History in logos

natallo

By 1798, however, the Society's activities had grown increasingly politicized and eventually Tammany, led by Aaron Burr emerged as the center for Jeffersonian Republican politics in the city. Aaron Burr built the Tammany society into a political machine for his election of 1800, in which he was elected Vice President. Without Tammany, historians believe, President John Adams might have won New York state's electoral votes and won reelection. . . .

You can call me Aaron Burr by the way I'm dropping Hamiltons!

By 1798, however, the Society's activities had grown increasingly politicized and eventually Tammany, led by Aaron Burr emerged as the center for Jeffersonian Republican politics in the city. Aaron Burr built the Tammany society into a political machine for his election of 1800, in which he was elected Vice President. Without Tammany, historians believe, President John Adams might have won New York state's electoral votes and won reelection. . . .

You can call me Aaron Burr by the way I'm dropping Hamiltons!

Double True, what's crackin'?

metslogo_215.gif

The Philadelphia Eagles were named after a symbol used in FDR's New Deal in 1933.

The Bills were named for Buffalo Bill Cody I believe.

Also, the obvious Washington Capitals and Nationals.

Then you could go the non-PC route with Indians, Chiefs and Redskins. Amazing the Redskin name sticks. I'm not coming out one way or the other on it, but it does amaze me.

Bring back the Whale!

Then you could go the non-PC route with Indians, Chiefs and Redskins. Amazing the Redskin name sticks. I'm not coming out one way or the other on it, but it does amaze me.

I actually did a presentation in high school sociology about the Indian nickname issue, complete with hand-drawn copies of the Braves, Indians and Redskins logos.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

I also believe the Brooklyn Dodgers took their name from the "Trolley Dodgers" in NYC at that time.

To expand on this (which is correct), Trolley Dodgers, was a name for hobos, and vagrants, which is why you sometimes hear the Dodgers referred to as "Bums"

Really? I thought it was when they would play baseball in the streets they would have to dodge the trolleys when catching the ball.

Also, the Pittsburgh pirates (im sure nobody mentioned them yet) were origianally called the Allegheny City Alleghenies, because their park {not far off from present day PNC Park and on the exact location of where old Three Rivers Stadium once stood} was across the Allegheny river from where downtown Pittsburgh is today {the point}. When Pittsburgh annexed it not too long later the name stayed for awhile, until the Phillies left one of their players on free agents or something like that accedentaly and Pittsburgh signed him. The Phillies were outraged and called the signing "an act of piracy". The Alleghenys liked the name, and it stayed.

oBIgzrL.png

If you're teaching up through the Civil War, give them something about the Civil War! :D

The Columbus Blue Jackets are so named because that was the place where a great deal of the Federal Army's uniforms were manufactured. A couple of their logos prominantly feature the Uniform of the Federal Army:

CBJ_43.gif

CBJ_4573.gif

While the second is no longer in use, you can clearly see that the Bug is wearing the uniform of a member of the Federal Army.

As an Ohioan and someone who had to take Ohio History as a 7th grader this connection between Blue Jackets and the Union Soldiers is troubling to me.

When I first heard they were going with the name Blue Jackets I was thinking, wow that is great they are honoring a famous Ohio Indian Chief named Blue Jacket. The irony of the PC thing is that Blue Jacket was actually a white child raised by Shawnee (I think) indians and he turned out to be a great Chief.

It really BUGGED me when I saw a bug and union references to something every Ohio bred and educated student would associate with Chief Blue Jacket someone we all had to read about in 7th grade.

I sent an angry email telling the team they missed the boat on this one. I mean I am no history buff but I don't recall hearing the Union army referred to as Blue Jackets like the British were the red coats, or am I wrong"?

fade.gif

I also believe the Brooklyn Dodgers took their name from the "Trolley Dodgers" in NYC at that time.

To expand on this (which is correct), Trolley Dodgers, was a name for hobos, and vagrants, which is why you sometimes hear the Dodgers referred to as "Bums"

Really? I thought it was when they would play baseball in the streets they would have to dodge the trolleys when catching the ball.

I'm reading the wonderful book "The Dodgers" of Glenn Stout (although I'm a Red Sox & SF Giants fan).

There one can read that in the 20th century's early years, Brooklyn was a tight, dense borough and the first ballparks used by the Dodgers (Washington Park and Ebbets Field) are encircled by very thin streets. So there went the trolleys that used to collect daily fatalities.

The fans that flocked in the ballparks must elude those trolleys. According of that, Stout concludes that it was the reason of the name Trolley Dodgers.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

If you're teaching up through the Civil War, give them something about the Civil War!  :D

The Columbus Blue Jackets are so named because that was the place where a great deal of the Federal Army's uniforms were manufactured. A couple of their logos prominantly feature the Uniform of the Federal Army:

CBJ_43.gif

CBJ_4573.gif

While the second is no longer in use, you can clearly see that the Bug is wearing the uniform of a member of the Federal Army.

I also read something about Ohio is where a majority of the Union Soldiers came from...Another reason for naming them the Blue Jackets.

Nevermind me, I should have read the initial post also. ^_^

]

You're closer to the truth than I am. I was wrong, apparently I got bad info, Trolley Dodgers did not refer to vagrants or hobos. They were named that supposedly because of the large network of trolleys in the ebbetts field area. The name "Bums" that I referred to, was actually because of their poor on field performance.

So, I stand corrected.

metslogo_215.gif

Tar Heels (NCAA) and Hornets (former NBA) are Revolutionary War "nicknames"/references here in the Carolinas.

Pirates (East Carolina- NCAA) for the real pirates on the coast.

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

The name "Bums" that I referred to, was actually because of their poor on field performance.

Yes, Stout told that Willard Mullin, famous sports cartoonist who worked in World-Telegram, once hailed a cab outside Ebbets Field.

The cabby looked him and asked:

"Well, what'd dem bums do today?"

"De bums" sticks in the Mullin mind. And history was made the following day...

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Archived