Hoffman Estates (IL) UHL Team Unveils Name, Logo

HatCityEnforcer

This one just kinda popped up on the ol' wire....

UHL Press Release -- Meet The Chicago Hounds

The logo was also unveiled today...it's kinda "meh" if you ask me...personally, I think they could have done a bit better with this (especially with the wordmark)...

ChicagoHounds1.jpg

However, in the press release, there was one quote from the guy that runs the Sears Centre (the Hounds home ice in Hoffman Estates), Steve Hyman, that kinda made me go, whoa....

"The UHL is a quality league and Dr. Margenau runs an excellent ship.?

:blink:

Oh brother....

Um, newsflash, Steve....the Doc isn't called "Doc Marginal" by many around the U-Haul for a good reason.

As for the U being quality...well, it might be in some places (Fort Wayne, Muskegon, Kalamazoo, Danbury, Quad City)...but it sure ain't in others....thank the bald guy that runs it.

*end rant*

Have at the logo, kids :hockeysmiley:

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

ChicagoHounds1.jpg

Oh brother....

Um, newsflash, Steve....the Doc isn't called "Doc Marginal" by many around the U-Haul for a good reason.

As for the U being quality...well, it might be in some places (Fort Wayne, Muskegon, Kalamazoo, Danbury, Quad City)...but it sure ain't in others....thank the bald guy that runs it.

*end rant*

Way to bash the league that your team is in. Danbury Trashers couldnt last in any other league. Just be glad you even have a team. The way things have been with hockey the past few weeks here in cincy I would love to have UHL team now.

As for the logo I think its pretty nice.

Signature intentionally left blank

ChicagoHounds1.jpg

Oh brother....

*end rant*

Way to bash the league that your team is in. Danbury Trashers couldnt last in any other league. Just be glad you even have a team. The way things have been with hockey the past few weeks here in cincy I would love to have UHL team now.

As for the logo I think its pretty nice.

Dude, I'll rip the league when it does retarded things, and it's become a habit unfortunately as of late under Brosal....didn't think anyone could make Gary Bettman look like frickin Paul Tagliabue, but Brosal sure has accomplished that.

It's done quite a few when it comes to team placements...ever hear of the Canton Ice Patrol? Lehigh Valley Extreme? The disaster that was the Columbus Stars? This league has a notorious track history of allowing anyone in, regardless of if there's a rink or not...at times, it's like the ABA on Ice...I halfway expect to see the U introduce a frickin red white & blue puck in the near future.

Dr. Margenau (the clown that's in charge of the Hounds) pretty much ran the New Haven Knights into the ground, going as far as to stop payments on just about everything...it took a concerted effort by the Boosters there in NH to pay for things like sticks, gloves, per diem meal money, and (in the playoffs) hotel rooms for the team....and he's doing a darn good job of killing Richmond..so much so that the fans down there are GLAD to be going to the SPHL, which is a rung lower than the U or the CHL...

Don't believe the hype about this being an "expansion team", Chicago is basically going to be the Richmond RiverDogs relocated...much like Roanoke last year went from being an expansion team to the Port Huron Beacons relocated..and don't even get me started on Roanoke's wonderful owners :rolleyes: ...

Yes, I have some bitter feelings towards Margenau and that's because I watched the New Haven debacle happen, but ANY league with a clue would bar this guy from running a team ever again, but the league (and Commissioner Brosal) keeps on inviting this schmuck back....

The U could be sooooo much better than it is...but when you start to notice a lot of problems within that could be fixed without much effort, yet the front office doesn't want to do that? That's when a few choice comments need to be made....and believe me, I ain't alone among UHL fans.

FANTASY TEAMS

so the UHL is planning on basically transforming competitive hockey into "Nickelodeon on Ice" ... is that the plan ?

...I Don't Know... (slimed) :D

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

ChicagoHounds1.jpg

Dr. Margenau (the clown that's in charge of the Hounds) pretty much ran the New Haven Knights into the ground, going as far as to stop payments on just about everything...it took a concerted effort by the Boosters there in NH to pay for things like sticks, gloves, per diem meal money, and (in the playoffs) hotel rooms for the team....

Didnt an old run down arena have a part in the folding of the Knights? Seems to me one of the main reasons why New Haven doesnt have any teams now (like the Knights and the old AF2 team the Ninjas)

To me it seems like the Chicago Hounds are getting more done than the Bloomington Prarie Thunder(still hate that name). Bloomington may already have an arena built but they dont have a logo or a website for that matter yet. They are building the Sears Centre for the Hounds right now but the organization seems to be better run than the P Thunder.

Yes Im aware of the Arctic Xpress/Canton Xpress/Canton Ice Patrol fiasco, but technically that team eventually replaced the Border Cats becoming the Port Huron Beacons and then moving to Roanoke. Canton is big enough to support the football Hall of Fame but I dont think it could support minor sports. The Arctic Xpress were supposed to play in nearby Massilon, Ohio which no one outside of Northern Ohio has probably ever heard of. Lehigh Valley was just another bad idea. Columbus Im not quite sure what happend there.

It seems to me like many teams(Fort Wayne, Muskegon, Kalamazoo, Missouri, even Adirondack.) are run farely well. Richmond I could tell would be doomed from the start. Ever since the Renegades left the ECHL, hockey in Richmond has gone downhill. Quite honestly Im surprised the SPHL has survived.

Rant done

I believe Steve Hyman used to run The Mark of the Quad Cities, home of the UHL's Quad-City Mallards.... thought he was a Q-C lifer. Interesting that he's in Hoffman Estates now.

As far as the logo, it basically -- to me at least --- looks like a bunch of other UHL logos that have come out in the past 10 years. (specifically, the original River Otters, the Mallards of a few years back and the Rockford IceHogs -- there's something computerized / NBA / 1990s about them to me)

I drove by the arena not that long ago -- looking good -- but Chicago it is not. As much as I support major league teams, like the Angels latching on to Los Angeles, I almost feel like minor league teams -- or at least minor-minor league teams, since the AHL Chicago Wolves seem legit -- should maybe focus a little closer to home.

I'd be surprised if anyone living in downtown Chicago ever casually decides to head out to watch their new UHL 'home' team, especially since the Wolves are a shorter drive out the same highway (I-90) in Rosemont. This team is for the suburbs and therefore should probably be named for/ marketed to them. I don't know... I'm a bit two-faced on this issue. Los Angeles Angels and Hoffman Estates Hounds make sense to me (or Northwest Chicago Hounds at least?) Do the suburbs even want their team to be called Chicago?

yep is was the arena that doomed New Haven, it was all old and now they ripped it down and they not building a new one. Great move so all your sports teams move away to Waterburry,Danburry,Bridgeport or Hartford. Soon Yale will move out too :D....What a sorry, sad city.

yep is was the arena that doomed New Haven, it was all old and now they ripped it down and they not building a new one. Great move so all your sports teams move away to Waterburry,Danburry,Bridgeport or Hartford. Soon Yale will move out too :D....What a sorry, sad city.

Wrong answer...

It was the arena going up in BRIDGEPORT that got the NH Coliseum closed (that and a close minded mayor)

Maybe if you LIVED in the area, you'd know ;)

FANTASY TEAMS

Didnt an old run down arena have a part in the folding of the Knights? Seems to me one of the main reasons why New Haven doesnt have any teams now (like the Knights and the old AF2 team the Ninjas)

It seems to me like many teams(Fort Wayne, Muskegon, Kalamazoo, Missouri, even Adirondack.) are run farely well. Richmond I could tell would be doomed from the start. Ever since the Renegades left the ECHL, hockey in Richmond has gone downhill. Quite honestly Im surprised the SPHL has survived.

Rant done

OK..time to pull this one apart...

First off, the NH Coliseum was not (as you said) "old & run down"...the State of Connecticut had sunk a serious amount of cash into it back in 1997 when they got the AHL Beast franchise....I went to quite a few games there and it seemed hardly run down...yeah, the ceiling was kinda scummy, but other than that, it wasn't any worse than say First Mariner Arena (Baltimore) or the pre-renovation Springfield Civic Center.

What killed the NHC was a combination of two things...a mayor and city council without a clue and the Arena @ Harbor Yard in Bridgeport.

There was a move by some private citizens to buy the NHC and the Knights and keep them going beyond the 00-01 season, but neither Margenau or the city would listen or even entertain it.

As for the 2nd part....

Richmond's case was that they suffered under some real winners in the ownership department...Margenau's track record has been proven, and the guy he replaced (Glenn Morelli) wasn't that much better (seeing he used the Dogs as a virtual ATM machine to keep his OTHER franchise, the Adirondack Frostbite, afloat last season)...

I'd hardly call Missouri "well run", seeing the UHL itself had to run the team for a time.

Adirondack was in dire straits until the Parfets (from K-Zoo) stepped in with a huge infusion of cash (mostly due to Morelli exiting stage right after last season)...then again, the team was under a serious cloud when it was the IceHawks and run by the Shavers (so much so that the city has slapped a $2 surcharge on every ticket to pay off the debt they ran up)...

FANTASY TEAMS

Adirondack was in dire straits until the Parfets (from K-Zoo) stepped in with a huge infusion of cash (mostly due to Morelli exiting stage right after last season)...then again, the team was under a serious cloud when it was the IceHawks and run by the Shavers (so much so that the city has slapped a $2 surcharge on every ticket to pay off the debt they ran up)...

I thought the Frostbite was run by Barry Melrose and another guy from ESPN

I thought the Frostbite was run by Barry Melrose and another guy from ESPN

The other ESPNer connected with the Bite is Steve Levy (I've seen more of Levy than Melrose to be honest...Barry just usually sits by the beer garden in Section U of the Glens Falls Civic Center...Levy at least will travel with the team to Elmira and Danbury :lol: )

They're more of the "faces" of the franchise if anything....they have a stake in it, but they needed others to help finance it, seeing I don't think an ESPN anchor's salary is going to be enough to help finance a minor league hockey team (no matter what level it's at)...

FANTASY TEAMS

Archived