Titans ink Greatness

Titans agree to terms with both Young, White day before camp

By TERESA M. WALKER, AP Sports Writer

July 27, 2006

AP - Jul 27, 5:31 pm EDT

More Photos

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- The Tennessee Titans promised they wanted Vince Young, the third pick overall and the first quarterback taken in the draft, under contract before they opened training camp.

They avoided any lengthy holdouts Thursday, agreeing to terms with both Young and LenDale White a day before the first practice Friday afternoon.

Young, the No. 3 overall pick out of Texas, agreed to a five-year deal, with an option for a sixth, with $25.7 million guaranteed and an overall value that could reach $58 million with option and roster bonuses and salary.

That would top the six-year, $54 million deal with $26.5 million guaranteed for the top draft pick, defensive end Mario Williams of Houston.

"It was a great deal for us," said Major Adams, the quarterback's agent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Adams flew into Nashville a week ago and has been negotiating with Reese to have Young under contract before the Titans open training camp on Friday afternoon. The Titans also wanted Young in camp on time to speed his development for a team trying to rebound from a 4-12 record in 2005.

"We're pleased to finish up these rookie contracts in time for camp," general manager Floyd Reese said.

"Both sides had one goal, and that was to get him in on time," Adams said. "We accomplished that, and we worked diligently to get him in."

Adams said Young, who was in Nashville on Thursday, was very excited and will be in Clarksville on Friday.

Coach Jeff Fisher called the deals good news even though the deals still had to be finalized and signed, which could delay Young's first practice.

"This is an especially important year for both these players, in addition to all the other draft choices," Fisher said. "They're able to come in at the start of camp and put a full training camp under their belt before the season starts."

Reese has had all but two of his top draft picks under contract before training camp since the franchise relocated to Tennessee from Houston in 1997. Cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones, the sixth pick overall in 2005, missed 20 days of training camp before signing his own five-year deal.

"This ensures that all of our rookies can focus on football and improving each day in practice so they can be in a position to contribute to the team," Reese said in a statement.

Young won't come into training camp as the starter. That job, for now, belongs to six-year veteran Billy Volek.

AP - Jul 27, 5:30 pm EDT

More Photos

But the Titans used their highest draft pick since taking Steve McNair in the same spot in 1995 looking for another franchise quarterback. They gambled on the athletic ability and promise shown by the 6-foot-4, 233-pound Young and drafted him over Matt Leinart of Southern California and Jay Cutler of Vanderbilt.

"Every practice is important," Fisher said. "Every session is important. Training camp goes beyond practice. It's meetings, walk-throughs, all those kinds of things. Every day is important, especially as it relates to a young quarterback."

Young led the Texas Longhorns to a 30-2 record in three seasons, including the national title last January in the Rose Bowl. Young completed 61.8 percent of his passes and also had 43 career runs of 20 yards or longer, including seven of 51 yards or longer.

He totaled 9,167 yards offense at Texas, a school record. He also was second in the Heisman Trophy voting last year and won the Davey O'Brien award as the top quarterback.

White, the former Southern California running back, lost that Rose Bowl to Young and also came out after his junior season. But it was a right hamstring injury that kept him from running for teams before the draft that dropped him from a possible top 15 pick to the second round where Tennessee took him with the 45th pick overall.

The 6-foot-1, 235-pound running back will find himself behind starter Chris Brown and veteran Travis Henry. But White has shown both power with 52 rushing touchdowns and dependability with only four fumbles in his last 541 carries.

He averaged 6.6 yards per carry and led the nation in scoring with 156 points in 2005.

The Titans also agreed to terms with fifth-round pick Terna Nande. The linebacker from Miami of Ohio agreed to terms on a three-year contract.

------------------------

this should make VY and Titans fans happy.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Okay. So Vince Young allegedly got a 6 on the Wonderlic and was supposed to be stupid. Major Adams, Young's agent, had never brokered a professional football contract and was supposed to be stupid. VY gets $25.7M in guarantees (just $800G less), will pretty much get a paid redshirt year, and has pretty much set the parameters for the Reggie Bush deal, since the pick before and the pick after Bush has signed.

Who's stupid now?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Okay.  So Vince Young allegedly got a 6 on the Wonderlic and was supposed to be stupid.

Yeah, but my 11 year old brother who knows nothing about football could have ran the Texas offence. Norm Chow's a whole 'nother ball of wax, especially when blitz-happy defences like Indianapolis, Tampa Bay, or Pittsburgh come to town.

BTW, to be fair, it's my same complaint with Michael Vick, but I cut Vick some slack since the guy hasn't had a consistent playbook since he got into the league.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Okay. So Vince Young allegedly got a 6 on the Wonderlic and was supposed to be stupid. Major Adams, Young's agent, had never brokered a professional football contract and was supposed to be stupid. VY gets $25.7M in guarantees (just $800G less), will pretty much get a paid redshirt year, and has pretty much set the parameters for the Reggie Bush deal, since the pick before and the pick after Bush has signed.

