This current thread... is it born thanks to the Clement's scare?

------------------

1) The flopping leg of the Independiente's goalkeeper Luis Islas (former GK of the Argentine National Team) in 1987. The guy gets the ball but the rival centerforward hits his leg. UGHHH

2) The awful death of Gilles Villeneuve in the 1982 Belgian Grand Prix. A crash of his car ejected him away... and he hits the asphalt. :(

sort of...as I stated- i heard a sports talk show talking about the same subject, so I decided to start a thread...but yes, I assume that is what got THEM on the subject

Another one to add is Al Lucas. That was truly a sad moment.

I remember watching that on tape delay here in New York and finding out that he was proounced dead just as I was watching it, scary stuff.

th_island1-med.gifStanley Cups 1980,1981,1982,1983

th_dodgers1-med.gifWorld Series Titles 1955,1959,1963,1965,1981,1988

th_boys1-med.gifSuper Bowl Titles VI,XII,XXVII,XXVIII,XXXth_jet2-med.gifSuper Bowl Title III

th_ny1-med.gifth_norangers-med.gif

newyorkislanders.gif

Archived