new hammons center...07-08

missouri state university will have a new hammons center in the 07-08 season, it will have 12,000 seat capacity and 20-25 luxury boxes and cost about $60 million. even though no rendering have been shown, here are 3 outside shots, multi-billionaire john Q hammons (missouri state alumn) gave $25 million towards the project.

#1 view is the southwest, #2 view isa side view and #3 view isnorth view and will be built next to the current hammons center.

SWVIEW.jpg

SIDEVIEW.jpg

NORTHVIEW.jpg

:grin:

sms.gif

great just what SOUTHWEST missouri state needs to make their heads even bigger. What makes them think they will ever sell out a 12,000 seat arena?

Cards08.jpg

World Champions: 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006

sorry i just dont like sms because i go to southeast missouri state, and i get the vibe that they think they are superior to us. its mostly a joke i just like to give them crap about the name change

Cards08.jpg

World Champions: 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006

People thought SMS was crazy for building the current arena, which holds nearly 8,000, for a Division II program. That move has worked out pretty nicely.

Anyone that has been to a Missouri State game in the last five years can tell you the arena is just too old. It has outlived its usefulness. A good number of the seats are wooden bleachers, which no doubt hurts attendance. A lot of people aren't willing to pay $8 to sit on wooden bleachers for a couple of hours - especially if they are older or have small children. The walkways and aisles are too narrow and the restroom facilities are inadequate.

A new arena/stadium always boosts attendance, at least for a little while. I think all the new suites, the wider concourses and walkways, athletic hall of fame, fancy video replay board, etc. will bring in some curious folks. It's up to the basketball programs to give them a reason to stick around.

As for the in-state jealousy... :P . BJ, do you think anyone at MO State would begrudge another school calling itself the Fourth District Normal School?

SEMO Fan, the rumor over here during one of the name change battles was that the reason SEMO was willing to stand down if the folks at MO State would try to help SEMO get into the Valley. Have you heard anything like that?

This whole thread is probably better suited for a different forum, but while we're out of place: Design expert: MSU arena should serve fans, intimidate opposing teams.

M-I-S-S-O-U-R-I STATE!

SpringfieldCardinalsWord.gif

sorry i just dont like sms because i go to southeast missouri state, and i get the vibe that they think they are superior to us.  its mostly a joke i just like to give them crap about the name change

Think y'all will hire Rod Barnes? I think SEMO would be perfect for him; though, let me preface by saying I'm very happy Ole Miss fired him.

Great building for a great program. And that's coming from a Mizzou grad. They'll have no problem filling it regularly. And I can vouch for the fact that Hammons I has outlived its utility. The day of the 70's era "multipurpose building" has come and gone. A big time basketball program needs its own space.

I still say things haven't been the same since Spoonhour left.

As for the "fans not wanting to sit on bleachers," the fans don't mind. It's the big-money donors who don't want to, and this building is more likely for them.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

Archived