Opinions needed for custom jersey

landfill

Hi. Long time reader, occasional poster. I'd like some constructive criticism from you fine folks.

I received a blue Edmonton Oilers practice jersey for my birthday. I was thinking of customizing it a little with:

1. 2006 Stanley Cup patch on right upper chest;

2. Regular jersey shoulder patch (oil worker pulling hockey stick) on right shoulder; and,

3. Oilers 80's logo shoulder patch on left shoulder.

Is this too much? I am not planning on personalizing the jersey with a player name or number.

I am not sure how to make a template of it, otherwise I would....

Thanks!

Of your three ideas, the first is your best idea. While I am not sure what kind of patches teams put on their practice gear, it's a safe bet that they're not decorated with all of the patches seen on game sweaters. That said, overdecorating a practice jersey makes it into something it's not, and turns it into something between a dolled-up practice sweater and a subpar attempt at making a game sweater. As an added bonus, the Cup patch would commemorate for all time the magical ride your Oilers went on through the playoffs last spring. It dates the sweater nicely - even if I am not sure if the team wore patches during practice.

I am of the opinion that reality is what matters most. So if their practice sweaters don't have the shoulder patches like the game sweaters - and intuitively, I can't see why a team would go to the extra trouble and cost of outfitting practice gear with superfluous patchwork - then leave the shoulder patches off. Similarly, a patch with the '80s logo is going to look horribly incongruous on a 2006 sweater, since the team changed its color scheme with the new design. Finally, asymmetrical patches on hockey sweaters NEVER looks right.

Don't trash up the sweater with a bunch of mix & match patches. The Cup patch would be a nice, if possibly incorrect, idea. But the other patches would make the sweater look very bad in the end. It's your sweater, but think about what you're proposing before you go ruining a nice gift.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I would leave it. The teams don't even put numbers on them anymore (I dont' think they do anyway, correct me if I'm wrong- I know that was a big fad the Rangers started) but those jerseys already have a lot going on. I would hang onto the patches, because you'll probably find something else you'd rather have them on.

"Hats for bats. Keep bats warm. Gracias"

Archived