Theiran rips Penguins

NJTank

Michel Theiran ripped the Penguisn folloing todays game these are some of his quotes they played it on SProtscenter it was classic.

"It's a pathetic performance," Therrien said of a team that has allowed a league-high 166 goals. "Half of the team doesn't care. ... They're doing the best job to be the worst defensive squad in the league. They turn the puck over, they have no vision. The guys don't care. They pretend to care, but I know they don't care.

Therrien repeated a vulgarity several times to describe his defensemen, including $25 million free agent Sergei Gonchar, who has been a huge disappointment. Still, only two Penguins defensemen were minus for the night -- Ryan Whitney and Dick Tarnstrom were a minus-1 -- and the other four were even.

That didn't appease Therrien, who has a reputation for being tough and demanding but so far has been mostly upbeat about a mostly young Penguins team that is tied with the Capitals for the fewest points (31) in the Eastern Conference.

"We should take 50 percent of their salaries because they play only 50 percent of the time," Therrien said.

Even super rookie Sidney Crosby didn't look like he was into the game, getting only two shots, both in the first period. He had eight goals and nine assists during a 10-game scoring streak.

"Horcoff had three great chances and he converted all of them," said Crosby, who preferred to talk about the game's scoring star rather than his own play. "He got it right tonight."

At least to Therrien, the Penguins got it all wrong.

"What's the solution?" Therrien said. "I'm going to find the solution."

Story

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Can't say as I blame Therrien for saying what he did. I watched part of this game vs. the Oilers, and the Penguins were just lifeless until they scored a bit of a fluke goal to cut it to 2-1. They got some life back after that, but still not near enough to pull even. The only player who seemed to be on all night was Marc-Andre Fleury.

The whole building was dead, too; I think they only sounded the goal horn twice after the Pens' goal, and didn't play any music. It seemed eerily quiet for most of the game.

Still, I think that's unexceptable. Sure, the team needs to work on their defence, but ripping a team like that doesn't do too much good. Rather than saying all the things they did poorly, he should talk about the things they need to do to improve. When the coach sends bad vibes through the dressing room, it doesn't motivate them, it just tears them down.

I was actually at that game, 18 shots in the entire game, 7 in the first and maybe 4 in the 2nd. It was sad. The only reason the game was kept to 3-1 is because of Marc-Andre Flurey. If it wasnt for him the Pens could have gone into the first intermission 5-0 and i could have gotten better seats. Gonchar is a total liability if he isnt scoring goals. And Thibault is probably one of the worst pickups in the offseason. I hope the Pens turn it around because as much as I hate to say it I think the way they have been playing that not too many people would care in this city if they became the Kansas City, Winnipeg, or Houston Penguins.

Still, I think that's unexceptable. Sure, the team needs to work on their defence, but ripping a team like that doesn't do too much good. Rather than saying all the things they did poorly, he should talk about the things they need to do to improve. When the coach sends bad vibes through the dressing room, it doesn't motivate them, it just tears them down.

That's a nice way to think, but remember, disappointment can be a powerful motivator too.

Part of holding a team accountable means calling them out when they're not performing. As professional athletes, these men are being paid great sums of money to perform at the highest level.

Therrien had every right to do what he did. It's hard to get motivated and give it your all when you go into virtually every game as overwhelming underdogs, but as an athlete, it's part of your job.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Part of holding a team accountable means calling them out when they're not performing. As professional athletes, these men are being paid great sums of money to perform at the highest level.

Therrien had every right to do what he did. It's hard to get motivated and give it your all when you go into virtually every game as overwhelming underdogs, but as an athlete, it's part of your job.

But there's a huge difference between "calling them out" in a private closed door meeting, and doing so in the media. Now, I don't know if he had done so in private before, and it wasn't working, and therefore, Therrien felt that he needed to take the "next step" by going public with his concerns... If that is the case, than so be it, and maybe the embarasment caused by his statements should serve as motivation. If not, the Pens are in trouble.

Moose

This might be effective... it should be a good wake up call to his players. He didn't name any names, so the players will go out there and give it their all to prevent another embarrasing rant from their coach to the media.

Perhaps.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

Β 

"The Mothership" β€’ News β€’ Facebook β€’ X/Twitter β€’ Instagram

Marc-Andre Fleury actually hurt himself in warmups {i saw it.} It looked like he pulled something. But, he recovered and kept it from being a total loss {need i remind pens fans of past games}. Other players on that team need that spirirt. Of course, for once, everyone blamed Gonchar, and had good reason. He would get the puck and do nothing. The only loud people in the whole place were the college kids in the "student rush" section. If the pens keep doing this, instead of moving to another city, theyll just die here because no other city would want such a mediocre team. I beleive they can do it, many pens fans do. They just have to find out how. This season and next seasons might be the pens last ones in Pittsburgh. If theyre going to leave, they better leave in style. Did or will Therrien find the solution? We'll see tonight, 7:30 in columbia on FSN. If you dont live near Columbia or Pittsburgh, you probably cant see this game.

Pittsburgh Arsenal - Elite Football League (NFL) - est. 2006Β 

I was shocked when I heard this tirade! but I also kind of laughed. It completely backfired since they lost 6-1 to the Blue Jackets from COLUMBUS (Columbia...?).

But this team is in serious trouble. This season is a total loss, but before next season starts several things need to happen:

Lemieux needs to retire and just focus on the ownership side of his job and getting a definite arena deal done.

Craig Patrick needs to smarten up and sign good decent Defenseman or at least make some trades for some.

And no more signings of older over the hill players like Recchi and Leclair. Sure they chip in offensively sometimes but they're a combined minus-37 for god sakes!

The future for the franchise on the ice (be it in Pittsburgh or elsewhere) is very bright though. Crosby, Malone, Ouellet, Surovy, Whitney, Christensen, Fleury and Evgeni Malkin!!! THats an insane lineup. About three-five years from now the Penguins will be a serious scary playoff team.

SignatureNHL.png

"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"

Archived