Should have gone with a throwback

Stampman

Last Saturday the Saskatchewan honoured the first of their 2 Grey Cup winning teams (from 66--so 40 years)--

As I watched the game with the horrid RBK unis I found myself wishing they'd gone with throwbacks--both teams (Riders & Stamps)

The Lions did that a couple of years ago with their paw helmet & sort of throwback unis.

But then RBK probably would have messed them up and they'd have looked worse than the what they have.

(At least the Riders didn't wear their black alts)

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I always shake my head when teams honor the anniversary of their own past success and do NOT capitalize on the additional...capital... they could create by just donning some vintage era-throwback unis and apparel for the game and selling it in stores.

My Patriots honored the 20th anniversary of the 1985 AFC Champs team against the Dolphins during the last home game of the 2005 season. While I would've seen this as a prime opportunity to move some inventory by having the Pats wear their red throwbacks, they still put out a good deal of throwback apparel (such as the "Squish the Fish" t-shirts circa 1985 - one of which I proudly own) to tie into the event. Plus they have an entire section of their ProShop dedicated to just throwback apparel.

Some teams (like the Chargers and Cowboys) will cater to their fanbase by wearing throwbacks on a semi-regular basis, while others (Patriots, Broncos) would seemingly rather wear mediocre/mundane/alternate versions of their current uniforms.

...sigh...

Last Saturday the Saskatchewan honoured the first of their 2 Grey Cup winning teams (from 66--so 40 years)--

As I watched the game with the horrid RBK unis I found myself wishing they'd gone with throwbacks--both teams (Riders & Stamps)

The Lions did that a couple of years ago with their paw helmet & sort of throwback unis.

But then RBK probably would have messed them up and they'd have looked worse than the what they have.

(At least the Riders didn't wear their black alts)

Took the words right off of my fingertips, Stampman.

The '66 Rider set have a great traditional feel ? sort of like the current New York Giant unis. Would have made for a great addition to the event.

Instead, they're stuck in those gawdawful rbk duds. Each set/combo is uglier than the last one, with the exception of the black-on-black Rider unis which are at the absolute end of the ugly scale.

Bring back the green-and-white! Say goodbye to the black and silver!

I was also at the game. I'm actually a fan of the current set when they wear silver pants. It's an improvement over what they had before.

I was a little surprised that they didn't wear throwbacks, though. As DGivens said, they surely would have made some good coin from it. But the worst part was that they had the '66 legends in the current style white jerseys and not throwbacks! They even showed a fan on the big screen that had a throwback on, but the Riders couldn't find some for the actual throwback players? Pretty inexcusable.

As an aside, it really bothers me that all Riders replicas have the wrong number font on them. Look at this photo of Lancaster and Reed wearing replica jerseys:

DSC_0849[2].jpg

Now compare the numbers to the real deal:

s062614a.jpg

They're way off. I'm reluctant to get my jersey numbered because of it.

This is completely unrelated, but I'd like to thank Stampman for avoiding one of the most infuriating grammatical errors that I seem to encounter on a daily basis: he properly titled this post "Should HAVE gone with a throwback" while most of the idiots out there would have written "Should OF gone with a throwback." :blink:

I hate to rant, but this drives me nuts! :cursing: People are too lazy to realize that what they are trying to say is "should've" and not "should of."

Rant over. Seacrest OUT. ^_^

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

This is completely unrelated, but I'd like to thank Stampman for avoiding one of the most infuriating grammatical errors that I seem to encounter on a daily basis: he properly titled this post "Should HAVE gone with a throwback" while most of the idiots out there would have written "Should OF gone with a throwback." :blink:

I hate to rant, but this drives me nuts! :cursing: People are too lazy to realize that what they are trying to say is "should've" and not "should of."

Wow. Thank you William Safire.

I get to be pretty particular about grammar and spelling as well, but to correct a usage error that was never even made? That's dedication.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I hate to rant, but this drives me nuts! :cursing:  People are too lazy to realize that what they are trying to say is "should've" and not "should of."

Wow. Thank you William Safire.

I get to be pretty particular about grammar and spelling as well, but to correct a usage error that was never even made? That's dedication.

There is nothing about either of these posts that I don't love. I thank God every day that I found these boards, where I can be an obsessive-compulsive maniac and feel accepted.

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

It's a common one, but all through school I went to schools that placed a big emphasis on grammar.

So if you see poor grammar in any of my posts, it is either-

a:intentional (I think it sounds better)

b:a typo

c:I was lazy.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

• 3 weeks later...

I missed this one...

The Roughriders applied for a throwback uniform for this game, but their application was deemed 'too late' by the league. Appartently, Reebok can change everyone's jersey in 2 weeks, but if you want to wear something other than that, you need to give 2 years notice.

The Riders will have vintage jerseys to use during Labour Day games starting in 2007. I haven't heard anything about the Bombers.

Spoiler

New York Rangers. Stanley Cup Champions - 1928, 1933, 1940, 1994. Saskatchewan. Cold. 1905-2022.

I missed this one...

The Roughriders applied for a throwback uniform for this game, but their application was deemed 'too late' by the league. Appartently, Reebok can change everyone's jersey in 2 weeks, but if you want to wear something other than that, you need to give 2 years notice.

The Riders will have vintage jerseys to use during Labour Day games starting in 2007. I haven't heard anything about the Bombers.

Yeah that's weird--and the Argis should have had throwback helmets--if not unis a week ago--from their Cup winning team tribute.

Archived