NFL On Field Changes for 2006

katz22b

the rams did wear white pants, it was during the first or second pre-season of the new uniforms...its there ive seen it

they did, but they look nothing like the ones currently in mothballs. instead of a blue/gold/blue stripe, they had an obscenely short gold stripe (as the Rams still had gold sidestripes on the jerseys at the time). can't blame em for dumping em as fast as they did, in a show of good taste, reportedly Martz hated those pants.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar.../605130364/1027

scroll down...

Luv Ya' Blue?: The Titans have entertained the idea of incorporating light blue pants into their uniform for some games, but that plan is currently on hold.

Since 1999, the Titans have either worn navy pants or white pants. A few years ago the team added a third color ? Columbia blue ? to go with their navy blue and white jerseys. Equipment manager Paul Noska had a pair of light blue pants made to "look at last year" but Reese said it hasn't gone any further.

"Unless the boss wants to do it,'' Reese said. "If the boss wants to do it we will, but right now there is no change.''

not sure what they're talking about, when they say "a few years ago, the team added a third color."

but hey. the said it's up to bud. and bud loves columbia blue more than he hates the houston texans.

The way the author words the "added a third color" sentence is odd. The writer should have just said "A few years ago, the Titans added a third jersey - Columbia blue - to go with the navy and white jerseys." Third jersey, not third color...that's what he's talking about, Cole.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The way the author words the "added a third color" sentence is odd. The writer should have just said "A few years ago, the Titans added a third jersey - Columbia blue - to go with the navy and white jerseys." Third jersey, not third color...that's what he's talking about, Cole.

ahhh. that never even crossed my mind.

i was like... the titans/oilers have ALWAYS had that color. years before they ever had navy...

now i got it. i'm dumb.

The way the author words the "added a third color" sentence is odd.  The writer should have just said "A few years ago, the Titans added a third jersey - Columbia blue - to go with the navy and white jerseys."   Third jersey, not third color...that's what he's talking about, Cole.

ahhh. that never even crossed my mind.

i was like... the titans/oilers have ALWAYS had that color. years before they ever had navy...

now i got it. i'm dumb.

Nah, you're not dumb, dude. It was just a poor sentence and poor choice of words by the author. I had to read it a couple times myself to figure it out, because, like you, I was thinking "They've always had the Columbia blue!" B)

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Now This is the Titans Jersey I liked ,

d1_1.JPG

Because I was different & it was before New England Changed their Uni's Again & before the Texans . But it's IMO a very sharp combo & not living on the meorie of the Oilers , but still having the Red which a long time color of the Oilers like Columbia Blue & Silver have been .

But I don't mine the idea of the Columbia being worn but it's still the Titans , I dislike them very much & I don't like the Texans . But I miss the Oilers I really liked the Houston Oilers but they are dead to me no Color & bring that back .

PS. Bud is the one that wanted to Change the Name of the team & he made sure the name "Oilers" was retired so no other NFL team could use it & he didn't want the chance Houston get Expansion Team & name the team Oilers . (bow)

#DTWD #GoJaguars

That's a fashion jersey. They never wore it. "Fashion jersey" is a misnomer to me, because wearing a yellow Packers jersey or an otherwise incorrect jersey doesn't seem very stylish at all.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

But I don't mine the idea of the Columbia being worn but it's still the Titans , I dislike them very much & I don't like the Texans . But I miss the Oilers I really liked the Houston Oilers but they are dead to me no Color & bring that back .

PS. Bud is the one that wanted to Change the Name of the team & he made sure the name "Oilers" was retired so no other NFL team could use it & he didn't want the chance Houston get Expansion Team & name the team Oilers .  (bow)

sorry... but you're either very very biased on the issue, or you're just flat out wrong.

i'll quote a book named "oiler blues" by john pirkle, (excuse the lack of capitalization, but i'm lazy and i'm typing it while reading)

.....In a mid-november 1997 vanderbilt university poll, an overwhelming majority of nashvillians reported that the did not care for [the oilers] nickname. only about half said they were glad the oilers came at all.

bud's response was another classic. "down here in memphis" he crowed, "they don't mind. they think oilers is a pretty good name." these remarks came several days after about 20,000 showed up to watch the oilers lose to jacksonville.

bud called his 1995 promise of a contest to find a new name a mistake. "i wasn't even thiking about that when i made that statement," he said. slowly, he softened. he told the nashville banner, "i want to see what the people have to say. i'm open minded about it. put yourself in my place. why you don't see teams change names is that they build up a coninuity and a tradition... but if this means something to the people of tennessee, i'll give it my full consideration."

in mid-november 1998, bud adams announced the new name of the team would the titans. he said "we wanted a new nickname to reflect strength, leadership, and other heroic qualities, and to be equal to, if not better than great nfl nicknames like vikings, giants, buccaneers and cowboys. a titan these days is someone who excels and stands out in his work. he or she is recognized for greatness or special achievement. that's what we want for our football team."

"titans comes from early greek mythology and the fact that nashville is known as the `athens of the south' makes the titans name very appropriate. if we continue to play like titans, we'll be in the playoffs this january."

"it was difficult to trim the list (of 39)," said adams. "titans was always a strong contender in my mind. pioneers and tornadoes were also popular."

that did it for the oilers. bud was reluctant to change names, and did so only upon the promise of paul tagliabue that name would be "retired" by the nfl. that meant no other team would be allowed to use the oiler nickname. adams said this would "allow the tennessee franchise to retain the team's winning tradition."

also, why he colors and name were chosen to begin with:

in october 1959, he announced that he had named his team the oilers, for "sentimental and social reasons." he had earlier sponsored a local basketball team known as the ada oilers. he later said he intended the name to honor his father.

in houston, the oilers settled on an old high school facility named jeppesen stadium, located near the university of houston campus. bud was so happy about the nfl not getting a foothold in houston that he agreed to finance the expansion of jeppesen to 36,000, including 300 to 500 "air-conditioned" seats. clearly he was counting on his yet-to-be signed first draft pick to fill some seats.

still, it was difficult to disguise jeppesen. called by some "an open sewer," the moldy old arena had one constant -- the smell of urine. prevailing wind direction determined the choicest seat. it was cramped and unnecessarily uncomfortable. adams tried to make it more cheery by painting it his favorite color, columbia blue. it did not help the smell."

to me, this all makes it sound like bud's titans are still bud's oilers, at heart. the only difference is the location of the stadium, and the logo on the helmets.

i welcome a return to columbia blue's dominance in the team identity. i love the titans. i love the oilers. they're one and the same :) now if only they busted out some good ole oilers throwbacks for a home date with the texans :)

Well First off I know thats a Fashion Jersey , anyone should know that because the Titans have not & don't use that much Red .

Well Anyways , I was going by more of a opinon then a facts about the oilers & Titans at the end there . They are the same franchise I know this very well , but I just started to seperate myself from the oilers after they moved to Memphis because we had gotten the Jags & they had started to build a rivaliry .

Then after they became Titans in 99 & beat the Jags 3 times & one of them in the AFC Championship . I kinda Hated them for the first time . so I seperate the Oilers & Titans , But when the got into the Superbowl I did go for them just to see that Columbia Blue on the field in the superbowl after so many years.

Now for the Columbia Blue , I like it & I think it should be in the Uniform & in it is

Billy Cannon & George Blanda the double-overtime game in 62 , Earl Campbell & Bum Phillips & Jerry Glanville Warren Moon The Screw job against the Steelers in 79 ,The Upset in Buffalo Jack Pardee Jeff Fisher & Steve McNair even & of course the 8th wonder of the world Astrodome. all of the Oilers History is down with in that Columbia Blue , even the Sliver & Red .... :D

But I agree with what you said all of it I have heard or most of it , Just I do know it was either the Tennessean or AP news or something it's been a while , but the had a nice size article about the fact of him saying He didn't want any other team to have a possible chance of using the name he wanted it retired & But it would be missed & unlike Browns-Ravens The Titans will still be able to trace back to their roots .

But I like the idea of the throwbacks ., in Houston .

#DTWD #GoJaguars

Archived