Anyone going to the Saints game in S.A.?

rainmaker17

I'll be in the lower end zone in one of the corners. I'm going for a number of reasons. For one I love football and have never seen a game in S.A., let alone been inside the Alamodome. I'm also somewhat drawn to unusual things that happen in sports, and I think this series of events is truly unique in NFL history and I would like to take it in, reflect upon it...and pull for the Saints.

Lastly, I really want to be in the Alamo City to see how they pull the whole thing off. As I've posted before I want the Saints to somehow remain in New Orleans. Not San Antonio, and God forbid NOT Los Apathy *cough* err..Angeles.

newsig.jpg

I'm not going, but I thought I would sing this....

Oh when the Bills go charging in

Oh how I want to be with Buffalo

When the Bills go go chargin in......

or

Oh when the Saints go marching in

Oh when the Saints go marching in

Oh how I want to be with St Kilda

When the Saints go marching in......

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Why sing all that when it can all be summed up into two words

WHO DEY :D

Signature intentionally left blank

Why sing all that when it can all be summed up into two words

WHO DEY :D

exactly, and before you saints fans come in and say that we stole it from you, you better look at this.

The Bengals were going up against the Steelers in the middle of October. Both had records of 4-2. The Steelers lost their first two games and then went on to win 4 in a row. It was the lowly Bengals playing the Super Bowl Champs of 1979 who was 9-7 in 1980. It was a big deal beating the Steelers because the Bengals already were defeated by co division leaders Houston and Cleveland who were 11-5 the year before.

At that time Pittsburgh was the big game of the year. That and Buffalo who was 11-5 also in 1980. The Buffalo Bills game didn't mean as much because the Bengals only beat teams that had worse records than them in 1981 before that game. The first two games were against the Jets and Seahawks who had records of 4-12 in 1980. And Baltimore who won 1 more games than the Bengals in 1980.

The Pittsburgh game meant more than all other games at the time. The Bengals Superbowl at the time. They won their Superbowl beating the Steelers 34-7. But the Bengals had a let down game following that game going against the Saints or (Ain'ts at that time). Losing 17-7.

The future didn't look bright. Because next on the schedule every team had a winning record the year before. And the next 3 team were 11-5 after the 1980 season. First Houston who already beat us, then the Chargers and Rams. All three were in the playoffs the prior two years,The Rams and Oilers prior 3 years. San Diego was picked to win the Superbowl in 1981. Plus we had Cleveland again, who were 11-5 and Atlanta who finish 1980 at 12-4. Five of the teams had a total of 24 loses in 1980

Cincinnati went on a great run. After starting out 5-3. They beat Houston by 13, San Diego by 23 and Los Angeles by 14. The chant started after the San Diego game. Second game of November. The Bengals had 5 games in November and won all 5. Beating every team by more than 2 TD's. The Bengals only lost one more game all the way up to the Superbowl. That game was against the 49'ers who they also played and lost to in the Superbowl.

The chant started, Who They think is going to beat them Bengals. ( Cincinnati was on a roll.they were 7-3 a season after they finished 6-10 and prior two seasons 4-12) When some hollered, "Who They think is going to beat them Bengals" Other fans would reply with "Nobody"

A week or two later. The whole chant started to grow, and the nobody was stretched out to Noooo Boooooooody. Coming from an old car commericial of (Red Frazier Ford ) who was out of business at the time. But had a very popular commercial, Who's going to give you a better deal than Red Frazier? Nooo Boooody.

Following that, the chant put was on a 45 record. Recorded by Cincinnati's WLW weatherman Who's first name was Zip.

From the banks of the Ohio comes that orange and black machine

They're the Cincinnati Bengals The finest ever seen

With stripes upon their helmets and fire in their eyes

They'll take the field they will not yield

They're strong and tough and wise

Who Dey.Who Dey, Who Dey think gonna beat them Bengals

Who Dey, Who Dey, Who Dey think gonna beat them Bengals

Hear that Bengal growling, mean and angry

See that Bengal prowling, lean and hungry

An offensive brute, run, pass, or boot

And defensively, he's rough errrr tough errrr

Cincinnati Bengals that's the team were gonna cheer to victory

Touchdown Bengals!!

