Joe Mauer's Helmet

chriscj83

So, I'm watching the Twins and Tigers game, and I noticed Twins catcher Joe Mauer is wearing a Twins helmet, but im unsure of when they wore it. The back part is blue, the brim is red and the front is white, with the TC logo.

Catchers often have painted helmets (hockey style) but I've never seen this before. I'll look for a picture for reference..

qvAvG.jpg

He wears that underneath an older style mask? Is that what's being said.

Yeah, sorry. It was that helmet I posted above, under a normal-style catcher's mask. I was gonna get a picture off of my tv, but I was too slow.

I don't know when he started wearing that, or if he has before, I just thought it was interesting.

qvAvG.jpg

Funny, I was at the game, and just got back to Bemidji, and was going to post that fact... Too bad I didn't take my camera to the Dome. Also, as a side note, the Twins bullpen catcher, I believe Aron Amundson had the same helmet.

Moose

Twins notes from MLB.com 5/7/06

This MLB.com link explains the new catching helmets for Mauer and Redmond.

Twins tidbits: "The catching helmets that Joe Mauer and Mike Redmond wear will look a bit different beginning on Sunday. The two had their helmets sent in to get painted for a more "old school" look. The red and white design with the classic "TC" logo will first be seen in Mauer's start today"

it's a great idea, i think, but is it even legal (baseball-wise, of course) to do that? can anybody just paint their helmet to alter it? essentially, guys like V. Guerrero and Doug Mientkewicz do this with pine tar i guess...

it's a great idea, i think, but is it even legal (baseball-wise, of course) to do that? can anybody just paint their helmet to alter it? essentially, guys like V. Guerrero and Doug Mientkewicz do this with pine tar i guess...

Catchers abide by different rules for helmets than batters.

The catchers abide.

Well, Twins @ Texas on ESPN tonight, and Mauer isn't wearing it. Either it's just for home games, or he was told he couldn't wear it...

Also, as a side note, the Twins are wearing the vented batting helmets for the first time this year...

Moose

I saw a few batters on Sunday wearing the vented helmets, Torii Hunter was wearing one for sure, I'm not completely sure of when they started wearing them, however. It might have been this last Tigers series, because I can't recall if they wore them before then.

qvAvG.jpg

For those of you old enough, the red, white and blue Twins helmet will always be "The Rod Carew Helmet" to me.

rodcarewminifig.JPG

I had the standard blue Twins batting helmet when I was a kid and painted mine to look like that one.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Archived