Did anyone agree with the NFL alignment in 1970

neo_prankster

I'm curious to know if there was anybody on this forum who would remember the NFL's realignment plan for 1970. As we all know the alignment looked like this:

NFC East

Dallas Cowboys

New York Giants

Philadelphia Eagles

St. Louis Cardinals

Washington Redskins

NFC Central

Chicago Bears

Detroit Lions

Green Bay Packers

Minnesota Vikings

NFC West

Atlanta Falcons

Los Angeles Rams

New Orleans Saints

San Francisco 49ers

AFC East

Baltimore Colts

Boston Patriots

Buffalo Bills

Miami Dolphins

New York Jets

AFC Central

Cincinnati Bengals

Cleveland Browns

Houston Oilers

Pittsburgh Steelers

AFC West

Denver Broncos

Kansas City Chiefs

Oakland Raiders

San Diego Chargers

I'm sure that not everyone agreed with the divisional setup, so I would like to hear your opinion on it.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought it was quite dumb Atlanta and New ORleans in the West.

here is how I would have done it

NFC East

Atlanta Falcons

New York Giants

Philadelphia Eagles

Washington Redskins

NFC Central

Chicago Bears

Detroit Lions

Green Bay Packers

Minnesota Vikings

Saint Louis Cardinals

NFC West

Dallas Cowboys

Los Angeles Rams

New Orleans Saints

San Francisco 49ers

AFC East

Baltimore Colts

Boston Patriots

Miami Dolphins

New York Jets

AFC Central

Buffalo Bills

Cincinnati Bengals

Cleveland Browns

Pittsburgh Steelers

AFC West

Denver Broncos

Houston Oilers

Kansas City Chiefs

Oakland Raiders

San Diego Chargers

Just say NO to gray facemasks.

I thought it was quite dumb Atlanta and New ORleans in the West.

here is how I would have done it

NFC East

Atlanta Falcons

New York Giants

Philadelphia Eagles

Washington Redskins

NFC Central

Chicago Bears

Detroit Lions

Green Bay Packers

Minnesota Vikings

Saint Louis Cardinals

NFC West

Dallas Cowboys

Los Angeles Rams

New Orleans Saints

San Francisco 49ers

AFC East

Baltimore Colts

Boston Patriots

Miami Dolphins

New York Jets

AFC Central

Buffalo Bills

Cincinnati Bengals

Cleveland Browns

Pittsburgh Steelers

AFC West

Denver Broncos

Houston Oilers

Kansas City Chiefs

Oakland Raiders

San Diego Chargers

I like this alignment.

When you only play once a week, proximity isn't quite the concern. Don't break Dallas/Philly/Giants/Washington up just because it makes the West goofy.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

When you only play once a week, proximity isn't quite the concern. Don't break Dallas/Philly/Giants/Washington up just because it makes the West goofy.

what is interesting is that of the 5 proposed NFC alignment the one selected randonmly was the only one that had Dallas in the NFC east it was also the only one that had Minnesota in the Central.

Just say NO to gray facemasks.

I dont understand why Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Baltimore were the 3 teams chosen to switch.

The Steelers were losers so that made sense, and the Redskins already had the bealtway in the NFC and that made sence, but the Browns? the AFC already had the Bengals, why could not the AFC get the Saints instead?

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I dont understand why Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Baltimore were the 3 teams chosen to switch.

The Steelers were losers so that made sense, and the Redskins already had the bealtway in the NFC and that made sence, but the Browns? the AFC already had the Bengals, why could not the AFC get the Saints instead?

If I remember a NFL films show from a few years ago that discussed the merger Model volunteered to go to the AFC on the one condition that the Steelers switch conferences as well.

That's what I'm wondering <_<

I always had the understanding that Rozelle essentially ordered those three to move for reasons that were only known to him. (Although I've privately held this idea that he had a thing against old AAFC cities-Cleveland, Baltimore, and the only reason San Fran wasn't booted out IMO was their West Coast Rivalry with the Rams.)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I always had the understanding that Rozelle essentially ordered those three to move for reasons that were only known to him. (Although I've privately held this idea that he had a thing against old AAFC cities-Cleveland, Baltimore, and the only reason San Fran wasn't booted out IMO was their West Coast Rivalry with the Rams.)

