Why Cowboys?

lypator

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WOW, now that's a stunningly great uniform. Yet another example of how the 60s and early 70s were the best of times in NFL uniform design.

I think that photo is from either '74 or '75. Note that Staubauch is wearing a Maxpro helmet, and I don't remember when he switched to those from the Riddell suspension helmets. I do remember him wearing what I now know as a Maxpro helmet in the 1975 season (including Super Bowl X).

John in KY- Thanks for the old Staubach (and Preston Pearson and Pat Donovan) picture. Those blue uni's were by far the best the Cowboys ever wore. No extra stars, no number outlines, just classy and to the point. For when they have to wear 'em, I wish they'd go back to these, but they are cursed in blue!! Keep the Cowboys in white!!

John in KY- Thanks for the old Staubach (and Preston Pearson and Pat Donovan) picture. Those blue uni's were by far the best the Cowboys ever wore. No extra stars, no number outlines, just classy and to the point. For when they have to wear 'em, I wish they'd go back to these, but they are cursed in blue!! Keep the Cowboys in white!!

I completely agree - but they should use that 60s-70s version of the "metallic silver blue", bring back the number font with those serifs, and use the darker royal blue for the numbers and stripes. I don't even mind the little black border stripes on either jersey.

The dark royal in the picture I posted should only be for those rare occasions when they have to wear blue.

There's no reason they couldn't do that now. Move the numbers up to the TV-number level, and there you are. In fact, I'd even stay silent about the difference between the silver helmet and the "metallic blue" pants.

I think the Cowboys only wore the TV numbers on the sleeves on both jerseys from 1970-1973; didn't they move back to the shoulders on the white jerseys in 1974? Maybe they wore the dark royal ones so infrequently they just kept them around for 4-5 seasons - rember, the Redskins always wore the burgandy at home until the Joe Gibbs era, so there may have been a season or two where the blue might never have been worn.

DallasCowboys_UN_2002-9999_TEX.jpg

Sooo many issues here.

I wouldnt have a problem with it, if they just couldnt get in textiles to match the metalic paints on the helmet, or some other difficulty. But no. This is SPECIFIED to be different. not only different form the helmet, but different from each other.

They need to pick ONE silver, and ONE blue, and rock with it.

On top of the random bag of 15 colors... how different are the home and away? A lot, thats how much! The double outline stripes on the numbers, the different sleeve striping.. the star on the blue but not the white...

This isnt as bad as the bills, or as bad as the horrible, horrible teal of the Dolphins.. but its one fo the worst uniform piles of garbage in the NFL.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

When they use the white jerseys on the road, which is most of the time, do they still switch to the Silver(-Gray) pants, or do they use the silver-green, like they would at home? It's hard to tell from the lighting/sun in other stadiums.

"Actually, the point here is this: the Cowboys use TWO different sets of pants (Silver-Green at home, Silver(-Gray) on the road"

They should go back to their seventies uniforms. Their current uniforms irritate me to no end. Black outlines on the sleeves, big ugly chunky numerals, and three different shades of everything. I'd be afraid of those garish navy blue jerseys too. Yuck!

When they use the white jerseys on the road, which is most of the time, do they still switch to the Silver(-Gray) pants, or do they use the silver-green, like they would at home? It's hard to tell from the lighting/sun in other stadiums.

"Actually, the point here is this: the Cowboys use TWO different sets of pants (Silver-Green at home, Silver(-Gray) on the road"

They use the Silver-Green pants with the White jerseys, and the Silver(-Gray) pants with the Navy jerseys.

I should have been more specific.

They should go back to their seventies uniforms. Their current uniforms irritate me to no end. Black outlines on the sleeves, big ugly chunky numerals, and three different shades of everything. I'd be afraid of those garish navy blue jerseys too. Yuck!

The Black trim on the stripes have been there since they went to the Metallic Blue in the '60s...

Even on the dark jerseys.

They should go back to their seventies uniforms.  Their current uniforms irritate me to no end.  Black outlines on the sleeves, big ugly chunky numerals, and three different shades of everything.  I'd be afraid of those garish navy blue jerseys too.  Yuck!

The Black trim on the stripes have been there since they went to the Metallic Blue in the '60s...

Pantone - in all honesty I don't really remember any games before about 1969 or so, and until I saw the photos of the Cowboys with the 3-stripe sleeves a couple of years ago I never knew they existed.

I can't tell from any of the photos of the 3-stripe jerseys if they had the black trim or not. You can definitely tell the black trim has always been present since the team went to the 2-stripe look, but what about the on the 3-stripe jerseys from 64-65?

Seeing Down Under Husker's circa 1982 photo of Drew Pearson - anyone remember the original navy jerseys from 1981 where the numbers had white borders without any spacing (like the stripes in this picture)? That was a good move to add the spacing on these.

They should go back to their seventies uniforms.  Their current uniforms irritate me to no end.  Black outlines on the sleeves, big ugly chunky numerals, and three different shades of everything.  I'd be afraid of those garish navy blue jerseys too.  Yuck!

Pantone - in all honesty I don't really remember any games before about 1969 or so, and until I saw the photos of the Cowboys with the 3-stripe sleeves a couple of years ago I never knew they existed.

I can't tell from any of the photos of the 3-stripe jerseys if they had the black trim or not. You can definitely tell the black trim has always been present since the team went to the 2-stripe look, but what about the on the 3-stripe jerseys from 64-65?

Seeing Down Under Husker's circa 1982 photo of Drew Pearson - anyone remember the original navy jerseys from 1981 where the numbers had white borders without any spacing (like the stripes in this picture)? That was a good move to add the spacing on these.

Let me clarify...I'm not being very clear here. My apologies. The Black trim has been present on the White jerseys since 1966...when the Cowboys went to the two-stripe configuration. It was also present on the Royal Blue jerseys as well (and the socks too). In 1981, when they modified the road uniforms to use a completely different color set, they did NOT include the Black trim. But it remains to this day on the White jerseys.

Maybe I'm just reliving my childhood through high-school years, but I still would like to see the dark royal come back - like in this photo:

Staubach,Roger1.jpg

However, Reebok, Riddell and Schutt would have have to come together and make the helmets and pants match.

I like the numbers too. That little nub on the top of the 2 is unique, but not ridiculous like numbers on some of the modern uniforms.

Can't stand the blue Cowboys jerseys. Why white numbers with white outlines? The Danny White era blues were perfect with silver numbers outlined in blue and then white AND no star on the stripes.

Only problem with the whites is the black outline on the stripes that doesn't continue through to the numbers. Either outline in black or don't outline in black, but not both.

My sentiments, exactly!

• 1 month later...

Well, there seems to be renewed interest in this thread, so I might as well take the opportunity to put in my two cents...

THE COWBOYS NEED TO WEAR THE BLUES MORE OFTEN, AND THE :censored:ING UGLY WHITE MUCH LESS!!!!

Of course, the white set is also in dire need of a redesign.

I don't mind the two sleeve stripes that much. The numbers, however, need outlines, because the sleeve stripes have them. I think an offset number outline (like on the navy jersey numbers) might work here, even if the outline on the sleeve stripes isn't offset (or maybe that would look a little odd; I don't know). They also need the wordmark on the chest, just like on the navy jersey. The weird thing is, they had the wordmark on the white one at one point. Why on earth did they remove it?

The other main problem with the white uniform set is the colors, and their inconsistency with the other uniform's hues. Just take anything royal in that uni and make it navy. Oh yeah, and get rid of the hideous green-silver pants and use the silver-gray ones; those at least are the same color as the helmet (I believe).

I wonder if Jerry Jones would ever even consider a redesign. The ugliness of the whites says a lot about his taste (or lack thereof). What a punk.

Archived