Umpire Equipment Question

SgtCarp

Comfort and preference.

I own 2 masks, and one helmet. If I work high school & up, I wear the helmet, because it deflects the impact of the ball better than the mask, which is very important when pitchers are throwing 80 mph and faster, and a foul tip coming back from the batter is even faster.

For all levels below, I wear the mask, because I don't feel it as much when I get dinged with a pitch or a foul.

The mask allows for a throat guard. I haven't seen a throat gard for the helmet yet.

I have no problem with loss of peripheral vision with either piece of equipment. I can take both of them off easily once I need to follow a play. I don't wear a hat with the helmet (like some umpires do), because it doesn't fit underneath. I wear a 7 5/8 hat, and I'd need a really big helmet for the hat to fit under it.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Something I've always wondered:

I realize when all umpires went away from the huge pillow of a chest protector, they did so for added mobility. But wasn't the big chest protector offering better protection than what they now wear?

I realize when all umpires went away from the huge pillow of a chest protector, they did so for added mobility. But wasn't the big chest protector offering better protection than what they now wear?

I wear a mask and use it in all levels of ball that I work.

I have tried the hockey style helmet and did not like the lack of vision it created.

I know a handful of umpires (baseball & softball) that use the hockey mask, but not many.

The outside protectors did off better protection but less comfort.

Plate umpires had to carry the balloon protector all around the field.

It was difficult to carry it, dispose of it when a call was to be made, and then to make the call. The inside protectors provide for a significant increase in mobility and still offer alot of protection.

I believe the NL was the first league where umpires were encouraged to use the inside protector. The AL followed several years later. For you younguns, MLB umpires belonged to either the AL or NL back in the day before he umpires were combined into one group.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

Once upon a time, I tried out some of the equipment used for softball, it's all close. The big bulky stuff was really awkward to wear, umps are constantly moving, and when you have to wear it for the entire game, it does wear on you.

THe pillow, if it's in good condition will take more of hte impact than smaller ones, but it's more comfortable to go with a smaller one.

Face masks are something different though. I never liked the traditional cage, I played catched when i first first started baseball, the leather was extremely uncomfortable as was the hat. But it is traditional, and as we see with the traditional members of the board here, traditions die hard. Convienience and comfort definatly favour the hockey masks, some guys I guess are just old school, they like their leather and will ride with it until they quit

Archived