History in logos

natallo

I recently discovered this website and love it. I teach middle school history (American History through the Civil War) and the logos have provided an excellent teaching resource. The kids enjoy learning about American history a lot more if they can relate the topics to a sports team. I have discovered the obvious connections like the 49ers, Patriots, 76ers and Minutemen. If anyone out there could offer any more it would be appreciated. Thanks alot.

I believe the new Houston MLS team was going to be named after a year, but I cannot recall

wasn't it 1836 or something close to that?

yes, it was 1836, named for wheen thexas became independent from mexico. (Texas Revolution)

stars.jpg

dallasmavericks.gif

style1,JBPerry.png

<embed src="http://www.clocklink.com/clocks/5005-Blue.swf?TimeZone=CST&TimeFormat=hhmmssTT" width="180" height="60" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

joshuabperry@sbcglobal.net

My Webpage

If you're teaching up through the Civil War, give them something about the Civil War! :D

The Columbus Blue Jackets are so named because that was the place where a great deal of the Federal Army's uniforms were manufactured. A couple of their logos prominantly feature the Uniform of the Federal Army:

CBJ_43.gif

CBJ_4573.gif

While the second is no longer in use, you can clearly see that the Bug is wearing the uniform of a member of the Federal Army.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

From the old time story dept...(I have no idea if these are accurate or not)

Weren't the Astros named in honor of NASA/Astronauts and the Johnson Space center being in Houston? The origin of The Texas Rangers is pretty clear. The Dodgers supposedly came from some Brooklyn variation of The Artful Dodger which is in a Dickens novel I believe. The Reds supposedly changed their name to Red Legs during the McCarthy hearings in the 50's so they wouldn't be associated with communism. I won't swear by any of these it's just stuff I have heard over the years. Could be a good research project to give the kids.

BB52Big.jpg

Wasn't the Atlanta Braves (originally Boston Braves) and Washington Redskins (originally Boston Braves) named after the Tamaney Braves(sp?) of the Boston Tea Party. I'm not good at American history, being Canadian and all.

Also the Chicago Blackhawks took their name from Chief Black Hawk who fought with the British and Indian Confederacy in the War of 1812.

Friar%20Canuck.jpgfriarcanuck.png

Tammany Hall had nothing to do with the Boston Tea Party (dad's a history teacher, and I live in Boston).

The Boston Braves were named by owner John Montgomery Ward after a Boston branch of Tammany Hall, but Tammany Hall was founded in the 1780s in Manhattan. The Boston Tea Party was in 1773.

Being a canadian, you're forgiven.

I also believe the Brooklyn Dodgers took their name from the "Trolley Dodgers" in NYC at that time.

Some other sports logos/nicknames with historical backgrounds (list obviously isn't complete). My dad does something similar to this in his junior high history classes. Minor league sports teams are a GREAT source of nicknames/logos based in history as many teams honor their past with nicknames.

New York Yankees

San Diego Padres

Texas Rangers

New England Patriots

University of Massachusetts Minutemen

University of Mississippi Rebels - you could do a whole week on the use of the Dixe Flag in America in Post Civil War days

Florida State Seminoles

Tennesee Volunteers

George Mason Patriots

Old Dominion Monarchs

William & Mary Tribe (used to be called the Indians)

Penn Quakers

Indiana Hoosiers

Oklahoma Sooners

Kansas Jayhawks

Austin Peay Governors

I'm sure I can think of more, but these were just off of the top of my head.

Also the Chicago Blackhawks took their name from Chief Black Hawk who fought with the British and Indian Confederacy in the War of 1812.

Common misconception-the Blackhawks were actually named after the founder's infantry division.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Tammany Hall had nothing to do with the Boston Tea Party (dad's a history teacher, and I live in Boston).

The Boston Braves were named by owner John Montgomery Ward after a Boston branch of Tammany Hall, but Tammany Hall was founded in the 1780s in Manhattan. The Boston Tea Party was in 1773.

Being a canadian, you're forgiven.

I also believe the Brooklyn Dodgers took their name from the "Trolley Dodgers" in NYC at that time.

Some other sports logos/nicknames with historical backgrounds (list obviously isn't complete). My dad does something similar to this in his junior high history classes. Minor league sports teams are a GREAT source of nicknames/logos based in history as many teams honor their past with nicknames.