Who's stupid now?

You didn't hear Bud Adams got a 4.

Honestly, I think it is dumb idea to give rookies big money contracts. They have not proven themseleves yet to be good NFL players, then on top of that that have practically any leverage because if they don't sign they are making 0 dollars. In Vince Youngs case you don't give him more than the 1st pick.

As for Vince YOung I don't think he will be a great pro. I don't think he's that good of a passer and a QB needs to be a great passer in the NFL because of the speed of the defense. Being able to run as a QB is a great skill to have but it needs to compliment the QB's passing not the other way around.

Matt Leinart is the next Chad Pennington.

This might be true; however, I'd rather take my chances with a quarterback who has no problems with his delivery and has proven he can win along with having one of his former coaches on the team than bringing in some hotshot quarterback who, while he did win his fair share as well, doesn't seem to be mature enough to be able to handle the pro game.

Hopefully, though, I'll be eating those words in four years.

Redshirt year is right. Rumor is that Kerry Collins is in Nashville right now and if he passes a physical will join the Titans training camp on Monday.

Collins has not been seen in Nashville at the Titans Facility or at training camp up the road in Clarksville. Rumor is that ESPN was duped by Collins' agent to create buzz and interest.

RobbyBox2.jpg

Collins has not been seen in Nashville at the Titans Facility or at training camp up the road in Clarksville. Rumor is that ESPN was duped by Collins' agent to create buzz and interest.

I must say that I am shocked and dismayed at such a display by the agent to seek publicity for his client, and I know for sure that the network would never agree to such an agreement to hype a player's situation to improve his status in his profession.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Redshirt year is right. Rumor is that Kerry Collins is in Nashville right now and if he passes a physical will join the Titans training camp on Monday.

Take that, ESPN.

Save the slugalo.

so, brass, you're saying that you'd just offer your services for the league minimum, as opposed to absolutely guaranteeing your future's well being?

it's cute when a 17 year old knows how the world works.

Wait till you get a real job (not selling bootleg t-shirts online...yeah, it's a cheap shot) and have to negotiate something. You take what you can get, and if you can get more, you take that :censored: too. If someone is dumb enough to give you what you want, you don't take less because morons whom you don't know and don't know you may criticize you for being greedy.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Wait till you get a real job (not selling bootleg t-shirts online...yeah, it's a cheap shot) and have to negotiate something. You take what you can get, and if you can get more, you take that :censored: too. If someone is dumb enough to give you what you want, you don't take less because morons whom you don't know and don't know you may criticize you for being greedy.

joel, I would love for you to point out where I said they should take the league minimum. What I'm saying is that they are getting these huge egos and holding out until they get the money they 'deserve'. This is what is crumbling sports. Players thinking they are owed the world for playing a game. But what the hell anyway? In your eyes you're always right.

As for greg, don't talk about :censored: you don't know. I do have a job throughout summer. Those 'bootleg' shirts have also netted me a nice $150 total thus far. Not bad seeing as it's something that takes 5 minutes to do a computer. Easy money. So next time, check your sources before you say that I don't have a job.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

As for greg, don't talk about :censored: you don't know. I do have a job throughout summer. Those 'bootleg' shirts have also netted me a nice $150 total thus far. Not bad seeing as it's something that takes 5 minutes to do a computer. Easy money. So next time, check your sources before you say that I don't have a job.

How much of that $150 will you have after the State of Connecticut?s lawyers get through with you?

As for greg, don't talk about  :censored: you don't know. I do have a job throughout summer. Those 'bootleg' shirts have also netted me a nice $150 total thus far. Not bad seeing as it's something that takes 5 minutes to do a computer. Easy money. So next time, check your sources before you say that I don't have a job.

How much of that $150 will you have after the State of Connecticut?s lawyers get through with you?

I don't believe any, after I have cleared it with them on all copyright laws.

what the hell is ccslc?

These guys haven't even been in an NFL play yet, and they want the world.

Ridicilous...

Dont place all the blame for Vince Youngs's contract on the rookie, Bud Adam(the Titans owner) made that pick as much as the GM Floyd Reese ot anybody else. Bud wanted the texas kid for the former Oilers. On a tangent his grandkid, who attendes nearby Sewanee University. is attending the trating camp, staying in the dorms with the players and coaches.

RobbyBox2.jpg

These guys haven't even been in an NFL play yet, and they want the world.

Ridicilous...

Dont place all the blame for Vince Youngs's contract on the rookie, Bud Adam(the Titans owner) made that pick as much as the GM Floyd Reese ot anybody else. Bud wanted the texas kid for the former Oilers. On a tangent his grandkid, who attendes nearby Sewanee University. is attending the trating camp, staying in the dorms with the players and coaches.

Hmm, wasn't aware of that. Thanks! But I still think that this is a continuing trend.

what the hell is ccslc?

Archived