Mls

thegame4219

I think the soccer field is beautiful in its simplicity and think it would look ridiculous and way too "americanized" with logos and wordmarks all over the field.  

Plus, once that threshold was crossed, it would only serve as an excuse to start putting ads on the field, same as ice rinks, which would ruin the field, plain and simple.

In addition, with the exception of the Columbus Crew and Los Angeles Galaxy, MLS teams are not the primary tenants in their facilities. It's a big enough pain in the posterior for grounds crews to change insignia back-and-forth between a pair of NFL tenants (i.e. the Giants and Jets @ Giants Stadium/The Meadowlands) or between NFL franchises and major-college tenants, once the college and pro football seasons have started. As it is, the grounds crew in non-exclusive MLS playing facilities is having to change-over the field striping patterns on a regular basis. I just don't believe that they're going to give themselves any more work than is absolutely necessary.

Brian in Boston

Yeah I agree, mainly because of the pace and rhythm of the game. It would be fairly pointless, and distracting for fans at the game. Also the centre circle in soccer is one of the areas that gets 'cut-up' and run on the most, so I doubt a logo would look ar all impressive at the end of the game.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

the only logos i've seen on soccer fields have been the champions league 'star ball' and an MLS logo for the leageu's first game way back in 96.  and those were noticeably subtle(like some mlb outfield grass patterns).  indoor teams have their logos at midfield, but it wouldn't be practical for outdoor teams.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

yeah, the idea of field art for soccer sounds crazy to me.

if we started that trend, the clubs in europe might go a little buck-wild with it.

CARLSBERG splashed across the field in Anfield

speaking of which, I just got my Liverpool wall banner in the mail!  :D

you will never walk alone.......

I believe some Aussie rules football and rugby in UK and Australia have painted ads throughout the field that are actually painted at an angle that looks distorted to the crowd actually at the event, but aligns with the camera angles to make a dimensional optical illusion in the field.  The first few times I saw that, it was pretty distracting.

the only logos i've seen on soccer fields have been the champions league 'star ball' and an MLS logo for the leageu's first game way back in 96. and those were noticeably subtle(like some mlb outfield grass patterns). indoor teams have their logos at midfield, but it wouldn't be practical for outdoor teams.

The only times I've seen champions league use a logo in the centre circle is before the game, using canvas, which is taken away before the start of the game, but there for ceremonials before hand.

And point taken syphi about. The only thing I would say is that the pace and rhythm of a soccer game would make logos on the field distracting.

If anyone has played FIFA 2003 they do what quite a lot of TV companies do in the UK and superimpose club crests onto the field with the score or other stats shown as well. But I don't think anything more than that would ever happen.

Oh and I almost forgot, any Tottenham Hotspur fans out there :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:   That'll teach you for stealing our manager!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

FIFA prohibits the field of play to have any kinds of logos or advertising painted on, or virtually projected onto the field during play. The only markings allowed on the ground are the white lines setting out the field. Also team aren't supposed to have the goal nets coloured to form any kind of design!

Sometimes the grass is rolled to look like objects (eg. the Champions League final at Old Trafford this year had the 'star' ball in the centre circle).

Rugby (both Union & League) in both Australia and New Zealand have advertising painted onto the field that is calibrated (for want of a better word) for television cameras, whilst AFL (Aussie Rules) have the major sponsor incorporated into the league logo on the wings. However during this year's final series the broadcaster (Channel 10) have had their logo painted into the centre circle as well.

Cricket sponsors also have their logos calibrated for camera positions at either end of the pitch, thus making them look rather odd for those at the ground.

Archived