FRANCIS NUMBER RETIRED

Le Québécois

The Carolina Hurricanes announced today that they will retire the number 10 worn by Ron Francis for 16 of his 23 years career with the Harford/Carolina franchise.

Well deserve, I always liked that player and being a Montreal Canadiens fan, I would have taken him in MTL anytime...

Le QUÉBÉCOIS

sign_zps3c6a5c3f.jpg

The Carolina Hurricanes announced today that they will retire the number 10 worn by Ron Francis for 16 of his 23 years career with the Harford/Carolina franchise.

Well deserve, I always liked that player and being a Montreal Canadiens fan, I would have taken him in MTL anytime...

No doubt, when I was a 'Canes fan a while back and I still like them a little bit now. I loved Ron Francis and I was hoping he was going to come back to Carolina this season. But, obviously not. Either way, a well played career and a legendary player of the game. :hockeysmiley::notworthy:

Nice to see TeamKarmanos doing the right thing for once (sorry, seeing I was a Whaler fan until they left town, it's really hard for me to say ANYTHING positive about that pony-tail wearing twit that owns the team...think Art Modell and Cleveland fans you'd get the idea here :lol: )

A worthy honor of a great player....Long Live The Franchise! :hockeysmiley:

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Nice to see TeamKarmanos doing the right thing for once (sorry, seeing I was a Whaler fan until they left town, it's really hard for me to say ANYTHING positive about that pony-tail wearing twit that owns the team...think Art Modell and Cleveland fans you'd get the idea here :lol: )

A worthy honor of a great player....Long Live The Franchise! :hockeysmiley:

The Hartford Wolf*Pack should do the same thing...are you listening, MSG?

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Why would the Wolf Pack, a team Francis never played for, and for whose parent club he never played, retire his number? Don't get me wrong, Francis was a fantastic player, and deserves this honour amongst many others, and certainly deserves acclaim beyond what he's gotten through his career. But it makes no sense.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Why would the Wolf Pack, a team Francis never played for, and for whose parent club he never played, retire his number? Don't get me wrong, Francis was a fantastic player, and deserves this honour amongst many others, and certainly deserves acclaim beyond what he's gotten through his career. But it makes no sense.

Without Francis, there's no Hartford hockey.

Without Hartford hockey, there's no Francis.

His #10 deserves to hang in the arena he helped fill night after night.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Why would the Wolf Pack, a team Francis never played for, and for whose parent club he never played, retire his number?  Don't get me wrong, Francis was a fantastic player, and deserves this honour amongst many others, and certainly deserves acclaim beyond what he's gotten through his career.  But it makes no sense.

Without Francis, there's no Hartford hockey.

Without Hartford hockey, there's no Francis.

Mmm, no. Doesn't seem right.

By that logic, the Canes shouldn't retire his number, given their dismal attendance history.

OK, so allow me for a moment to correct this rampant fallacy...

Attendance in Carolina is not what some in the media would make it out to be. Over the last 3 played seasons, they're averaging over 14K in attendance. Sure, that's not at the top of the league, but it's sure as shootin' not at the bottom either. You can find backup for my numbers, from a former Hartford fan who keeps track so there's no bias, here.

As a former Whaler fan, I think retiring 10 in Hartford is the right thing to do. There's a precedent, with the re-hanging of the old Hartford banners a couple of years back by MSG and the Wolfpack. I believe they retired Dineen's 11 as well up there. (Which, by the way, needs to be done in Carolina also.) Hartford is like Winnipeg in that their team was taken for them for questionable reasons, and they both have a strong fan base that knows their history. Retiring 10 in the green and blue up at the Hartford Civic Center is the right thing to do, and I hope that the MSG and Wolfpack organizations strongly consider making that move.

By the way, the date of the retirement ceremony at the RBC Center is 28 January 2006.

By that logic, the Canes shouldn't retire his number, given their dismal attendance history.

OK, so allow me for a moment to correct this rampant fallacy...

Attendance in Carolina is not what some in the media would make it out to be. Over the last 3 played seasons, they're averaging over 14K in attendance. Sure, that's not at the top of the league, but it's sure as shootin' not at the bottom either. You can find backup for my numbers, from a former Hartford fan who keeps track so there's no bias, here.

As a former Whaler fan, I think retiring 10 in Hartford is the right thing to do. There's a precedent, with the re-hanging of the old Hartford banners a couple of years back by MSG and the Wolfpack. I believe they retired Dineen's 11 as well up there. (Which, by the way, needs to be done in Carolina also.) Hartford is like Winnipeg in that their team was taken for them for questionable reasons, and they both have a strong fan base that knows their history. Retiring 10 in the green and blue up at the Hartford Civic Center is the right thing to do, and I hope that the MSG and Wolfpack organizations strongly consider making that move.

By the way, the date of the retirement ceremony at the RBC Center is 28 January 2006.

No...they never retired #11...it's just out of circulation for the Pack b/c the Rangers are retiring it for Messier. For that matter, I don't see the Pack using numbers 1, 7, or 35 either (seeing those are retired by the Blueshirts for Ed Giacomin, Rod Gilbert, and Mike Richter)...

It'd be a classy move by MSG CT to honor the past by hoisting both #'s 10 & 11 in the ol green & blue to the rafters.

However, the only number that's going up there anytime soon is probably gonna be Kenny "The Mayor Of Hartford" Gernander's #12

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Archived