Well if it was SF moving I dont think Al Davis would have approved, and he was the AFL Comish

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

The Saints, though new, already had a rivalry with the Falcons, so that would have put the kibosh on that, much less the actions of one Russell Long, for without him, there wouldn't even have been a franchise there to begin with.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Because each of them got $3 million for doing so, Tank...

None would've folded, but a merger was inevitable... had it not happened in 1970, it've happened in 1972, 1975, or sometime before 1980. The economics of the game would've spiraled to a point where it would've been necessary.

Anyone who wants to read an interesting book on the AFL-NFL merger (albeit with an NFL bias) should read "The Making of the Super Bowl" by the late Don Weiss. It's a fascinating read that details a lot of behind the scenes stuff about the merger - including an entire chapter on realignment and how it was (messily, and ultimately randomly) done.

nav-logo.png

Because that PIG Modell thought that the Browns would rule the AFC and win many Super Bowls. Just another bad Modell brain fart!!!

Clevelandcavaliersfirstlogo.gif Cleveland Cavaliers Curent Logo.png Cavs New Logo 2017-18.jpg

I just still can't believe we lived in a world where Atlanta played in the same division as Los Angeles. Not only in this sport, but in baseball too. Whose idea was that?

The divisional alignment from 1970 was literally picked out at random from five proposals Pete Rozelle and the owners had whittled down to. They started with over 110 different alignment possibilities.

The Atlanta/New Orleans in the NFC West thing was rooted in the fact that the owners wanted at least one 'warm weather' city in each division. Miami in the AFC East, Houston in the Central, San Diego in the West; Dallas in the NFC East and L.A. in the west - the NFC Central got hosed on a warm weather city until 1977, when the Buccaneers were realigned from the AFC West (?) to the NFC Central in order to give the division a warm-weather city.

More curious to me was always how Dallas wound up in the NFC East, and remains there today. At the time of the 1970 realignment there wasn't any long-time rivalries to be concerned with as was the case in 2001, and yet most of the divisional alignment plans for the NFC had them in the East.

nav-logo.png

I just still can't believe we lived in a world where Atlanta played in the same division as Los Angeles. Not only in this sport, but in baseball too. Whose idea was that?

The divisional alignment from 1970 was literally picked out at random from five proposals Pete Rozelle and the owners had whittled down to. They started with over 110 different alignment possibilities.

The Atlanta/New Orleans in the NFC West thing was rooted in the fact that the owners wanted at least one 'warm weather' city in each division. Miami in the AFC East, Houston in the Central, San Diego in the West; Dallas in the NFC East and L.A. in the west - the NFC Central got hosed on a warm weather city until 1977, when the Buccaneers were realigned from the AFC West (?) to the NFC Central in order to give the division a warm-weather city.

More curious to me was always how Dallas wound up in the NFC East, and remains there today. At the time of the 1970 realignment there wasn't any long-time rivalries to be concerned with as was the case in 2001, and yet most of the divisional alignment plans for the NFC had them in the East.

Actually only one of the plans had Dallas in the NFC East(the one that was actually chosen). The others had them in either the Central or West. It was the Minnesota Vikings who were stuck in the East for most of those plans, as i'll post here now:

Plan 1:

NFCE: NYG, PHI, WSH, ATL, MIN

NFCC: GB, CHI, DET, STL

NFCW: SF, LA, DAL, NO

Plan 2:

NFCE: NYG, WSH, PHI, MIN

NFCC: DAL, NO, ATL, STL

NFCW: SF, LA, CHI, GB, DET

Plan 3(Actual alignment chosen)

NFCE: NYG, WSH, PHI, DAL, STL

NFCC: CHI, GB, DET, MIN

NFCW: SF, LA, ATL, NO

Plan 4:

NFCE: NYG, WSH, PHI, MIN, STL

NFCC: CHI, GB, DET, ATL

NFCW: SF, LA, DAL, NO

Plan 5:

NFCE: NYG, WSH, PHI, MIN, DET

NFCC: CHI, GB, DAL, STL

NFCW: SF, LA, ATL, NO

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Archived