Kirby Puckett in Hall Of Fame

buildingmaint

Looking at his numbers it doesn't seem like he had" hall of fame numbers". Others with similar numbers are Don Mattingly, Cecil Cooper, Tony Oliva, Minnie Minoso, Cesar Cedeno, Carl Furillo, Kiki Cuyler,none as far as I know are in the Hall. Kirby Puckett was a nice guy , a good player ,but not great. No one can argue Mattingly was as good as any from 84 -89.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't agree when he was inducted, however, if he had played a full career he would've certainly had the numbers to be in there, without question.

I think they took into account his world series titles, his mvp season, his batting average, his popularity, and "could have" stats into consideration.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Tony Oliva's career was also cut short and missed the hall, but Tony wasnt "The Team" But Kirby was. Kirby was also... apparently one of the most loved in baseball.

I say apparently becuase I have never seen a reaction like this to a death in Major League Sports

256dy87.jpg

If you consider the brevity of his career though, its easy to see the guy had HOF numbers. I mean c'mon. Is 3,000 hits is necessity? No. It takes even the greats a long, sustained career to put up 3K hits - Puckett had all of 12 years. Had he maintained himself and played another 7-8 at the same level, he'd have had 3,000 hits.

By some of the logic in this thread, Sandy Koufax shouldn't have made it either.

nav-logo.png

If If If,what is an if stat. How many if hits equal HOF numbers? Andre Dawson has better stats and did something that no one today would do . He signed a blank check, hit 49 home runs and won an MVP for a last place team .

Kirby played for the TWINS! A very poor team, how much do u think he got payed. And the Twins who Mr. Selig wanted out started there slide in '92. Kirby stayed with the boys in Minnesota. Learn a lesson Chuck Knoblaugh :evil:

256dy87.jpg

Kirby Puckett was paid the following.1988 1 million . 89 2 million. 90 2.8 million. 91 3.1 million. 92 2.9 million. 93 5.3 million. 94 5.3milloin. 95 6.3 million. 96 6.2 million. 97 7.2 million. Those poor poor Twins . I think Kirby Puckett did pretty well for himself.

Kirby Puckett was paid the following.1988 1 million . 89 2 million. 90 2.8 million. 91 3.1 million. 92 2.9 million. 93 5.3 million. 94 5.3milloin. 95 6.3 million. 96 6.2 million. 97 7.2 million. Those poor poor Twins . I think Kirby Puckett did pretty well for himself.

Alright, now how bout you compare that to a Jeter's or Ramirez's or Bonds' contract.

256dy87.jpg

Their still playing. How can you compare salaries from different time frames . Let compare Kirby Puckett's salary to lets say Joe Jackson or Willie Mays or Robin Yount. It is a different game now.

Oh My God! Kirby played in the 80's - 90's! Willie Mays! Shoeless Joe! are you crazy! Bonds played then! But ok, Compare his to some greats of his time frame. Bonds, Griffy Jr., Ripken Jr., or Gwynn.

256dy87.jpg

Barry Bonds made the following. 1988 220,000. 89 600,000. 90 850,000. 91 2.3 million. 92 4.9 million. 93 4.5 million. 94 5.1 million. 95 8.1 million. 96 8.4 milloin. 97 8.4 million. In 96 Derek Jeter made 130,000 in 97 he made 550,000. Manny Ramirez made 109,000 in 93. 111,000 in 94 . 150,000 in 95 . 1.1 million in 95 . 2.1 million in 96.

Barry Bonds made the following. 1988 220,000. 89 600,000. 90 850,000. 91 2.3 million. 92 4.9 million. 93 4.5 million. 94 5.1 million. 95 8.1 million. 96 8.4 milloin. 97 8.4 million. In 96 Derek Jeter made 130,000 in 97 he made 550,000. Manny Ramirez made 109,000 in 93. 111,000 in 94 . 150,000 in 95 . 1.1 million in 95 . 2.1 million in 96.

The difference there is with those guys u started at the beginning of there career, with Kirby, you started 4 years in, Notice how Bonds' suddenly jumped higher, then you stopped, Jeter's was about to do that as well...

256dy87.jpg

People forget that the 1994 strike was not only bad luck for the Expos, but for Kirby as well. If I remember correclty, he was on a blistering pace for RBI's and Doubles that year, i think he was on pace to set the doubles record, i dont remember the RBI's though, i just know he was having a wonderful year.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

Looking at his numbers it doesn't seem like he had" hall of fame numbers".

Kirby Puckett was a "First Ballot" inductee.

They don't give those out to anyone but the most deserving in the toughest hall of fame of all to get into.

Case closed in my mind.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

You just made my argument. You can't compare salaries from different years.

Kirby was $2,749,750 away from the player with the 100th most career pay. Which would place him around 110th place, pretty far back for a quite modern hall of famer

256dy87.jpg

I think what really got Puckett in were the 2 championships coupled with the fact that he had no real period of decline. He played 12 seasons, all of them at a very high level. He had a lifetime .318 average, which is excellent, and over 2000 hits, averaging 192 hits per season. He ended his career with a .314 season and 99 RBI, pretty much on top of his game. That's what separates him from a guy like Mattingly who had a clear decline. It may not be fair but that's probably the reason.

kirby is in the hall because he was voted in. case closed. mattingly wasn't, therefore he isn't. case closed.

did it take kirby's death for you to realize that he's been in the hall for several years?

this is a retarded argument.

Archived