Baseball team locations idea

FiddySicks

Anaheim is about as seperate from LA as Brooklyn is from New York.

:blink: BUY A MAP!!!!

No, that's about right. Anything that's less than a half hour away by freeway in this area is pretty much LA.

The Greater Los Angeles Area is the agglomeration of urbanized area around the city of Los Angeles, California. It is sprawled over five counties in the southern part of California, namely: Los Angeles, Orange, San Bernardino, Riverside and Ventura. It is referred to locally as "Southern California", "SoCal" or "The Southland". It is also referred to simply as L.A. especially by the residents of Los Angeles County and by outsiders.

VmWIn6B.png

Anaheim is a suburb of LA.  It's part of the LA metroplex.  They don't like it, and try to pretend otherwise, but one can only deny reality so long.

But the reality of it is that your incredibly wrong. Anaheim is not a "Suburb" of Los Angeles. Anaheim, unlike the 5 boroughs, it is its own city, with its own ordinances and laws, its own government, and its own mayor. It has about as much real association to Los Angeles as Beverly Hills has to inter city Bagdad. And unlike places like Orchard Park, New York, and Irving, Texas, it is a very large metropolitan city thast does in fact have the ability to support TWO major league sports franchises on its own with little or no help from little or no association help from the near by cities. And for you to say that Anaheim should stop denying reality, but Green Bay Shouldnt is probably one of the most rediculous things ive ever heard.

Anaheim is a suburb to LA, part of the metropolitan area of Los Angeles. It is economically and socially dependant upon the large urban core that is the City of Los Angeles, which in the post-war period has sprawled out into the surrounding area. Those surrounding areas have become incorporated as seperate municipalities, such as Anaheim, Ontario, Fontana, etc. Each has its own distinct flavour and aspects to it, but in the end it is a part of the greater Los Angeles area. Is Anaheim able to support both the Ducks (who suck, go Flames!) and the Angels on their own? I doubt it. The media market extends far beyond Anaheim and its 328,000 people (figure according to Wikipedia, don't know how accurate it is). No, it includes a great deal of pull from other cities in the area, all of which are all dependant upon LA.

I've said it 1,000 times but I'll say it again... if a team plays in a city, it can take that name. If it doesn't like the city's name that it plays in, it should either take the name of the county, region, or state but not a different city.

Anaheim is NOT Los Angeles, ask anyone who lives in the city of Anaheim.

Okay then, in addition to the ones we already have (New England Patriots, Minnesota Twins, etc) we'd have the:

New Jersey Giants or East Rutherford Giants

New Jersey Jets or East Rutherford Jets

Uniondale Islanders

Auburn Hills Pistons or Michigan Pistons

and so on.

I've said it 1,000 times but I'll say it again... if a team plays in a city, it can take that name. If it doesn't like the city's name that it plays in, it should either take the name of the county, region, or state but not a different city.

Okay then, in addition to the ones we already have (New England Patriots, Minnesota Twins, etc) we'd have the:

New Jersey Giants or East Rutherford Giants

New Jersey Jets or East Rutherford Jets

Uniondale Islanders

Auburn Hills Pistons or Michigan Pistons

and so on.

*wishes Chris had the "beating the dead horse" smiley*

edit: deadhorse.gif

Having said that, who's to say that the New York in the New York Islanders isn't referring to the state?

To bring the topic back to Oakland, I've read that one plan may for the Athletics to build a stadium in Fremont and call themselves the San Jose Athletics of Fremont.

But before that actually happens, the Athletics go to the Giants and say,"Do you want us to say we represent San Jose and you get no compensation or will you let us move to San Jose and you will get compensation?"

So what the Athletics really want to do is move to San Jose and get the Giants to go along with it. Officially, San Jose is in Giants territory.

Region=Los Angeles metropolitan area

I guess by region I mean Southern California or Pacific Northwest or New England, not another city. Is a city a region? I don't know, asking...

Angels should be the Los Angeles Angels--they were when formed in 1961, so I see no issue with that name at all.

I totally agree.

Los Angeles is the City of Angels. And the old minor league team was called the Los Angeles Angels.

The team never should have changed its name to the California Angels in the first place. The name Angels just fits with Los Angeles.

Archived