St. Louis Cardinals

jgsmith725

Did you use a jersey template on those? If so, which?

He used the MLB style guide as the base.

I like them. I don't know if it was intentional or not, but I like the old style numbers. The only things I would make different, would be to make the piping white between the red and blue on the greys and make the L loop around the bat. Will stirrups be part of the uniform?

Right now, there are three teams in MLB that don't have their location on their road jerseys, and I personally don't like it.

Save the slugalo.

Yeah, but it's what you do. It doesn't matter how big or small your fanbase is, you play somewhere, and it should be duly represented on the traveling uniforms. Especially with St. Louis, with its "best fans in baseball," the city should be on there.

Under that idea, it would be better if teams used the name of their city (or geographical region) on their home uniforms rather than on road uniforms. That way, under this kind of reasoning, the players would be telling the fans, "We are YOU." I mean, wouldn't that make more sense?

The way I always interpreted it was using the nickname at home, and representing the city (the more formal designation) when not at their own park. But whatever, you're not gonna change your mind.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

My biggest complaint is that if you're gonna have the away jerseys say "St. Louis" then the top of the L should curve around the bat in the same way that the top of the S does.

I like the blue jerseys, but not as much as our current red batting practice jerseys. I know that the Cardinals said that they would never wear alternate jerseys or batting practice jerseys during a real game.

And the striping on the sleeves looks good as well.

From my understanding (and I could be wrong on this) the away jerseys never said "St. Louis" because for a while the Cardinals were the team that was the farthest west, so they had fans everywhere and they didn't want to aileniate (sp?) any of them.

Personally, as a Cardinals fan outside of St. Louis, I wouldn't be devastated with "St. Louis" on the away jerseys, but I would vote against it because of tradition.

They wore them for 3 years...

In 1930 St. Louis on aways:

nl_1930_stlouis_01.gif

In 1931 & 32 on both:

nl_1931_stlouis_01.gif

nl_1932_stlouis_01.gif

Since then, other than 1956 they have had the Birds on the Bat with Cardinals below it. FYI: The birds on the bat started in 1922.

Here's the 56 uniform:

nl_1956_stlouis_01.gif

I want the Cardinals to go back to the old hat logo with the serifed letters.

cardhats.jpg

I just think it looks better.

I totally agree. the serifed letters look a lot better and make me think of the traditional baseball letters.

appsiggold.png

I've always thought that the Cards should have a red home alt and a navy road alt. Of course, I'm also a person who would like to see the "St. Louis" script on the road jerseys.

Also, I never knew the Cards that two different version of the "STL" logo.

The white Cardinals jersey looks absolutely perfect. Why wear it less in favor of an inferior red jersey that the script either A)gets lost on being red on red or B) is compromised by changing the color of? No alts for the Cardinals, please. No alts for like, most of baseball, for that matter.

I want the Cardinals to go back to the old hat logo with the serifed letters.

cardhats.jpg

I just think it looks better.

Actually, the current one looks a lot cleaner and simpler than the old serifed version.

QPR%20Sig.png

Actually, the current one looks a lot cleaner and simpler than the old serifed version.

I know what you mean. But I think if the serifed version had thicker navy blue outlines, as the current StL has, then that serifed versiou would be perfect.

The one on the site had no blue outline at all, so I had to add that in. Did they have outlines? I don't know offhand. I'll try to find pictures, I guess.

Also, I don't care for the navy blue road hat, because the red one is so much more better. I'm generally against having more than one hat. The red bill on the Cubs hat doesn't look as good as all blue. The yellow A's on all green is much less interesting than a white A's on green with a gold brim. I could go on like this. There's always one hat that's going to be better than the other one or two or three, so why wear it less?

I know what you mean. But I think if the serifed version had thicker navy blue outlines, as the current StL has, then that serifed versiou would be perfect.

Even that would look too cluttered and anachronisitic in my opinion. A combination of elements from the two logos might look all right, though.

QPR%20Sig.png

I always liked the Browns style. I say combine all three and it'd be awesome.

But I'm ok with the current one as well.

http://sportslogos.net/logo.php?lo=1342

I like the roundedness of it, that makes it the closest of the three STLs to the wordmark, which is important, because any time you suggest the Nats should wear the DC cap as they were meant to, someone goes WELL GEEEEEEEEZ THE CARDNIALS DON"T MATCH! Ony problem is that the T gets really lost in there.

Great work - very nice concept. I'm a huge fan of changing the away jerseys to read "St. Louis." It just looks goofy to see a game where both teams have their nicknames on the jersey.

Though I can't stand it when things are done just for the sake of marketing, there's no denying they'd pick up some sales from the change.

Ever since NFL teams went to using wordmarks on their jerseys I've wished one of them would use the city name on their away jerseys. That would be very cool.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

• 4 months later...

Concept looks really amazing. Nice work with it.

That being said, the blue alts are a touch iffy. Primarily because Blue's been more of a trim color for the Cards over the years, and also (not to nitpick), but your blue jersey trim striping is very close to what umpire blue shirts have :P. Agree with the others that I'd like to see at least one (preferably the home) done up in red. Aside from that, this is near-perfect!

Archived