The Scariest Moment in Sports History

bhambruiser

Also, I'm not big on rodeo, but the shot Tuff Hedeman took to the face from a bucking bull should have killed him. instead it crushed every bone on the left side of his face. The bull was retired because he injured so many.

... is it immoral for me to PRAISE the bull for a job well done?....

I saw, I came, I left.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't see Jiri Fischer mentioned in this thread. He almost died on the Red Wings bench, the trainers saved his life. The rest of the game was rescheduled for a later date, I can't imagine how anybody could have kept playing after a fellow competitor almost died on the bench.

That collision with Freel and Hopper was bad, but not as bad as the one two years ago between Carlos Beltran and Mike Cameron of the Mets in San Diego.

Both players were hurt and Cameron suffered serious facial injuries, and needed titanium plates put to rebuild his face.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Another one I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned yet is the infamous Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini-Duk Koo Kim fight, 25 years ago this November. Kim was KO'd by Mancini and actually managed to stagger out of the ring under his own power, before collapsing and dying of his injuries. He was quite literally a dead man walking, and on live national TV no less. (This was before cable and PPV took over the sport's TV presence, mind you.)

CCSLC signature.png

I didn't see Jiri Fischer mentioned in this thread. He almost died on the Red Wings bench, the trainers saved his life. The rest of the game was rescheduled for a later date, I can't imagine how anybody could have kept playing after a fellow competitor almost died on the bench.

Yeah, I was going to mention that as well. It was hard to watch.

My three:

-Malarchuk for sure. Just plain scary.

-Jiri Fischer collapsing

-The Montreal Canadien who was shot in the throat by Therien. I've been hit there once by a ball (thankfully), and it was just a deflection, but it hurt and I couldn't breathe for a few seconds. Imagine what it must like to have a puck hit you full blast from a slapshot.

Anytime I think of scary moments in sports, I think of Thiesmann's leg competely going the wrong way and Tyrone Protho's horrific compound fracture couple of years ago against Florida.

Hell, even talking about this is starting to make me queasy.

Tony Saunders of Tampa Bay is one of those pitchers whose arm snapped mid-pitch. Actually happened to him twice. Pretty horrific.

I remember Donald Audette had a skate blade go over his wrist. Lots of bleeding and a lot of damage done. It was a very scary scene that night and I think he almost lost his hand.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9y7CTdh6Ofk This video is NOT for those with weak stomachs. Footage of a bunch of these incidents that have been mentioned.

I'm gonna go with Brian Berard, and Jiri Fishcer.

Don't know if anybody mentioned it to them, but earlier on in here somebody said Berard was hit under the eye. He was in fact hit square in the eye, hence his breif retirement from the NHL.

untitled-6.jpg

Even though it probably isn't even close to the other injuries mentioned here, the mariner moose flying in to the outfield wall and completely twisting 90 degrees after being pulled behind an ATV on rollerblades. It was one of the most hard to watch,yet bizzare moments in sports I've seen. I felt terrible fo r the guy in the suit because while going through one of the most painful moiments of his life, he was stuck in an F-ING moose suit!

a_mcnabb_i.jpg

Though Malarchuck is the worst, I still find it alittle hard to believe nobody at least mentioned Kevin Stevens. However, whats really disturbing is the surgery after the hit.

On May 14, 1993, the Penguins were playing the New York Islanders in game seven of the Patrick Division Finals when Kevin Stevens suffered a terrible injury. Early in the first period, Stevens skated in and attempted to hit Islanders defenseman Rich Pilon, but instead was met by Pilon's visor which promptly knocked Stevens unconscious. He fell and hit the ice face first, and was unable to use his hands or arms to cushion the blow. Stevens then needed extensive reconstructive surgery on his face. Doctors cut an incision below his hairline from ear-to-ear, which was later closed with over 100 stitches, peeled back his skin and reassembled the bones in Stevens face with the use of metal plates.

At 28 seconds into this video:

oBIgzrL.png

Yeah i remember that one vividly as well,and i think it was the right call to suspend the game at the time

Didn't Yashin also get skated on? I remember someone skating on his wrist.

Ones I remember are...

- Beltran and Cameron collision

- Byran Berard

- Jiri Fischer

- Steve Moore

I have never seen the Malarchuck but quite frankly I don't want to.

Aside from Clint Malarchuk, nearly every stick and ball moment mentioned pales in comparsion to some of the things that have happened at the Indianapolis 500.

Salt Walther (oddly not found on youtube), Swede Savage, Pat Bedard, Kevin Cogan, Mark Dismore, Tom Sneva, Stan Fox, Gordon Smiley, Alessandro Zampedri, Eddie Sachs and Dave MacDonald. And that's just Indy. That doesn't even include Greg Moore, Jeff Krosnoff, Kenny Brack or Alex Zanardi.

Not all fatal, but frightening in a way other sports seldom come close to.

The Salt Walther one is the scariest in my memory since his feet were sticking out where the front of the car used to be and burning fuel was being sprayed into the stands. There were lots of changes to both the cars and the track after that one.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Even though it probably isn't even close to the other injuries mentioned here, the mariner moose flying in to the outfield wall and completely twisting 90 degrees after being pulled behind an ATV on rollerblades. It was one of the most hard to watch,yet bizzare moments in sports I've seen. I felt terrible fo r the guy in the suit because while going through one of the most painful moiments of his life, he was stuck in an F-ING moose suit!

I'll admit, it was pretty funny seeing them literally drag the Mariner Moose behind the outfield wall.....

are u kidding?!?!?! that was hilarious! not scary!

Archived