NFL Bye Week Notions

wdm1219inpenna

Fantasy football withstanding, who else detests the Bye Weeks in football besides yours truly?

The only advantage to having the bye week for me is that we get 17 weeks of regular season football instead of 16. I hate that teams from different divisions and conferences get off, throwing off the nice even balance of Wins/Losses until week 10. I also hate that there are byes as soon as week 3. I understood the necessity of it when the league had only 31 teams. I no longer understand the need for it. Furthermore, it seems an unfair advantage for one team coming off a bye week to play another team that has not. Wasn't it just as recently as last season that San Diego had to play 3 or 4 different teams who came off byes?

To me, if you're going to have to have a bye week, it should be

A. teams from the same division (8 bye weeks, 1 division off per week)

B. the 4 teams who were off one week have to face off against one another the following week

Could it ever be possible, that the league might cut back 1 or 2 pre-season games, do away with the bye week, and expand the regular season to 18 games? That would be a tantalizing thought, but would require a whole new format for scheduling purposes.

Oh, how I DO love opening up all these worm cans ::grins::

Regards,

Bill McD.

Bye weeks are great, because they allow you to plan for a weekend activity during the NFL season, or just allow you a day to watch all of the games without being all stressed over your team. I a couple of people who waited for the Eagles schedule to come out so they could plan their weddings for the bye-week.

IIRC, there was a season or two where they had two bye-weeks. Now that is lunacy.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

B. the 4 teams who were off one week have to face off against one another the following week

I don't mind the byes. On this point, however, I agree wholeheartedly.

The Ravens had to face San Diego and Denver in back-to-back weeks when those teams were coming off of their byes. It can't be that difficult to tweak the schedule so that your bye is always followed by a game against another team coming off its bye (which I think is actually the case with the Ravens-Saints game in Week 8).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

How about they play 8 games, then the entire league takes a bye week, then the last 8 weeks are played? What weekend does Week 9 normally play? Early November? It won't eat into any traditional games like the Thanksgiving Day games or anything, I wouldn't think.

I agree though that if they were to do bye weeks, it should be an entire division a week and then the week after, that division play intra-division games.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

How about they play 8 games, then the entire league takes a bye week, then the last 8 weeks are played? What weekend does Week 9 normally play? Early November? It won't eat into any traditional games like the Thanksgiving Day games or anything, I wouldn't think.

I agree though that if they were to do bye weeks, it should be an entire division a week and then the week after, that division play intra-division games.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

Better still, start the regular season 1 week earlier, then have the bye after week 8, this would help baseball's World Series have more of the spotlight during that week.

Won't happen though, I understand the league's reasoning of having the regular season start the first weekend AFTER Labor Day now, though I loved when it was on Labor Day weekend in the past.

Sometimes I guess I'm just too old-school about things.

Regards,

Bill McD.

That won't happen because the TV revenue is based, in part, on there being 17 weeks of the regular season. By staggering the bye weeks, the NFL creates an extra week of programming and everybody makes more money.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

My team's bye week came at the perfect time for me this season, as I was in the middle of a move and was able to get all my furniture into my new place without missing a Packers game. Plus, the NFL season is such a major grind on the players, and I'm sure they appreciate the week off to recuperate from injuries and recharge the batteries for the rest of the season.

QPR%20Sig.png

First of all, I'd go back to having only two games on Thanksgiving, and having those be the only Thursday games of the year. The four teams in those games would have their bye week the weekend before. The 7 previous weeks would have 4 teams off each week.

Archived