Steelers logo from Hall of Fame

MarkAtnip

Greetings

I was perusing some photos I took at the football HOF and in the corner of the Monday Night Football display I noticed this Steelers helmet sticker. I was under the impression (based on memory) that the word "Steelers" on the logo has been a solid font for most of its existence. This one has an outline and not all the letters are solid.

f7ef87ef.jpg

Here is the "normal" version that I am familliar with.

steelers-logo.jpg

Any insight into when this "outline" version was used? I friend of mine says he remembers it from the late 80's but that was just a possibility.

BroncosSig.jpg

I am from the Pittsburgh area, and that sticker that you see in the picture is simply a Steelers sticker that people have. You can purchase them just about anywhere here, grocery stores, convenience stores, and even the Steelers official merchandise stores in the malls. They cost about 99 cents, and haven't change styles since the early 70's. It is not a helmet sticker, it is a "fashion" sticker.

there have been minute changes in the Steelers helmet logo over the past 7-10 years. Look at a Steelers helmet logo from the super bowl in 1996 and compare it to todays. The circle is a lighter shade of gray, the hypocycloids are less "pointy", and the word "Steelers" is less elongated from top to bottom.

I'm a Steelers fan, or else I wouldnt have noticed any of this crap.

You can put me down as slightly surprised if the Hall of Fame has a $1 sticker in their Monday Night Football display consisting of supposedly game used items. Not annoyed, but at least a touch surprised.

I was trying to figure out how the black bordered sticker would work on the helmet. I suppose that explains it.

BroncosSig.jpg

there have been minute changes in the Steelers helmet logo over the past 7-10 years.  Look at a Steelers helmet logo from the super bowl in 1996 and compare it to todays.  The circle is a lighter shade of gray, the hypocycloids are less "pointy", and the word "Steelers" is less elongated from top to bottom.

I'm a Steelers fan, or else I wouldnt have noticed any of this crap.

Most of those changes you've mentioned could be legit, but the Gray hasn't changed since at LEAST 1987 (and probably well before that).

Same Pantone has been listed in every Style Guide and official graphic I've seen.

Ooops. Should've known better than to rely on my memory...

It was actually darkened between the 1996 and 1997 seasons...

I think that's what he said. When you compare the old helmet sticker to the current one, the old one is a lighter shade of grey than the new one. That's how I took it, anyway.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I think that's what he said. When you compare the old helmet sticker to the current one, the old one is a lighter shade of grey than the new one. That's how I took it, anyway.

If that's the case, then my apologies...

:P

If you actually look at the picture that MarkAtnip posted, it is not a helmet sticker at all, it is in fact just a sticker with no helmet attached to it, and is placed on what looks like the face of a known terrorist. Unfortunately, we can not tell which terrorist is a fan of the Steelers, for the rest of his face is cut off. I, for one, would not be surprised if it was indeed Osama Bin Laden, one big season in 2001, and disappointment ever since. He could be a Kordell fan.

Archived