Pre-Contest Concerts

HedleyLamarr

Does anyone else get tired of these?

It seems like every big sporting event in the US now has some band performing a song or two before the contest: tonight's Home Run Derby, probably tomorrow night's All-Star Game, the Super Bowl, the Pro Bowl, the NFL's first game on Thursday night, NBA All-Star Game, each Nextel Cup race....I can go on and on.

Is this getting out of hand?

I agree 100%. I don't turn on a sporting event to see some has been musical act. The halftime show at the super bowl is the only one that should exist, since that just fills dead time.

VmWIn6B.png

Well I don't mind them so much, it does fill dead time like you said. Might as well see something entertaining as opposed to an empty field, court, etc.

Yes, if you're at the event in person, but you shouldn't have to see some musical performance by someone if you are at home. Just change the channel or do something else for those boring 5 - 10 minutes.

I mind them more and more with every passing year.

Of course, I remember going to sporting events to, you know, watch the sporting event. No concerts, no riding the Ferris wheel, no browsing the food court and shopping mall, no sampling the microbrews, no pretend announcer's booth, no carnival games.

The only good thing about all these concerts, is that most of the musical acts are crappy enough that down time is still down time. I can stretch my legs or grab something to eat and not feel bad missing Ashlee Simpson or Yellowcard or N*SYNC. Of course, the downside is that you don't know if someone's gonna flash boobs, but it's a risk I am willing to take.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

9 times out of 10 sports concerts don't work. I do think there are rare occasions when the event sponsors do pick the right band and song for an event and when it does happen I think it brings a little something extra to the game.

With that said, I'm pretty sure no one got amped up for tonight's festivities.

#CHOMPCHOMPCHOMP

I agree.

The worst ever incident was not before a game though. I think it was the year Tampa won the Super Bowl and after the game ended, they brought Bon Jovi on stage to sing "It's my life" (not a great song, but not even the point). If i recall, they played the song before the trophy presentation. It was terrible.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I can stretch my legs or grab something to eat and not feel bad missing Ashlee Simpson or Yellowcard or N*SYNC.

I've had just about enough of your *NSYNC bashing, mister...

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I agree.

The worst ever incident was not before a game though. I think it was the year Tampa won the Super Bowl and after the game ended, they brought Bon Jovi on stage to sing "It's my life" (not a great song, but not even the point). If i recall, they played the song before the trophy presentation. It was terrible.

Not to mention that Bon Jovi had already played at the Kickoff Concert and at Thanksgiving. Had they played anymore they would've reached the Barenaked Ladies at "insert an NHL event here" level

#CHOMPCHOMPCHOMP

Archived