Syracuse in white?

RidgeRunner

The new uniforms for Syracuse don't look half bad but I'm not sure why they're wearing white instead of blue or orange. Any ideas?

Also, the tops and bottoms for WVU match. They were really bad about mismatching the tops and bottoms last year, leaving the colors of the batwings completely different from the stripes on the pants. And while I'm not a big fan of all one color sets, here's to hoping they can keep it straight for the remainder of the season...

They wore white because the new uniforms are meant to be a modernization of the teams glory years of the 50's and 60's, The days of Jim Brown, Ernie Davis and Floyd Little. Back then they wore white at home. The following article from the Post Standard explains.

Post Standard Article - SU Wearing White - 9/2/05

These might be the best uniforms in football. college, pro, high school. they reek of football

I kind of agree with you. Those uniforms are one of the best in college football. It's too bad then have to ruin it by wearing white at home. That should be outlawed in the college game, and the pros for that matter.

6uXNWAo.png

I have 2 issues with Syracuse. First of all the nickname. Bare with me for a minute. They were called the Orangemen, then dropped the, "men", to just be the Syracuse Orange. Why couldn't they have kept the Orangemen and used a knight logo, or a barbarians/vikings logo, I don't know, maybe even a logo like the Canton Legends.

Anyone else have any ideas? I will say this, I had no problem with the name of Orangemen and the logo being an Indian.

Bengalssuck.jpg

I have 2 issues with Syracuse. First of all the nickname. Bare with me for a minute. They were called the Orangemen, then dropped the, "men", to just be the Syracuse Orange. Why couldn't they have kept the Orangemen and used a knight logo, or a barbarians/vikings logo, I don't know, maybe even a logo like the Canton Legends.

Anyone else have any ideas? I will say this, I had no problem with the name of Orangemen and the logo being an Indian.

The indian mascot was scrapped in 1978., and the "Orangemen" title didn't mean the indian.

http://www.syr.edu/aboutsu/memorabilia/mascot.html

The Orangemen -> Orange thing was done because Nike thought they would sell more merchandise if they changed the name. There was absolutely no PC pressure involved, just dollar signs in their eyes.

1zgyd8w.jpg

QUOTE (BuddyLane @ Tuesday, September 6th, 2005 - 13:53:51)

The indian mascot was scrapped in 1978., and the "Orangemen" title didn't mean the indian.

http://www.syr.edu/aboutsu/memorabilia/mascot.html

The Orangemen -> Orange thing was done because Nike thought they would sell more merchandise if they changed the name. There was absolutely no PC pressure involved, just dollar signs in their eyes.

Gotcha. The name Syracuse Orange still SUCKS!!! Sorry. I don't think they are going to sell much merchandise by using the name orange, or using that orange ball. I could be wrong but the whole idea of the Syracuse Orange is just rediculous. I still think they should change the name back to the Orangemen and come up with a good logo to help promote the schools athletics teams.

Bengalssuck.jpg

There was nothing wrong with Otto the Orange or their block SU. But yes, "Orange" is dumb. Color nicknames only work if your school has had it forever, and it's a special color, like, say, the Harvard Crimson or the Stanford Cardinal. Notice how Marquette may have caved on Warriors -> Golden Eagles, but realized "Gold" was going too far.

Basically, Syracuse fixed something that wasn't broken (even broke something that was fixed).

1zgyd8w.jpg

I remeber at the time another reason for the change to just Orange was to unify team name across the sports.

The men's teams were Orangemen and women's teams were Orangewomen.  Now they all have the same nickname: Orange.

Which is also crap, because tons of schools have "Lady" or "Women" modifiers on their women's teams.

EDIT: \/\/ that's what you get for being an east coast guy. thanks for the info

1zgyd8w.jpg

Color nicknames only work if your school has had it forever, and it's a special color, like, say, the Harvard Crimson or the Stanford Cardinal.

I'll give you Harvard. But Stanford didn't officially adopt "Cardinal" [singular for the color, not the bird] until 1981. The school colors have been around for over a century, but they were known as the Indians from 1930-1972, and the Cardinals [plural for the bird] from 1972-1981. Not exactly "forever", since that would make me 6 years older than forever.

Maybe Syracuse could come up with a unique shade of orange to satisfy your other criterion. How 'bout the Syracuse Raw Salmon? B)

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived