Holy Cheechoo batman!

zer0dotcom

One word-

KIPPER!

Absolutely. No doubt about it.

Let's see, Calgary's offense is fourth worst in the whole NHL, ahead of only Columbus, Chicago, and St. Louis, i.e. the Western Conference cellar-dwellers.

By all rights, Calgary should be 12th in the conference, but instead, they sit third, winners of perhaps the toughest division in hockey.

He hasn't had more than a handful of games where his team gave him a night off, and yet he's got 42 wins, 10 shutouts, and a 2.07 GAA... all league bests.

...and this is coming from a Colorado fan (who, admittedly, has a soft spot in his heart for all Canadian teams... and to a lesser extent, Toronto).

Unfortunately, the Hart is permanently skewed towards goalies - of all the players on the ice, they are by nature the most influential, and as a result, the awards committees overcompensate.

Since 1963 (42 Hart Trophies awarded), a goalie has won the Hart only twice (both by Hasek). Considering that there are 6 players on the ice at a time, the Hart should conceiveably (if it's somewhat evenly distributed) be awarded to a goalie about 17% of the time, but as it is, that number's closer to 5%.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Since 1963 (42 Hart Trophies awarded), a goalie has won the Hart only twice (both by Hasek). Considering that there are 6 players on the ice at a time, the Hart should conceiveably (if it's somewhat evenly distributed) be awarded to a goalie about 17% of the time, but as it is, that number's closer to 5%.

Don't forget Theodore in 2002...my how the mighty have fallen...

I wouldn't mind seeing Kiprusoff win the Hart trophy, but it's going to be either Jagr or someone from Detroit (Yzerman, maybe?).

You also can put in Kiprusoff, Cheechoo, Thornton, Carolina's Eric Staal and, my oddball pick, Washington's Alexander Ovechkin (Kid scored 100 points in a season despite playing on a stinker of a Caps team) in the hunt for the Hart.

Well in years Goalies won the Hart there have not been this strong of competition whith Jagr and the two Sharks.

i agree, usually I don't like having Goalies being nominated for the Hart...Golies have a trophy, Defencemen have a trophy, forwards really gon't have anything just for them (other than the Selke)

Kipper has had a great year, no doubt, but I think that there are other players who have had a more significant impact for their teams

Before Joe Thornton came along, Jonathan Cheechoo had 7 goals in 24 games. After that, he has had 49 goals in 57 games, the best frequency since Teemu Selanne and Alexander Mogilny's 76 goal campaigns in 1992-93.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

When one guy gets all his goals on assists from one teammate... and one guy gets all his assists passing to one guy... how do you decide who's more valuable?

That's why Jagr will win the Hart trophy this year.

He's far and away the best player on his team and has almost single-handedly turned (from a business standpoint) the most important team in the NHL from a bottom feeder into a possible (and I really hope) division winner.

And, at the risk of coming off like a homer, watch out for Henrik Lundqvist in the Vezina voting. While Kipprusoff is probably more deserving of the award, Lundqvist will definitely steal a few votes. He's put up an extremely impressive performance for a rookie netminder in an extremely unforgiving city.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

I really hate to say it, but Jagr will and should win the Hart. the Rangers have been absolutely terrible for 8 years, and they weren't expected to be much better this year. Jagr is the symbol for the turnaround. Couple that with the fact that he's been, for much of his career, one of the 2 or 3 best players in the world, he'll get the votes. A lot of writers are thinking that it's about time Thornton had the breakout year, and if he repeats it next year, he'll have a much better shot at the trophy. Meanwhile, there's still writers out there who have no idea who Cheechoo is. Plus, East Coast bias is for real, especially when talking about New York.

Archived