A plea for compassion to the NCAA

fiasco!

this has got to be one of the most amazing stories i've heard about an athlete in a while. if the ncaa decides against allowing him the help he needs, they really need to get their priorities straight about what's right and wrong for student-athletes.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/colleges/15406012.htm

Don't rule out compassion

By Wendell Barnhouse

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Ray Ray McElrathbey is a redshirt freshman cornerback at Clemson. According to NCAA rules, his life would be better if his mother was dead and he wasn't a scholarship athlete.

McElrathbey is 19 going on 49. His mother, who lives in Atlanta, has been addicted to crack cocaine for more than a decade. His father has a gambling problem and lives in Las Vegas.

This summer, McElrathbey requested and was granted temporary custody of his 11-year-old brother, Fahmarr, who moved to Clemson, S.C., to stay in an off-campus apartment with his older brother/surrogate father.

Unless you're an Oklahoma quarterback on the take, a football scholarship doesn't exactly cover the cost of living for one person, let alone two.

A recent story on Ray Ray and Fahmarr in the Charleston Post and Courier elicited an outpouring of generosity. People wanted to help with money, food, school supplies, toys.

It was the kind of response and support that makes you proud to call yourself a human being.

Folks wanted to help a young man who was trying to do the right thing.

The NCAA rules said no.

McElrathbey is a scholarship athlete. That means no "extra benefits." Fahmarr goes to school with several children whose fathers are assistant coaches at Clemson. He can't accept rides to or from school from those families -- that's an extra benefit.

Clemson offensive coordinator Rob Spence and his wife asked if they could become Fahmarr's foster parents. Nope. That's an extra benefit.

In this case, the NCAA's "extra benefits" rule means an 11-year-old goes wanting. The only way any person connected with the Clemson athletic department can help Ray Ray and Fahmarr is to request a waiver.

Clemson asked if it could set up a trust fund to handle the donations. Nope. A trust fund can only be used if there has been a death in the family.

If Ray Ray were just a regular student and his story had been told, he and his younger brother could benefit from the kindness of strangers. If their mother was dead, the NCAA would allow a trust fund.

In recent years, the NCAA has patted itself on the back for its "kinder and gentler" approach to student-athletes. If a student-athlete needs to go home for a funeral or needs a winter coat, he can avail himself of the Student-Athlete Special Assistance Fund and the Student-Athlete Opportunity Fund.

McElrathbey can apply for money from both, but Clemson's compliance director said that neither would provide enough to help raise a grade schooler.

"You get a little frustrated," Clemson coach Tommy Bowden said Wednesday. "Everybody says they're in [college sports] for the betterment of the student-athletes. This is a young man whose difficulties have been documented. I understand there are rules, but you would think there are times there are exceptions to a rule.

"Helping a young man, who doesn't have a car, take care of his younger brother, I don't see how that's a recruiting advantage."

The compliance folks in the Atlantic Coast Conference office told Clemson's director of compliance that McElrathbey's story is "sad but not unique."

Here's what's sad (but hardly unique): Myles Brand's total compensation as NCAA president is $870,000. Eight other NCAA executives make more than $255,000 per year.

Nowhere in the 576 pages of the NCAA's Division I Manual are the words "compassion" or "common sense."

The guys sitting in the corner offices in Indianapolis need to figure out a way where the rules become more like guidelines. Ray Ray McElrathbey is the kind of role model scholarship-athlete the NCAA needs to help, not hinder.

i've already written a letter to the ncaa offices about this, i urge you to do the same.

Can you give me an address so I can write the NCAA Offices? This is ridiculous, I am completely pissed off now because of those selfish insensitive bastards. Thanks in advance.

Cards08.jpg

World Champions: 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006

Can you give me an address so I can write the NCAA Offices? This is ridiculous, I am completely pissed off now because of those selfish insensitive bastards. Thanks in advance.

The National Collegiate Athletic Association

700 W. Washington Street

P.O. Box 6222

Indianapolis, Indiana 46206-6222

Phone: 317/917-6222

Fax: 317/917-6888

No.He shouldn't get aid.If he needs money so badly, why not drop out? McElrathbey is trying to rip the NCAA off.

