White Sox 1976 Question

cranium

Does anyone recall if they ever wore the white alt hat in a game? I hadn't noticed it until I saw this photo on uniwatch and spotted it today in a Chicago history photobook when they introduced them at a press conference.

al_1976_chicago.gif

savedpictures013-1.jpg

If you can track down any 1977 Topps baseball cards, you'll see White Sox players wearing the white caps at Yankee Stadium.  Photos of course were taken the year before.

That is my recollection regarding the cards as well. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean they were worn in games, though I don't think anyone had heard of/thought of the idea of a "batting practice cap" at that point in time.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

My recollection is that they wore them once or twice, but were forced to abandon them when hitters complained that it was too distracting to see the ball being delivered from a pitcher wearing a white hat.

I wonder why those same complaints didn't surface in the 60s or in the 90s when the Reds wore white caps.

Although I have no proof; I was at the game at Yankee Stadium when they wore the white caps. It was Home Game 5 in the "New" Yankee Staium. April 21, 1976. I think I still have stub at my parent's house. Of course that would not prove what cap was worn!

My recollection is that they wore them once or twice, but were forced to abandon them when hitters complained that it was too distracting to see the ball being delivered from a pitcher wearing a white hat.

That explanation doesn't sound right to me. In 2001, the White Sox had a Sunday uniform that was the exact clone of the 1917 World Series jersey and that had a white hat. Also, before 1930, white caps were pretty common. A white ball coming out of the white shirt of a home pitcher should be much more distracting than a white hat.

I wonder why those same complaints didn't surface in the 60s or in the 90s when the Reds wore white caps.

It sounds like bullplop to me. If it's so hard to see why have white shirts? My guess is: It strayed from tradition and baseball likes tradition

Archived