Dan Blackburn's "Blocker- Glove"

Snowcap30

No disrespect to this guy and his injury but why doesn't hockey just remove the goalie and cut a hole in the dasher boards the about a foot in diameter. itr would about the same challeng as they have now. That be cheaper on clubs one less high paid player. Those goalie pads are getting way too out of hand.

RobbyBox2.jpg

No disrespect to this guy and his injury but why doesn't hockey just remove the goalie and cut a hole in the dasher boards the about a foot in diameter. itr would about the same challeng as they have now. That be cheaper on clubs one less high paid player. Those goalie pads are getting way too out of hand.

goalie pads aren't that big, i mean jsut cause goalies are getting better an dplayers can't score doesn't mean the NHL should make goalies with less padding, I think its bullcrap that they keep getting more and more regulations to them, The players jsut need to score more.

spacer.png

No disrespect to this guy and his injury but why doesn't hockey just remove the goalie and cut a hole in the dasher boards the about a foot in diameter. itr would about the same challeng as they have now.  That be cheaper on clubs one less high paid player. Those goalie pads are getting way too out of hand.

goalie pads aren't that big, i mean jsut cause goalies are getting better an dplayers can't score doesn't mean the NHL should make goalies with less padding, I think its bullcrap that they keep getting more and more regulations to them, The players jsut need to score more.

Have you ever seen games from the early to mid 80s? There's no doubt that goalie equipment has grown dramatically in size. They showed a comparison on TV here the other day of a goalie mitt from the 80s compared to Robert Esche's current mit. The 80s one was basically like a glorified first-baseman's mitt, while Esche's absolutely dwarfed it in size.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

i heard that Dan Blackbun is using TWO blockers bc of his shoulder surgery.

Back on topic...

What advantage would the blocker provide if the surgery was on his shoulder? I could see it if it was hand surgery, but I'm confused here.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Back on topic...

What advantage would the blocker provide if the surgery was on his shoulder? I could see it if it was hand surgery, but I'm confused here.

"My shoulder is basically a permanent disability," he said. "It's not going to get better, so I'm basically working around it with this glove. The injury caused me to lose a muscle in my shoulder and the muscle that I lost is the one that would be the outward rotation for my glove-hand, but sometimes holding a blocker, the way you hold your arm is different, so it's a different muscle and it's like I'm not injured."

Back on topic...

"My shoulder is basically a permanent disability," he said. "It's not going to get better, so I'm basically working around it with this glove. The injury caused me to lose a muscle in my shoulder and the muscle that I lost is the one that would be the outward rotation for my glove-hand, but sometimes holding a blocker, the way you hold your arm is different, so it's a different muscle and it's like I'm not injured."

Thanks for the explaination!

Archived