St. paul bulls

-kj

Ok, I took a little time today to rough out an idea that's been in my head for a few weeks.  My IHL team, the Bulls of St. Paul, needs some logos.  I haven't come up with a good idea for the primary logo, but I got an idea for a secondary.  It needs some touching up, obviously, but do y'all think there's any hope in this thing?

spbulls2nd.gif

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Reminds me of a set of cap designs that came out a while back where they used the initials of an NFL team, the team colors, and some sort of design element to identify the team. I even think they did NBA caps but not sure. The design has potential, might be a bit more complicated looking than it needs to be. If I have any spare time I'll lend a hand (no promises). It's hard to find some free time with a newborn but I like personal projects.

I'll take those as "that steam thing, work on that."  (Yes, it's supposed to be steam/smoke/what have you.  That's supposed to be a snout/nose/whatever.)

POTD 2013-08-22

Maybe eliminate the snout/steam and the tail, leaving the horns. That'll get the point accross just as well, maybe even better because you'll have eliminated a few elements, putting more emphasis on the best executed and most distinguishing one.

Maybe eliminate the snout/steam and the tail, leaving the horns. That'll get the point accross just as well, maybe even better because you'll have eliminated a few elements, putting more emphasis on the best executed and most distinguishing one.

I agree with the idea of simplifying it. The horns tell the story, but I think you'd be ok leaving the tail on if you liked it.

I can see where you are going with the snorting/steam, but it's not there yet. If you decide to stick with it, you really, and I mean really, have to make it a nose with TWO nostrils because ONE orifice, well...it makes it look like it's taking a poo.

Also, the steam, even if done right will still make it more 'cartoony' overall, while the same logo without is more graphic and less juvenile.

Overall, it's really cool though. Definite thumbs up.

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

remove the snout and the smoke and you're on your way. The letters themselves need some cleaning up. The outlines of the letters look MS Paintish. For example, the hole in the P's black outline isn't straight, but goes down a little. Also, the place where the S and P intersect at the edge of the stem of the P near the tail of the S looks wierd. The break in the P's outline is fine, but the tail needs to either curve at that point more or less so you don't wind up ith a straight line at that intersection. Does that make any sense? fixed up, this could be a cool shoulder logo. The horns are cool.

For basic ideas for a bull logo, look around at teams like Chicago Bulls, U of Omaha Mavericks, U of Buffalo Bulls, and others. A staight forward view, no matter how different, would garnush some Chicago Bulls references, so I'd go with a profile or 3/4 view.

Oh, and in hopes of a red jersey, I'd make the bull black.

Wow, that's pretty interesting.  Nice job.  I'm not so sure about the fade either, but I'm sure there's a way to work around that that would still look good.  The only other suggestion I would have would be to turn the horns sightly at the ends, more like a real bull.

Now, of course, my original design is looking... er... inadequate...

POTD 2013-08-22

I usually don't like fades either but I didn't want the "S" and "P" to totally separate but it might look good without it. The one thing I wanted to add was the "T" so that it was reminiscent of the St. Louis Cardinal's initials. Thought that might help make it fit St. Paul better. Mockba, if you'd like the Illustator file to play with I can email it to ya? What version do you have?

Archived