How does dropping out of college help him or his little brother? That would only make the situation worse because we wouldn't get the education needed to get a decent job thus making it harder to provide for just not now but in the future. Given his family history I'm guessing he wouldn't be able to afford college without an athletic scholarship. The NCAA is wrong here they shouldn't punish a player for trying to do the right thing by taking care of his little brother and getting an education. This isn't a case where a player chooses a school because he as been given money/benifits to go play there. That's why the rules are in play and since that isn't the case with this situation an exemption should be granted.

How does dropping out of college help him or his little brother? That would only make the situation worse because we wouldn't get the education needed to get a decent job thus making it harder to provide for just not now but in the future. Given his family history I'm guessing he wouldn't be able to afford college without an athletic scholarship. The NCAA is wrong here they shouldn't punish a player for trying to do the right thing by taking care of his little brother and getting an education. This isn't a case where a player chooses a school because he as been given money/benifits to go play there. That's why the rules are in play and since that isn't the case with this situation an exemption should be granted.

Totally agree there. If the NCAA doesn't give an exception to him, I assume Tulane will then be put under sanctions because some of their players were given toiletries when they arrived at Louisiana Tech after Katrina?

And capptial92, stop being a troll.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

No.He shouldn't get aid.If he needs money so badly, why not drop out? McElrathbey is trying to rip the NCAA off.

You're an idiot. He has a broken family and he is taking care of his little brother, and with no education how will he get a job to support both?

Shut the fk up.

I sort of agree with cappital92. If some of you would open your eyes, you may see what he's talking about.

You don't need a college education to get a job that pays a liveable wage. Many hard labor jobs (e.g. construction) pay upwards of $20-30 an hour. There are also other decent jobs that require only high school education. And he can always work two jobs (one good paying, one for the extra cash). You guys need to ask youselves - how do single moms with like six kids and no college education do well?? They work extra jobs.

College will always be there for him. If he wants to go back, he should apply for financial aid and grants. Heaven forbid that this kid quits the football team and tries to apply for some sort of academic scholarship. If he can't afford Clemson, he can always look at a smaller school with a lesser tuition and get his degree there.

It's not a terrible situation if he drops out.

Cappital92, I wouldn't say he is trying to rip off the NCAA in his current situation, though. That's a bit unfair.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I sort of agree with cappital92. If some of you would open your eyes, you may see what he's talking about.

You don't need a college education to get a job that pays a liveable wage. Many hard labor jobs (e.g. construction) pay upwards of $20-30 an hour. There are also other decent jobs that require only high school education. And he can always work two jobs (one good paying, one for the extra cash). You guys need to ask youselves - how do single moms with like six kids and no college education do well?? They work extra jobs.

College will always be there for him. If he wants to go back, he should apply for financial aid and grants. Heaven forbid that this kid quits the football team and tries to apply for some sort of academic scholarship. If he can't afford Clemson, he can always look at a smaller school with a lesser tuition and get his degree there.

Cappital92, I wouldn't say he is trying to rip off the NCAA in his current situation, though. That's a bit unfair.

College graduates make approximately 30% more than people who just have a high school diploma.

Explain to me again how dropping out and getting two jobs is better in the long run than getting a college degree?

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Rules are rules, folks. If you let one person break the rules, you have to let everyone break the rules. You have to maintain a leve playing field for everyone, no matter the circumstance.

I'm sure Ray Ray has another relative with good standing that can take in custody of his brother while Ray Ray's under scholarship. If not, there are other alternatives, such as dropping out of school.

College graduates make approximately 30% more than people who just have a high school diploma.

Explain to me again how dropping out and getting two jobs is better in the long run than getting a college degree?

Are you f'in serious with that question??

Two jobs is the answer in the SHORT RUN so he can afford a basic living for him and his brother. Once his brother becomes an adult, Ray Ray can always go back to Clemson or another college, get his degree, and make his 30% extra.

IT'S ALL ABOUT PRIORITIES.

And Fred, I know construction workers (with no college experience at all) who make more than twice the amount of a person with a college diploma. Figure that one out.

