Did anyone agree with the NFL alignment in 1970

neo_prankster

If you notice, the Cardinals formerly of the NFC East, still play the Eagles, Giants, Redskins, and Cowboys every season that they've been apart of the NFC West and so do the Colts playing those current AFC East teams which they were members of before 2002.

That isn't correct. Under the system in place since Houston joined the league, the teams in each division play the teams in the other divisions in their own conference every 3 years and the teams in each division in the other conference every 4 years, with the matchups rotating each year. Those games account for 8 games each year. In addition to the 6 intradivision games, that leaves 2 games each year, which are played against the teams finishing in the same place in the other divisions in their own conference.

Example -- This year the Ravens (and every other AFC North team) play each of the teams in the AFC West and NFC South as part of the rotation. They also play Tennessee and Buffalo, as they were the 3rd place finishers in the AFC South and AFC East (i.e., the non-rotation divisions) last year.

The Cardinals and Colts will play at least one NFC East or AFC East team, respectively, each year. However, they only play those divisions as a whole every 3 years (thus at most twice since 2002).

Thanks for clearing up a few parts of the schedule formula that I'd been unsure of. This explains why the Colts seem to play the Patriots every year. It also demonstrates why a 33rd team in Los Angeles would ruin everything. This system is almost perfect!

Seriously, the league considered a type of "rivalry" scheduling to be included in the new schedule wherein each team would be assigned a rival in the other conference that they would play every year (ex., Baltimore/Washington, Jets/Giants, Raiders/49ers). Ultimately, however, the owners voted against it. I would love to see that happen, but I understand why the symmetry of the current schedule was preferred by the owners.

The problem with this--and you get this in interleague baseball too--is that there are the obvious rivals, then you get to some that are reaches, then the bottom of the heap where you just put two teams together because nobody is left. (16/14 just makes it worse in baseball.) Like the ones you put there, those are good, they make sense. Who is Chicago's rival, though? The Packers are in the NFC. If you wanted to go old Chicago/new Chicago, you can't, because the Cardinals are in the NFC too. The Rams are in the NFC. This leaves you with the Colts, ostensibly to battle for the hearts of northwest Indiana fans, but doesn't really seem like it's a very big deal unless both teams are really good.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem with this--and you get this in interleague baseball too--is that there are the obvious rivals, then you get to some that are reaches, then the bottom of the heap where you just put two teams together because nobody is left. (16/14 just makes it worse in baseball.) Like the ones you put there, those are good, they make sense. Who is Chicago's rival, though? The Packers are in the NFC. If you wanted to go old Chicago/new Chicago, you can't, because the Cardinals are in the NFC too. The Rams are in the NFC. This leaves you with the Colts, ostensibly to battle for the hearts of northwest Indiana fans, but doesn't really seem like it's a very big deal unless both teams are really good.

You are right about the main problem. I gave the natural examples that come to mind, but there are some real stretches. For :censored: s and giggles while killing time one day, I tried to figure out who the rivals would be. I knocked about half of them in about 3 minutes, then got a little bogged down. I think the Bears did wind up with the Colts (that isn't so bad), but the worst one I remember was something like Patriots/Vikings (or maybe Bills/Vikings).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

For example, baseball. You start with crosstown:

NY Mets/NY Yankees

LA Dodgers/LA Angels

Chicago Cubs/Chi White Sox

San Francisco/Oakland

Washington/Baltimore

Then state

Houston/Texas

Florida/Tampa Bay

Cincinnati/Cleveland

Cardinals/Royals

And then you get some reaches.

Braves/Red Sox because they used to share Boston?

Padres/Mariners because they're the other two Pacific teams?

OK-NFL "interconference rivalry week" pairings:

Dallas-Houston

Jets-Giants

Eagles-Steelers

Redskins-Ravens

Chiefs-Rams

Dolphins-Bucs

Bears-Patriots (old Supe matchup)

Niners-Raiders

Bills-Lions (Ralph Wilson was a big Lions fans and the Bills' original colors were Lions silver and blue)

Panthers-Jaguars (same-year expansion teams)

Browns-Vikings (old NFL matchup

Bengals-Saints or Cardinals (either one, this is the tail end of the matchups)

Falcons-Broncos (past super matchup)

Titans-Saints or Cardinals (see Bengals)

Chargers-Seahawks (Seahawks used to be in AFC West)

Possible alternates -

Packers-Chiefs (Supe I)

Raiders-Rams (LA absconders)

Tampa Bay-Jax

New Orleans-Houston (gulf teams)

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

Dallas-Houston

Jets-Giants

Eagles-Steelers

Redskins-Ravens

Chiefs-Rams

Dolphins-Bucs

Niners-Raiders

Bills-Lions (Ralph Wilson was a big Lions fans and the Bills' original colors were Lions silver and blue)

Possible alternates -

Packers-Chiefs (Supe I)

Tampa Bay-Jax

You left out the Colts and Packers (if I figured it out correctly). I guess that could be justified on relative proximity and the rivalry from the BALTIMORE days. I don't remember any Green Bay-Indianapolis rivalry.

Some of these are stretches, as expected. One Super Bowl does not create an eternal rivalry.

In any case, with regard to the Titans, I would go with the Saints since Nashville and New Orleans are old line Southern cities. However, that leaves you with the epic Cincinnati-Arizona rivalry.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Miami-Tampa Bay

New England -Green Bay (P men vs P men)

NY Jets-NY Giants

Buffalo-Atlanta (red helmet vs former red helmet team)

Pittsburgh-Philadelphia

Cincinnati-Detroit (battle of the cats, the "Cat Fight"

Cleveland-Chicago (C.B. initials game, 2 most bland helmet bowl)

Baltimore-Washington

Houston-Dallas

Indianapolis-Minnesota (battle of the "apolis" cities, Indy & Minne)

Jacksonville-Carolina (95 expansion, "Cat Fight II"

Tennessee-New Orleans

Oakland-San Francisco

Kansas City-St Louis

San Diego-Seattle (former division rivals/west coast)

Denver-Arizona (close proximity, same time zone, or is Arizona PST?)

Dallas-Houston

Jets-Giants

Eagles-Steelers

Redskins-Ravens

Chiefs-Rams

Dolphins-Bucs

Niners-Raiders

Possible alternates -

Packers-Chiefs (Supe I)

Tampa Bay-Jax

You left out the Colts and Packers (if I figured it out correctly). I guess that could be justified on relative proximity and the rivalry from the BALTIMORE days. I don't remember any Green Bay-Indianapolis rivalry.

Some of these are stretches, as expected. One Super Bowl does not create an eternal rivalry.

In any case, with regard to the Titans, I would go with the Saints since Nashville and New Orleans are old line Southern cities. However, that leaves you with the epic Cincinnati-Arizona rivalry.

Yeah, I had Packers-Colts on there - they had some classic games in the 60s - but it got erased when I was moving other teams around.

As for Bengals-Cardinals...it would be Team Prison vs. Team Never Wins.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

Yeah and those sixteen matchups are pretty uncompelling. BATTLE OF TEH PEEZ

Hey, here's a thought: what if the 2002 realignment returned the Steelers/Colts/Browns to the NFC?

Central: Chicago/Green Bay/Minnesota/Detroit

Century: Dallas/Philadelphia/NY Giants/Washington

Capitol: Cleveland/Indianapolis/Baltimore/Pittsburgh

Coastal: Atlanta/San Francisco/St. Louis/New Orleans

North: Cincinnati/Arizona/Tennessee/Seattle

South: Jacksonville/Carolina/Tampa Bay/Houston

West: San Diego/Denver/Oakland/Kansas City

East: New England/Buffalo/Miami/NY Jets

The flaws here are that

1) this would be cooler with the Baltimore Colts

2) the Northern Division has no teams in what we consider the north

3) this move affects more cities than just Seattle

I'm going to try to see what a 32-team NFL would look like if that "no moving teams" rule in the anti-trust agreement the NFL made with the government had held up (I think Al Davis broke that one).

What I never got was why Seattle and Tampa Bay first went into the opposite conference they're in now and then switched a season or two later. Don't recall the details...

Added, from Wikipedia:

"When the Seattle Seahawks and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers began play in 1976, the Buccaneers were put into the AFC West and the Seahawks were put into the NFC West. After one year, Seattle was moved into the AFC West and Tampa Bay was moved into the NFC Central. The Seahawks played in the AFC West until the 2002 re-alignment, when they were put back into the NFC West."

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

The Bucs were initially put in the AFC West and the Seahawks the NFC West as a compromise. Exactly the same scenario that happened 20 years later with Carolina and Jacksonville - each was put into their division on a temporary basis.

Unlike the Panthers and Jaguars however, after one year the NFC Central squawked that they didn't have a warm-weather city in their division (as the other five divisions did), so they realigned the Bucs into the NFC Central, and put the Seahawks in the AFC West.

nav-logo.png

What I never got was why Seattle and Tampa Bay first went into the opposite conference they're in now and then switched a season or two later. Don't recall the details...

Added, from Wikipedia:

"When the Seattle Seahawks and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers began play in 1976, the Buccaneers were put into the AFC West and the Seahawks were put into the NFC West. After one year, Seattle was moved into the AFC West and Tampa Bay was moved into the NFC Central. The Seahawks played in the AFC West until the 2002 re-alignment, when they were put back into the NFC West."

The reason they did it was so fans in the new cities would get a chance to see more teams the first couple seasons.

I'm going to try to see what a 32-team NFL would look like if that "no moving teams" rule in the anti-trust agreement the NFL made with the government had held up (I think Al Davis broke that one).

If nobody moved, it would look like this:

AFC EAST

Boston Patriots

Buffalo Bills

Miami Dolphins

New York Jets

AFC NORTH

Cincinnati Bengals

Cleveland Browns

Pittsburgh Steelers

Seattle Seahawks

AFC SOUTH

Baltimore Colts

Houston Oilers

EXPANSION

EXPANSION

AFC WEST

Denver Broncos

Kansas City Chiefs

Oakland Raiders

San Diego Chargers

NFC EAST

Dallas Cowboys

New York Giants

Philadelphia Eagles

Washington Redskins

NFC NORTH

Chicago Bears

Detroit Lions

Green Bay Packers

Minnesota Vikings

NFC SOUTH

Atlanta Falcons

EXPANSION

New Orleans Saints

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

NFC WEST

Los Angeles Rams

EXPANSION

Saint Louis Cardinals

San Francisco 49ers

Here's what I came up with, reinstating the AFC three to the NFC.

National Football Conference

Coastal Division

Los Angeles Rams/San Francisco 49ers/Atlanta Falcons/St. Louis Cardinals

Capitol Division

Pittsburgh Steelers/Baltimore Colts/Cleveland Browns/New Orleans Saints

Central Division

Chicago Bears/Green Bay Packers/Minnesota Vikings/Detroit Lions

Century Division

Dallas Cowboys/Philadelphia Eagles/New York Giants/Washington Redskins

American Football Conference

Western Division

Denver Broncos/Oakland Raiders/San Diego Chargers/Kansas City Chiefs

Eastern Division

Cincinnati Bengals/Tennessee Titans/Carolina Panthers/Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Atlantic Division

Boston Patriots/Buffalo Bills/New York Jets/Miami Dolphins

Pacific Division

Seattle Seahawks/Houston Oilers/Phoenix Coyotes/Los Angeles Jaguars

Titans, Coyotes, and Jaguars are all expansion teams, of course.

Alright, I'm (re) reading America's Game by Michael MacCambridge (excellent book) and just got to the merger point. Originally, Rozelle (and quite a few NFL owners) wanted to keep the league structures where they were and just keep going like baseball was at the time, but throw in a couple interleague games a year for each team. (As a quick aside, I've heard many players wanted this too, but nobody asked them) The AFL owners pretty much went bat :censored: and said a merger was off, including Paul Brown, who said he had bought the Bengals franchise and started it with an agreement that it would be an NFL team. So then they decided that to do a full league, three teams needed moved and asked for volunteers. Nobody wanted to. Then it was announced that the three teams that moved would get $3 million. Modell, who in fairness was considering it since he was one of the newer NFL teams and owners (relatively speaking that is), said he'd go and tried to get the Steelers to go. Carrol Rosenbloom of the Colts took the money and ran, saying he'd be fine with it as long as he was in the same division as the Jets and could play them twice a year. Dan Rooney wouldn't budge. Art Rooney was open to the idea, but really didn't want to go, but Dan refused all offers. He walked into a meeting with Rozelle one afternoon after talking to the Arts (his father and Modell) about the issue and was going to tell Rozelle he would finally at least consider it. Rozelle beat him to the punch however, when he met Rooney at the door with a slip of paper that had four abbreviations on it. CLEV, PITT, HOU, CINN was all the paper said. Dan Rooney knew at that second that he had to switch, because that was going to be his division and it worked out perfectly. The Steelers kept the Browns as a rival, the Paul Brown teams played each other twice a year and everyone got the big attractive road date at the new Astrodome per season. Then, the AFC was done and the NFC is what took the most time to figure out.

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

Archived