Miwaukee Admirals Changing Logos

josdin00

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If this was a major league team we were talking about, I might agree with you. But this is the minors - I think it's perfect.

I don't buy the excuse that just because it's a minor leauge team they get a free pass when it comes to the quality of their logo.

They don't get a "free pass," but it's important to understand that the purposes for their logos are different. Major league sports have to balance tradition, style, and marketability in roughly equal parts (depending on your league and status within it).

Minor league teams are all about marketability and visibility. With some rare exceptions, they are not bound by tradition, and have parent clubs that shift and cause frequent color, style, and logo changes. Minor-league clubs in major league markets are up against even more significant obstacles, so they have to do something that distinguishes them in a crowd of entertainment and merchandise dollar draws.

I'm not crazy about what the MilAds did, but I can completely understand and respect it from this point of view. They created a logo that has relatively broad appeal, particular to some traditionally potent revenue streams (kids). The colors and the logo may serve to bring attention to the club from non-traditional hockey fans.

In sum, they brought out a logo that breaks a few rules and has some design issues from a designer's standpoint, but it is closely aligned with the goals and aspirations of a minor-league team.

If this was a major league team we were talking about, I might agree with you.  But this is the minors - I think it's perfect.

I don't buy the excuse that just because it's a minor leauge team they get a free pass when it comes to the quality of their logo.

I didn't say that.

The quality of the logo is just fine, thank you. I was referring to the sense of whimsy in the logo, which is entirely appropriate to the minor leagues and would not necessarily work in the majors.

I didn't like it at first, because it was so outside my expectations. But the more I've seen of it, the more I like it. It's easily the best logo the Ads have ever used.

Voted with my wallet - I ordered a gray sweater. Can't wait to get it.

After watching this whole campaign unfold over the past few weeks, it looks like Yes Men has really accomplished something with this Admirals logo. For better or for worse, people have been talking about it here in the Milwaukee area. I still don't like the logo, but if that's what it takes to make our hockey team relevant again, maybe the change wasn't all for naught.

QPR%20Sig.png

That's an interesting point.

Milwaukee's a major league town in three sports, add in the college sports and the Ads must frequently get lost.

The important thing is what they do from here, I think. Changing logos every time you want the team's name in the paper is a trap all too easy to fall into. Better that they keep this look and continue to build winning hockey around it.

Archived