New York Yankees

San Diego Padres

Texas Rangers

New England Patriots

University of Massachusetts Minutemen

University of Mississippi Rebels - you could do a whole week on the use of the Dixe Flag in America in Post Civil War days

Florida State Seminoles

Tennesee Volunteers

George Mason Patriots

Old Dominion Monarchs

William & Mary Tribe (used to be called the Indians)

Penn Quakers

Indiana Hoosiers

Oklahoma Sooners

Kansas Jayhawks

Austin Peay Governors

I'm sure I can think of more, but these were just off of the top of my head.

I may be wrong, but...

Didn't the participants of the Boston Tea Party dress as Native Americans?

Didn't Tammany Hall follow this practice? Why am I thinking of the name Tammany Braves?

I just don't understand all this Tammany Hall-Stonemason-All Seeing Eye stuff US Founding Fathers were into.

Most Canadian Founding Fathers were just drunks! :flagcanada:

Friar%20Canuck.jpgfriarcanuck.png

The Reds supposedly changed their name to Red Legs during the McCarthy hearings in the 50's so they wouldn't be associated with communism. I won't swear by any of these it's just stuff I have heard over the years. Could be a good research project to give the kids.

That story is true. I remember seeing old film of the sports segment from a 1950's newscast, and I remember the anchor referring to the Cincinnati Red Stockings. At least, I think that it was Red Stockings. It may have been Red Legs, but I'm pretty sure that it was Red Stockings.

The Reds supposedly changed their name to Red Legs during the McCarthy hearings in the 50's so they wouldn't be associated with communism. I won't swear by any of these it's just stuff I have heard over the years. Could be a good research project to give the kids.

That story is true. I remember seeing old film of the sports segment from a 1950's newscast, and I remember the anchor referring to the Cincinnati Red Stockings. At least, I think that it was Red Stockings. It may have been Red Legs, but I'm pretty sure that it was Red Stockings.

I believe the first few Cincinnati Reds teams went by the Red Stockings (back in the day when they created the first pro team), only to switch to the Reds a few years later, and then to switch to the Redlegs in the 50's. I'm guessing they were glad to shake the nickname, because right after they dropped it, they fired their GM, and the following year, they won their first pennant (1961) since 1940.

If you're teaching up through the Civil War, give them something about the Civil War! :D

The Columbus Blue Jackets are so named because that was the place where a great deal of the Federal Army's uniforms were manufactured. A couple of their logos prominantly feature the Uniform of the Federal Army:

CBJ_43.gif

CBJ_4573.gif

While the second is no longer in use, you can clearly see that the Bug is wearing the uniform of a member of the Federal Army.

I also read something about Ohio is where a majority of the Union Soldiers came from...Another reason for naming them the Blue Jackets.

The Wisconsin Badgers (and the state's nickname of the Badger State) came from the lead miners in territorial days in the early 1800s. They would move there and, because they wanted to work right away and couldn't wait for houses, dig holes in hillsides and live there like badgers.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

Re: Tammany Hall

Tammany Hall was the New York City democratic political machine, but it did

start out as a social club with an interest in American Indian culture. However,

the social club was formed in New York City in the 1780s, so Tammany Hall

had nothing to do with the Boston Tea Party of December 1773, although

the Tea Party participants did dress up as American Indians.

From Wikipedia:

Tammany Hall was the name given to the Democratic Party political machine that dominated New York City politics from the mayoral victory of Fernando Wood in 1854 through the election of Fiorello LaGuardia in 1934. The eighty-year period between those two elections marks the time in which Tammany was the city's driving political force, but its origins actually date to the late 18th century and its fall from power was not truly complete until the early 1960s.

The Tammany Society of New York City was founded in the 1780s as a social club; one goal was to improve the image of Native Americans. The name "Tammany" is that of a Native American leader of the Lenape and the society adopted many Native American words and customs, going so far as to call its hall a wigwam. By 1798, however, the Society's activities had grown increasingly politicized and eventually Tammany, led by Aaron Burr emerged as the center for Jeffersonian Republican politics in the city. Aaron Burr built the Tammany society into a political machine for his election of 1800, in which he was elected Vice President. Without Tammany, historians believe, President John Adams might have won New York state's electoral votes and won reelection. . . .

To expand on this (which is correct), Trolley Dodgers, was a name for hobos, and vagrants, which is why you sometimes hear the Dodgers referred to as "Bums"

metslogo_215.gif

Archived