It's not unheard of for people to go back to school, Fred. If you think it is unfathomable, well you're not as smart as I thought.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I sort of agree with cappital92.  If some of you would open your eyes, you may see what he's talking about.

You don't need a college education to get a job that pays a liveable wage.  Many hard labor jobs (e.g. construction) pay upwards of $20-30 an hour.  There are also other decent jobs that require only high school education.  And he can always work two jobs (one good paying, one for the extra cash).  You guys need to ask youselves - how do single moms with like six kids and no college education do well??  They work extra jobs. 

College will always be there for him.  If he wants to go back, he should apply for financial aid and grants.  Heaven forbid that this kid quits the football team and tries to apply for some sort of academic scholarship. If he can't afford Clemson, he can always look at a smaller school with a lesser tuition and get his degree there. 

Cappital92, I wouldn't say he is trying to rip off the NCAA in his current situation, though.  That's a bit unfair.

What good is the "long run" if you've got pressing issues at the present?

The individual colleges are more student-friendly than the NCAA is. These colleges will be here later on, when his brother approaches 16 and can apply for work.

Are you f'in serious with that question??

Yes.

Two jobs is the answer in the SHORT RUN so he can afford a basic living for him and his brother.  Once his brother becomes an adult, Ray Ray can always go back to Clemson or another college, get his degree, and make his 30% extra.

The problem with that is that if you either (1) Wait a semester or even a year before starting college, or (2) take at least 1 semester off, your chances of graduating with a degree drops dramatically.

IT'S ALL ABOUT PRIORITIES.

Yup. Gambling your future for short-term needs is surely the way to go through life.

And Fred, I know construction workers (with no college experience at all) who make more than twice the amount of a person with a college diploma.

I know construction workers like that also, I tend to call them dad.

Figure that one out.

I can also show you people with just HS Diplomas making tacos at Taco Bueno, and college graduates as CEOs of Fortune 500 companies. Whilst we can spend weeks tossing about point-counterpoint about this, the statistics show clearly that you make more in the long run if you graduate from college.

It's not unheard of for people to go back to school, Fred.  If you think it is unfathomable, well you're not as smart as I thought.

Of course it's not unheard of. Heck, I had to take 18 months off because my previous school screwed me over over financial aid. But as I stated above, if you quit school, you are *much* more likely to never go back. He's got the financial aid already for playing football, so why not pursue it since it's in his hands already?

Besides, something everyone has missed is that he could always have a job whilst playing football. I know of players who have a job even during football season (and no, they aren't jobs Rhett Bomar would be familiar with), so it isn't without precedent. Why not have the best of both worlds?

How about Clemson just converts his athletic scholarship to and academic scholarship and he drops off the football team?

Would this have even been a story if he didn't play football? Also, would people have contributed so much if he weren't a player?

Even if he could get a job and play, there are still NCAA restrictions on what he can earn. I'm just gonna guess an ACC program doesn't afford much time for work, school, and practices.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

How about Clemson just converts his athletic scholarship to and academic scholarship and he drops off the football team?

It's a possibility, but, unfortunately, the NCAA may have something to say about that.

Would this have even been a story if he didn't play football?  Also, would people have contributed so much if he weren't a player?

Of course not (to both). However, if he wasn't a football player and got the money, there would be no question as to whether he could keep it or not. ;)

Even if he could get a job and play, there are still NCAA restrictions on what he can earn.  I'm just gonna guess an ACC program doesn't afford much time for work, school, and practices.

I thought about that, but the amount of money needed to live when your room and board are covered (via scholarship) isn't anywhere near that of someone without said scholarship. In addition, since many student-athletes are married (and have kids), I'm almost certain that the cap on earnings are higher if you have minors in your custody in comparison to Johnny Q. Jurgenson, All-American Kicker and single guy. A quick perusal of the NCAA's website came up empty, but then again, I'm no compliance agent. ;)

The NCAA only punnishes athleets not coaches look at what happenes when acoach quits and leaves the old university gets punnished the coach gets a fresh start. The NCAA hammers players is the y do one thing worng coaches geta free pass all the time.

There was a division 3 track meet where the coach filled out a players name wrong, and that player was no longer allowed to compete because of it.

They are a total joke.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived