Gold at home

cableguy

i'd seen a mention on another thread about high school ball putting in a uniform rule (whites vs darks) in the near future, guess that'll be true. a "lights vs darks" i'd have no problem with. hell, I'll make a list:

lights: strictly home uniforms

yellow

metallic gold/bronze/tan

pink (hey, it is light)

lavender

light green

light gray/silver

white, of course

cream/off white

switch: can alternate between being homes or roads if there's sufficient clash

red

orange

neon green

light blue

light teal

pastel black (again, I'm just throwin em out there)

darks: strictly road uniforms

dark/navy blue

royal blue

green

dark teal

maroon/other dark reds

purple

black

dark gray

dark gold

brown

burnt orange

heh, that's all I can think of right now

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I'll try and tie all the loose ends into one:

1. NBA. White at home (unless wearing an alt, and then the road team usually wears white, but not always) unless you're the Lakers, whose gold* jerseys were grandfathered in.

2. NCAA HOOPS. "Anything" goes... for now. There were enough complaints over the past years that a contrast standard is probably going to be put in place, so we don't have to suffer through Wisconsin in red v. Illinois in orange. Certain teams may be grandfathered in (Michigan in maize; Illinois in orange; Iowa in gold).

3. NCAA FOOTBALL. The lighter jersey is white, no exceptions. Yes, UCLA/USC got special dispensation in 1981 to each wear their dark jerseys. Fine. That was 24 years ago, and the rule is on the books.

* gold v. yellow: I'll trot this out again, for the unitiated. "Athletic gold" is, in fact, yellow. Like French's mustard. But since "yellow" is an old slang term synonymous with "cowardly", no team that wore that color wanted to be associated with such an unathletic, un manly trait as cowardice. Thus the birth of athletic gold. We all know it's yellow, but for the sake of convention, it's (athletic) gold. The "shiny gold" is metallic, Vegas, Millenium, or old gold.

Could be worse; for those who research family heraldry, the color schemes, geometric designs and element location within the crest are based on old French terms. So my family's black and white colors are actually sable and argent tinctures. :hockeysmiley:

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

In college you can where pretty much whatever you want. I guess it's supposed to be dark versus light, but I remember one time last year where the Cincinnati Bearcats were wearing red and their opponents were in blue. I can't remember who they were playing and whether or not the game was in the 'Nati or elsewhere.

The bearcats red alt is a home alt

So you're saying the NBA now has regulations against any team (except the Lakers) wearing gold at home? That stinks...I remember when the Cavaliers first came into exsistance they wore gold at home. the warriors classic cablecar uniforms were also gold at home as were the Pacers for a while, and the sonics durring the Lenny Wilkens era. I think all of these uniforms were really classy and a nice difference from the classic white home uniform. I dont think its fair to make teams wear white when the gold serves the same distinguishing function.

So you're saying the NBA now has regulations against any team (except the Lakers) wearing gold at home? That stinks...I remember when the Cavaliers first came into exsistance they wore gold at home. the warriors classic cablecar uniforms were also gold at home as were the Pacers for a while, and the sonics durring the Lenny Wilkens era. I think all of these uniforms were really classy and a nice difference from the classic white home uniform. I dont think its fair to make teams wear white when the gold serves the same distinguishing function.

You answered your own question: the NBA now has regulations. The Lakers were the only team grandfathered in. All the other teams you mentioned (Cavs, Warriors, Sonics) had non-white uniforms for their home games, and had they kept them, they likely would have been grandfathered in. They changed, the Lakers didn't. It is as simple as that; had they stuck to what they had, it would be a non-issue.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Do you think the NFL would ever allow gold at home as an alternate? I could see it working as an alternate for the Steelers or the Packers.

New Orleans Saints did once or maybe twice. The vikings, the team they played that game wore their dark purple jerseys.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Good call on the "athletic gold" that is really yellow. I work for East Carolina U and purple (the version they use is a very deep, indigo like purple--very nice) gold and white and the gold is a bright yellow. Would look much better with gold, ala Wake or Georgia Tech. As to the subject of this thread, ECU has pruple, gold and white uni sets for hoops and the gold set gets worn both home and away, although the last several years the gold has been worn at home less and less.

Edited to add, I go and make that last statement and here I see they wore gold vs. UNCW yesterday:

http://ecupirates.collegesports.com/sports...aaa.html?pic=21

Archived