just my 3rd original logo

leggman01

From a color standpoint, I though the black outline really let the purple and gold pop really well, but like you said, that might not fly with the school. I really like your lates purple and gold sheme as well, To clarify, this is the one I was talking about:

goldenhawk4207kk.png

This has come a long way and is eons better than the original, but there are still a few points that I might pick on if this were my work, most importantly the large, flat fill area that is purple in the above image. I think something more needs to be done to show that this head is not flat, but very round, cylindrical at the base and dome-like on top. I don't know your intentions, but the bird does not look very aggressive. The new eye on the latest purple version looks a lot better than the original and the one here in this black version, but it does lack an aggressive attitude if that is what you were looking to achieve. I like it, but that's the message it's sending, just so you know. The wordmark is pretty static and distracting, but I don't know the capabilities of PSP, and I hate that W.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

tempest - thanks for the continued critique of this logo...i really respect your opinion and the critiques are part of what has made this as good as it is...you guys really know what you're doing - in fact, you turned a request into a bit of a "tutorial" and when i read that, it allowed me to really turn a corner on this design, so thanks

after reading your initial c&c, i really played with that area, but i didn't like the way it got "cluttered" when i started adding feathers and shading...i'm sure there is a more effective way to convey it than what i was doing, but i couldn't make it happen

psp (and my skills in psp) are pretty limited regarding a wordmark - i'm not entirely happy with the outline, and i'm working on something right now that i think might fix it...i'm not sure if it will fly, but i'm trying to improve that - i'm with you on that w, too...it seems so out of place with the other letters, but i really like the other letters in that font - if i had your skills, i'd just make a new w :)

jldesigns404eo.png

this is going to be one of my final tweaks, since it seems like a longshot that the school will use it, and i've spent a lot of time on something unlikely to be used...it was not time wasted, though, as i feel i am much better now than i was before this and i'm ready to tackle some other logos, especially for the teams in my fantasy league :)

changed the colors to match my alma mater since they made the dance again tonight...the uncw seahawks

uncw203nm.png

come to think of it, this would be a tremendous uprgrade for uncw, too - their logo is quite possibly one of the worst in div 1 - there is a "hidden" w (well, it's really been there from the start, but i could sell it that way :)) and the teal "feathers" on the horizontal plane could represent waves

jldesigns404eo.png

ok - so this has morphed into a re-design of the uncw logo - i sent a pm to zoneranger re: a possible new contest "Redesigning March Madness"...you have to redesign the primary logo, wordmark and basketball jersey for a chosen team in the field of 65...not sure if it will run, but if it does get approved, here is my entry :) - what do you guys think of the wordmarks? the "wave" going through them is being used on all of their collateral marketing pieces (website, recruiting publications, etc.) and makes a nice tie-in between academics and athletics, i think - give me some feedback, because wordmarks are NOT something i feel i do well, at all

uncwwdmk18zv.png

uncw9yq.png

jldesigns404eo.png

goldenhawk206tq.png

I really like what this logo is becoming at this stage in development. The secondary purple is done to excellent effect and the lines are much cleaner. Also, using a photo program to "get it right" can be a great compromise if you are stuck...

I'm thinking the missing element is a touch of white - maybe on the beak. It would introduce another color into the logo, but in the end I'm betting it will reduce the picture size in terms of storage space due to the (default) white - but I might be wrong here, since I do most of my doctoring in MS Paint for the level of complexity I use.

Just my 2 cents....

spacer.png  5-time Defending NL East Champions spacer.png 

Archived