Falcons' Coach Mora Would Rather Be a Huskie

BlueSky

Still looking for a link to the audio but while out at lunch today, Atlanta's 680 The Fan and 790 The Zone sports stations were abuzz about Falcons' coach Jim Mora's comments to a Seattle radio station. They played it and it was a bit surprising to say the least.

He basically said that if the University of Washington job was ever available, he'd be "at the head of the freakin' line with my resume in my hand." They said, you mean if you're available...and he said whether I'm available or not. The host said, "So you'd leave the Falcons?" And he said, "Absolutely." He continued that he didn't care if they were in the middle of a playoff run, he'd be there.

Supposedly he told Chris Mortensen this morning that it was all a joke, ha ha. Right. Listen to the audio and judge for yourself.

My prediction? Now or later, he's gone, and I don't mean voluntarily.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Link to the interview

Partial transcript:

Here is a sample of the interview via transcripts emailed by ESPN:

Interviewer: "If there's an opening, and you're available, we want you to coach the Huskies."

Mora: "Well, I really have a lot of respect for [Washington Coach] Ty [Willingham], and I know he'll do a great job. But if he ever decides to move on, and get in the NFL or you know, go back to Notre Dame or whatever, if that job's open you'll find me at the friggin' head of the line with my resume in my hand ready to take that job."

Interviewer: "If you're available."

Mora: "It doesn't even matter if I'm available."

Interviewer: "So if you just won the Super Bowl, and it's available, you're there?"

Mora: "I'd be there."

Interviewer: "You're there, okay."

Mora: "I'd do it, I promise you that. Now, I want to see Ty succeed, and I want to see that program succeed. But if he decides at some point that he's ready to move on and they want me, I will be there. I don't care if we're in the middle of a playoff run I'm packing my stuff and coming back to Seattle."

Interviewer: "So, are you saying...?"

Mora: "You know, it's funny, and I mean that, and I'm dead serious, the further I get away from it the more I'm drawn to it. You know, that's the job I want, so..."

Interviewer: "You would leave the Falcons for that job?"

Mora: "Absolutely."

Interviewer: "Wow."

Mora said today:

"I guess you've got to watch what you say to anybody anymore. I'm doing an interview with my best friend, joking around, and all of a sudden it's a big story."

What an ass. Blame everybody else. Isn't that like somebody saying, "I guess you've got to watch what you do to anybody anymore. I hit my best friend in the head with a baseball bat and all of a sudden I'm arrested for assault."

There's only one word to describe this: Dumb.

The Falcons MB is in meltdown (well, they were in meltdown after we beat Tampa, so what does that say about that board?), and the media is all over it.

With all of this talk about Vick going in at RB, Ike Reese becoming too worried about the fans, and then this, it makes you wonder if anybody in the freakin city is even focused on the biggest game of the year?!

Besides the plethora of Cowboy fans here...

In this case I dont think Vick killed Mora... Mora recieved his death letter when his father openned his mouth and signed it with the Huskies comment. Wouldn't be surprised if he's gone after this season.

the Huskies aren't getting rid of Willingham anytime soon anyways. which is slightly unfortunate, because the longer the Fuskies are in the Pac-10 cellar the happier I am.

actually, hire Mora. if he's stupid enough to say this, he'd ensure the future of the Huskies nailed down in the bottom of the Pac-10 for years to come...

harperdc.gif

I see it as this: If we make the playoffs, he's got 1 more year, 2 tops. If we don't, he's gone ASAP.

I know that there are issues with the Falcons some Mora's doing some not. Like today was just stupid, so maybe just is time for a change but isn't Mora one of the most sucessful coaches in that has ever been there?

I see it as this: If we make the playoffs, he's got 1 more year, 2 tops. If we don't, he's gone ASAP.

I know that there are issues with the Falcons some Mora's doing some not. Like today was just stupid, so maybe just is time for a change but isn't Mora one of the most sucessful coaches in that has ever been there?

Well, like the Saints, success is a relative term in Atlanta but I'd have to say not really. ESPN says he's 26-19 in his first 45 games, which is best in Falcons history, and his first year they went to the NFC championship game but that was with the team he inherited from Dan Reeves. Since then it's been great starts followed by embarrassing collapses when the games really start to count. Last year, 6-2 start, 8-8 for the year. This year remains to be seen but it's not looking good.

Added to that are numerous tantrums and missteps like being fined for using a cellphone on the sidelines at Tampa Bay, throwing a headset after an interview, and now this latest one. A few weeks ago, he went an entire game without a headset on. An NFL head coach with no headset for a whole game? And kissing Vick on the helmet in the tunnel before the first game they played after his dad's "coach killer" comments? He needs to stop kissing helmets and start kicking asses.

He leaves an impression of immaturity, and as for performance, it's as they say in Texas: "big hat, no cattle."

You heard it here first: the Cowboys will blow out the Falcons tonight and he'll be gone by early next week.

Well, like the Saints, success is a relative term in Atlanta but I'd have to say not really. ESPN says he's 26-19 in his first 45 games, which is best in Falcons history, and his first year they went to the NFC championship game but that was with the team he inherited from Dan Reeves. Since then it's been great starts followed by embarrassing collapses when the games really start to count. Last year, 6-2 start, 8-8 for the year. This year remains to be seen but it's not looking good.

Added to that are numerous tantrums and missteps like being fined for using a cellphone on the sidelines at Tampa Bay, throwing a headset after an interview, and now this latest one. A few weeks ago, he went an entire game without a headset on. An NFL head coach with no headset for a whole game? And kissing Vick on the helmet in the tunnel before the first game they played after his dad's "coach killer" comments? He needs to stop kissing helmets and start kicking asses.

He leaves an impression of immaturity, and as for performance, it's as they say in Texas: "big hat, no cattle."

You heard it here first: the Cowboys will blow out the Falcons tonight and he'll be gone by early next week.

OK point taken, I was just thinking out loud off the top my head. BTW Wade Phillips preceded Mora in Atlanta. Anyway I thought that Mora was doing a little better of a job then he actually was.

Archived