Pat Knight named coach-designates at Texas Tech

Jigga

I've been away for a couple of days and just noticed that Pat Knight gets contract to succeed father at Tech. That got me thinking about other arrangements that a coach was designated as the successor to the coach in place at the time (Gene Keady and Matt Painter at Purdue, Barry Alvarez and Bret Bielema at Wisconsin, etc). What do you guys think of this? Is this something that just started in the last 5 years? Personally, I don't really like it. It seems that they aren't necessarily getting the best man for the job, just the coach's favorite assisstant. Something about that strikes me as flying in the face of competition and it just doesn't sit well with me...

Your thoughts?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

My thoughts?? Pat Knight sucks and wouldn't even have an assistant job if Bobby Knight wasn't his daddy.

And wasn't Lou Holtz's son suppose to take over at South Carolina when he left?? I thought I had heard that when Holtz too over a few years back. Obviously that's not happening with Spurrier there now.

6uXNWAo.png

I dont know he may be as good as Bowdens kids, Bobby Knight would not do this if he didnt think his son coudl handle it, he has too much integrity.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

My thoughts?? Pat Knight sucks and wouldn't even have an assistant job if Bobby Knight wasn't his daddy.

And wasn't Lou Holtz's son suppose to take over at South Carolina when he left?? I thought I had heard that when Holtz too over a few years back. Obviously that's not happening with Spurrier there now.

I agree with your first point 100%

Lou holtz wanted his son, Skip, to take over, but the university wouldn't committ to it, IIRC. I think the Holtzes knew about the upcoming infractions so decided to not even push the envelope. Skippy is now running the East Carolina program into the ground.

Anyone else care to chime in? Not even about the Knights, just the concept of coach-designates in general?

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Dont forget about the Nelsons.....Don and Donnie.Don brought the Mavericks all the way back from lottery hell and then the deal was made for Donnie to succeed him,which he did.

Oh wait.....someone must not have told Avery Johnson this.

98Falcons.png

Washington State has already announced that Tony Bennett, Dick Bennett's son, will take over the men's basketball program whenever Dick decides to retire.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/spor...rs.xml&items=59

Tony Bennett's a little old for that job isn't he???

_817680_tony300.jpg

Yes, I know it's not that Tony Bennett...

I dont know he may be as good as Bowdens kids, Bobby Knight would not do this if he didnt think his son coudl handle it, he has too much integrity.

Bobby Knight would not do this if he didnt think his son coudl handle it, he has too much integrity.

Integrity? Bobby Knight?

:lol::lol::lol:

I see what you are saying. As a graduate of Wisconsin, I am not sure how I feel about the early committment to Bielema. Some schools like to keep it "in the program" but who is to say Bielema is the best? (apparently he's been somewhat of a rising star and would have gotten something soon). I suppose it is somewhat conducive to a "good ol' boy network." Part of it is that there is stability for recruiting. From day one, they know who the next coach is. There is an advantage.

The Knight thing strikes me. I hope someone in that program really has a sense that he can be a head coach. Because nepotism has defined his adult life.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Part of it is that there is stability for recruiting. From day one, they know who the next coach is. There is an advantage.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner.

I'm not saying that the whole father / son thing is right, but the early succession thing can be tied back to recruiting. A lot of people wish that Paterno / PSU would at least name a successor for when JoePa decides to hang it up. A lot of PSU's recruiting issues could be fixed if they'd do that.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

No Coach has more interity then Bobby Knight.

In some ways that is true. And some ways soooo false.

Integrity:

-Graduating Players.

-Not Cheating

-Admirable in that he has always been charitable with time and money

-Does commercials so that Texas Tech can pay him less, which helps the athletic departhment

No Integrity:

-The chair throw and other such instances

-Verbal (and possible physical) abuse to certain of his own players

Does the good outweigh the bad?

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived