AC Phila 76

Krona

Yeah, these just scream ripoff. The keystone is a nice touch, but there's nothing significantly unique at all. They could use a liberty bell, or independence hall, or anything else Philly-like.

VmWIn6B.png

I like the overall design, but a change in the colors would be nice, if only to avoid the "rip-off" tag. Maybe use the colors on the city flag? Come to think of it, the crest inside the ring of stars actually wouldn't look too bad on its own.

us_pennsylvania_philadelphia-l.gif

FYI: the actual shade of blue the city uses is closer to sky blue than the royal blue shown in the picture of the flag above. I used the official Philadelphia flag colors in a Phillies concept last month, and it looked almost exactly like a UCLA concept.

As for these badges, I like the 2nd one. I'd also like to know what the inspiration for the colors were, since I don't typically associate red and black with anything Philadelphian. (AC Milan, yes; Philadelphia, no.) The stripes are fine, and the keystone works. I actually like it as is, without overloading it with Philadelphia iconic imagery. But please don't refer to the city as "PHILA". It looks horrible every time a team uses it on its uniforms.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

As for these badges, I like the 2nd one. I'd also like to know what the inspiration for the colors were, since I don't typically associate red and black with anything Philadelphian. (AC Milan, yes; Philadelphia, no.) The stripes are fine, and the keystone works. I actually like it as is, without overloading it with Philadelphia iconic imagery. But please don't refer to the city as "PHILA". It looks horrible every time a team uses it on its uniforms.

No significance with the colors. i thought thet look good on a crest, and with red bull abandoning the black and red, i picked it up here. I actually started with a blue and gold set, but just didnt feel it. i should go back now that i have the image set. i also agree about overloading with imagery. Not necessary.

maybe its my fault for using this style of ball in my concepts, but im tired of having this argument every time. if you know little about soccer, dont comment on it. why would i intentionally put a volleyball in a soccer concept? schools in session, lame-o's:

http://www.hqfl.dk/

pay attention to the italian and spanish leagues and you'll see a ton of "volleyballs"

maybe its my fault for using this style of ball in my concepts, but im tired of having this argument every time. if you know little about soccer, dont comment on it. why would i intentionally put a volleyball in a soccer concept? schools in session, lame-o's:

http://www.hqfl.dk/

pay attention to the italian and spanish leagues and you'll see a ton of "volleyballs"

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you personally. I just get tired of a lot of hot-shot kids on here throwing together concepts and having something so fundamentally, glaringly wrong, and I didn't take the time to realize that you've been around here a while (or, for the matter, that your concept actually looks professional as opposed to other freehand sketches).

Again, my mistake, and I apologize.

I feel the one on the right is missing something as well, perhaps add a silouette of the liberty bell or independence hall at the top? I am thinking a black logo in the middle. If not this some sort of text. However, its one hell of a concept anyways.

-dw

That's a volleyball in the one on the left.

I will, you're retarded :flagusa:

Historically, the United States is among the oldest soccer nations in the world. We were playing the game long before most of Europe, back when soccer balls looked like that. But ... there is virtually no public awareness of soccer history in the United States. To most Americans, soccer starts in the 1970s and an "old" soccer ball has lots of black pentagons on it. If the shield is meant as a sort of in-joke, and you think it's a great idea for a marginal sports team to go out of its way to confuse and possibly alienate new fans, then yes, it's a great idea to feature an old-fashioned ball that looks to most Americans like a volleyball, and then to mock anyone who wonders why there's a volleyball on a soccer logo.

If, on the other hand, the point is to try to attract fans to the team and to the sport and create a logo the wider community of can identify with, then maybe creating a logo with an old fashioned ball that seems designed mainly to give hardcore, insider fans the opportunity to call the uninitiated retards or morons, maybe that's not such a great bit of design work actually.

As an aside, I prefer concept A, but only slightly. The CA logo just doesn't work for me. Which is to say, it reads to me as CA, not AC, and if it's CA it obviously cannot be English. There's a whole adjective-before-noun thing going on that makes CA look foreign. My favorite would be concept C, where the 76 is set on a plain cream circle instead of the overly busy ball image. I really like this concept in general, and somehow I don't even mind the colors, which I would normally be inclined to do given the city and team name.

20082614447.png

Archived