Bengals DT Charged With Resisting Arrest

PittsburghSucks

More thugs in the Nati :P

Bengals DT Charged With Resisting Arrest

From Associated Press

July 23, 2006 11:42 AM EDT

CINCINNATI - Officers trying to arrest Cincinnati Bengals defensive tackle Matthias Askew after a parking violation used a Taser to subdue him and charged him with resisting arrest.

The 24-year-old Askew struggled with officers trying to handcuff him Saturday evening and broke away before he was shocked, police spokesman Lt. Tom Lanter said. Askew ignored an officer's warning to move his illegally parked car and then refused to give his identification, Lanter said.

Askew, also charged with obstructing official business, was released on his own recognizance and was scheduled to appear in court Monday, a jail official said.

The 6-foot-5, 302-pound lineman was a fourth-round draft pick in 2004 from Michigan State. He played in five games as a rookie, but was active for only one game last season.

Bengals spokesman Jack Brennan said Sunday morning he could not confirm Askew's arrest and had no other information.

The arrest came about a week after Bengals owner Mike Brown issued a statement to reassure fans the team has standards for its players. Three other Bengals have been charged with criminal offenses in recent months.

"We want our fans to know that we share their concerns regarding the recent off-field conduct of several Bengals players," Brown said in the statement. "We expect our players to be good citizens, as most are, and we hold them accountable for their conduct under team and league rules."

Last month, second-year receiver Chris Henry pleaded not guilty in Covington, Ky., to charges that he provided alcohol to three underage females. He also faces a drunken driving charge in suburban Cincinnati, and is scheduled for trial Aug. 21 in Florida on a charge of carrying a concealed weapon.

A.J. Nicholson, a fifth-round pick in April, was charged last month with burglarizing the apartment of a former Florida State teammate. He also faces grand theft and vandalism charges in Florida.

Also last month, defensive end Frostee Rucker was charged with two counts of spousal battery and vandalism in Los Angeles. The third-round pick has denied the allegations.

Clevelandcavaliersfirstlogo.gif Cleveland Cavaliers Curent Logo.png Cavs New Logo 2017-18.jpg

I swear the Bengals are the Portland Trail Blazers of the NFL

That's exactly what I was thinking. When I saw the topic, I was hoping it wasn't the guy they devoted a whole episode of "Outside The Lines" to. Then I saw it was Mattias Askew, and I was like "Damn! Jail Blazers from Cincinnati"

With the exception of Chris Henry none of these guys are key contributors, so as a bengal fan I am not that worried about all of this. You could even argue that Chris "I drop winning touchdowns against Jacksonville" Henry isn't a key contributor. The Bengals have more than enough depth at reciever to overcome his likely absence.

PvO6ZWJ.png

With the exception of Chris Henry none of these guys are key contributors, so as a bengal fan I am not that worried about all of this. You could even argue that Chris "I drop winning touchdowns against Jacksonville" Henry isn't a key contributor. The Bengals have more than enough depth at reciever to overcome his likely absence.

You're telling me Odell Thurman isn't a contributor?!?

You're telling me Odell Thurman isn't a contributor?!?

Oh man. I totally forgot about Odell. Ya ok with the exception of him none of these guys are a big loss to the Bengals.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived