Minor League Baseball Logo I Designed

ebod39

don't know why I haven't posted this before it's been sitting on my desk for 10 years.

This is a logo I did while working at New Era Cap, for the River City Rampage (aka Huntington , WV.) Class A team. This is a scan of the embroidery stitchout, the Rhino is silver lurex thread, that's why the glare and odd coloring because of the scan. Remember this was 1995, the dawn of the

purple and teal with black age, so we jumped on the bandwagon. I think it still holds up pretty good for a minor league logo, I'd probably tweak a few things but overall I am still very happy with it.

I don't think the team exists anymore, they may have folded after a couple years, but I did get

some programs and other material from them when they started, plus the hats of course.

enjoy and comments welcomed and encouraged.

rampage.jpg

I think it looks great, especially for 1985. My question to you is, much like the Miami Dolphins helmet, why does the animal in the logo wear different headgear than the team it represents? Was the previous logo just an R on a black hat? Just curious.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

It looks like his little horn is poking right through his right eye socket.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

He has the body of the Michelin Man:

Michelin%20Man.jpg

Sorry, Ebod, just bustin' your stones. Its ideal for a minor league logo and you must be very talented to have worked for a company like New Era. Good job.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

rampage.jpg

Well, I have to say that I don't like the purple and teal, but put in context they make sense. I love the tone of the silver thread, though.

I like the fact that the rhino isn't wearing the an "infinity cap."

On the whole, a very sharp logo. I like the composition and balance, there's a nice blend between gravity and whimsy.

Well done. You're right - it holds up well. Replace the 1990s color scheme, and it would serve a team well today.

rampage.jpg

Nice. With more sensible colors, and some unnecessarily disruptive puffy stitching, this would stand up nicely today.

I'm sure all the faults I could find with this logo result from the team's preferences, not the designer (purple, black, and teal for a rhino?). Still, my single biggest pet peeve is cartoon cap logos that are themselves wearing a different cap from the cap they're on. The R cap the rhino is wearing looks like an awesome hat. Too bad the rhino is the only one who gets to wear it! If I lived in Huntington, WVA, I would hold off on buying this cap because I would rather have the much more attractive R cap the rhino is wearing.

Designers, I beseech you: If the client wants your cartoon rhino cap logo to have a hat on its head, put a cartoon rhino on the rhino's cap. If the client wants the cartoon rhino to wear a beautiful R cap, then ask the client why only the cartoon rhino, and not the actual players and fans, deserves to wear the good hat.

20082614447.png

Just checking...in my database, I have a "River City Rumblers" of the Appalachian League in 1995...is this the same team? Do I have the nickname wrong?

yep that's them. I always called them the Rampage because that's what it first was, it may have switched to Rumblers just before the season.

well we are split on the the "should a mascot wear himself on his hat" infinity theory.

I personally made it the "R" because I knew it would be impossible to duplicate the logo small enough to fit on his own cap in embroidery. plus it just harkens back to the classic simpler letter logos of traditional baseball. If technology allowed me to duplicate the logo on his hat in perfect reproduction, I still wouldn't do it. I think it's unecesary and extraneous.

• LMU locked this topic

Archived