Put some points up on the board and win a game for Cincinnati!

Noooooobodyyyyy

When Cincinnati made the playoffs, the Hudepohl beer company jumped on the Who Dey bandwagon with their own version in Hu Dey Beer.

Who they think is going to beat them Bengals. Quickly changed to Who Dey think is gonna beat dem Bengals.

Now you will hear stories of where it started and it wasn't Cincinnati. But I assure you. It came from Cincinnati during November of 1981.

Who Dat?. The New Orleans Saints fans want to lay claim to Who Dey through Who Dat. .Not only did it not start with the Saints, I can show where the Saints picked it up and who were the people who changed it to Who Dat.

The Saint's Who Dat started in 1983, Bum Phillips had the Saints fans feeling playoffs for the first time in their history. They had their best start ever with a 5-3 record halfway through the season. They lost their first two games by a total of 4 points. They could of easily been 6-0, or 7-1 at the halfway point.

They picked up Who Dat somewhere during those first 8 games, but their dream season wasn't to be. They Saints finished opposite of how they started, winning only three more games and finishing 8-8

The Saint's Who Dat started up again in 1987 the year they started out 3-3 and never lost another game until they made the playoffs.

Losing to the Viking in their first playoff game. Before 1987 the Saints were known as the Ain'ts, never having a winning record until 1987. They went 8-8 twice, but could never end up above .500.

The reason many believe it came from the Saints, was because their Who Dat chant was popular the 1987 season and the Bengals Who Dey chant was ringing loud in peoples ears the Bengals Super Bowl season of 1988.

The Saints took Who Dat from LSU.

It was reported that LSU football was using a who dat chant in 1982. When they went to the Orange Bowl against Nebraska. Orange Bowl History

A year after the Bengals played in the Super Bowl. LSU finished behind Georgia for the Sec championship. Georgia play Penn St in the Sugar Bowl and lost to the National Champions. LSU lost to Nebraska who finished with second best record in the nation.

The Sec had 4 team in top 20 in 1982. And LSU beat every team in the conference except Georgia (National Championship Game) and Tennessee which they had tied. LSU had the Tiger connection with the Bengals. And in 1981 the Bengals had LSU record holder Charles Alexander on their roster. Who still holds the single season rushing record at LSU. So the alum from LSU watch the Bengals closely because of Charles Alexander.

So it was easy for them to pick up the Who Dey chant and revise it to Who Dat when they started winning in 1982.

LSU had the same type Cinderella story as the Bengals. They finished 3-7-1 in 1981 and only beat one conference team. But turned it around in 1982 going 8-2-1 losing only to Georgia in the SEC. The LSU Tigers lost the Orange Bowl game 21-20 against the second best team in the nation at the time. Nebraska.

iceohio.jpgvultshelmet.png

crossout3.png

Just got back tonight. Great time and I have to tip my cap to San Antonio. The near sell out crowd was raucous and very pro Saints. I think there were two penalties on Buffalo due to crowd noise. Traffic and parking we're no big deal (wish I could say the same for Dallas). I'm not sure about the whole 'Who Dey?' versus 'Who Dat?' debate, but it was pretty funny to hear people in the concourse after the game screaming "WHO DAT?!?!" at the top of their lungs. Met a lot of nice people and I'm really glad I had the chance to go.

newsig.jpg

I'll be watching Don Criqui and Rich Gannon on CBS for sure.

They really blow, don't they?

If it wasn't obvious before the game that they are the last rung of broadcast teams for CBS by the fact that the game basically had one tv market instead of two (Buffalo plus N'Orleans), then it became obvious after watching those two work. :down:

And thanks mac! As a former Dayton resident and closet Bengal fan, it alwas bugs me when people confuse those the "Whod's".

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

Archived