Redesigning the National Hockey League

speedy

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How i see it is that it will be the cut that will change. The designs might be the same, just on the new cut jerseys. That's how I see it. Surely they aren't going to make them all alike.

On the concepts here, they are pretty sharp, they don't look bad, look quite good actually, i like how you change sections of the colour blocks so they aren't all exactly identical. Good work.

Like they did in the new Australian Soccer comp, the A-League...

Oh that's right, two templates across the entire comp.

Who was that company that did that.

Reebok? Oh.

Interesting comparison. It's extremely clear after checking out the A league unis that Reebok's new hockey template is just a glorified soccer template. Even the lame collar is the same.

1427_l.jpg1482_l.jpg

These are the two templates used in the A-League.

Every team has one or the other, or both (1 Home, the other Road)

And while the NHL template obviously has some differences to these, it looks completely like some long sleeve soccer jersey template they're using.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

There are closer to four templates used in the A-League. Two for home and two for away. Those two are home designs only. They aways follow these very similar templates.

1380_l.jpg1404_l.jpg

Also I have to agree with Matt in saying that the striping on the jerseys will (hopefully) not change for most teams. I think that if the NHL has such a historical perspective on their jerseys (except for some horrible, HORRIBLE exceptions) then Rbk will try and adhere to their standards.

sig.png

There are closer to four templates used in the A-League. Two for home and two for away. Those two are home designs only. They aways follow these very similar templates.

1380_l.jpg1404_l.jpg

Also I have to agree with Matt in saying that the striping on the jerseys will (hopefully) not change for most teams. I think that if the NHL has such a historical perspective on their jerseys (except for some horrible, HORRIBLE exceptions) then Rbk will try and adhere to their standards.

The cut of the jersey will change the logo sizes, arm lettering, and general feel of the uniform. No matter how much they try to adhere to the original unis, they're just not going to look the same.

I personally think the new templates look terrible no matter what kind of striping design is applied. The collars are extremely ugly and the curved bottom piece looks ridiculous. There's too many flourishes that are unnecessary, distracting, and don't compliment the basic form. There's no functionality to all the sidepanel cuts. They're just there to look different. It's like what they did to the CFL when they gave half of the teams bibs. None of the uniforms look better for it. The bibs are just there to remind people that Reebok made the uniforms.

DEATH TO REEBOK

In many cases a change of supplier can mean that garbage unis will ensue. This is particularly true with supplier like Nike, Reebok and Adidas (and other companies that supply to more than one sport). But even with change can come benefits.

Nike, for example, has dished up some terrible garbage over the years based on a single template with the colours swapped around. They threw a curveball this year and produced some outstanding kits. And although they, for the most part, had some features of a template (like the sleeve cuffs) the kits looked great. If Reebok has taken any notice of Nike's success in the WC they might follw suit and produce jerseys that uphold tradition.

Also many sports unis use more than one material for better ventilation and/or movement. With the technology available these days, a striping pattern can be sublimated over the top of the panels and seams and not look stupid.

Everyone here is being a little too negative, wait until the jerseys come out and if you don't like them you can flame them all you want then.

sig.png

In many cases a change of supplier can mean that garbage unis will ensue. This is particularly true with supplier like Nike, Reebok and Adidas (and other companies that supply to more than one sport). But even with change can come benefits.

Nike, for example, has dished up some terrible garbage over the years based on a single template with the colours swapped around. They threw a curveball this year and produced some outstanding kits. And although they, for the most part, had some features of a template (like the sleeve cuffs) the kits looked great. If Reebok has taken any notice of Nike's success in the WC they might follw suit and produce jerseys that uphold tradition.

Also many sports unis use more than one material for better ventilation and/or movement. With the technology available these days, a striping pattern can be sublimated over the top of the panels and seams and not look stupid.

Everyone here is being a little too negative, wait until the jerseys come out and if you don't like them you can flame them all you want then.

Agree, the World Cup unis were generally pretty good.

But a lot of that was because they returned to traditonal designs, and incorporated them into the various cuts of the uniforms.

As you mention, Reebok probably won't do that.

They will try to do something new for everyone, so there's enough difference between what teams have today, and the new jerseys; and then fans will be compelled to buy them.

I look forward to seeing them, if only for the "world is about to end" statements on here.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

• 4 weeks later...

Archived