USC Kicker Mario Danelo Found Dead

LMU

SAN PEDRO, Calif. -- Southern California kicker Mario Danelo was found dead Saturday about 120 feet down a rocky cliff near Point Fermin lighthouse.

The body was reported by a passer-by at about 4:30 p.m., said Martha Garcia of the Los Angeles Police Department.

Danelo, the 21-year-old son of former NFL kicker Joe Danelo, made 15 of 16 field goals this season and led the Trojans in scoring with 89 points. The junior made two field goals in the Rose Bowl on Monday to help USC beat Michigan 32-18.

Speaking on behalf of Trojans coach Pete Carroll, USC spokesman Tim Tessalone said, "We were stunned to hear about this tragedy. This is a great loss. Mario was a wonderful young man of high character.

"He was one heck of a kicker. He was a key ingredient in our success the past two years. The thoughts and prayers of the entire Trojan family go out to the Danelo family on this sad, sad day."

AP NEWS

VmWIn6B.png

Wow that sucks I think he would of made a NFL roster. I remember his father too he was with the Bills. I have a card of him.

Gee, ya think, Tank? I hate when people say something along the lines of "That sucks" when somebody dies. It just sounds like it's in poor taste. Of course it is bad. Somebody, died, Tank. It's a tragedy. I also think that he maybe could have made an NFL roster, though I'm curious to see what Danelo was doing near a cliff. I guess when more details come out we'll know.

-E.A.R.

Wow that sucks I think he would of made a NFL roster. I remember his father too he was with the Bills. I have a card of him.

Gee, ya think, Tank? I hate when people say something along the lines of "That sucks" when somebody dies. It just sounds like it's in poor taste. Of course it is bad. Somebody, died, Tank. It's a tragedy. I also think that he maybe could have made an NFL roster, though I'm curious to see what Danelo was doing near a cliff. I guess when more details come out we'll know.

-E.A.R.

that was unnecessary

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

-E.A.R.

that was unnecessary

Sure was. Back off Raps. Tank meant no disrespect. You owe him an apology.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

-E.A.R.

that was unnecessary

Sure was. Back off Raps. Tank meant no disrespect. You owe him an apology.

You know, I probably do owe Tank an apology. Sorry for the bashing, Tank. It's just that I've heard my friends, and other people say things along the lines of "That sucks" when talking about someone's death. To me, it comes off as disrespectful. You did mean no disrespect, Tank and I apologize. I jumped the gun and thought you were being disrespectful, while being disrespectful myself. Back on topic. I heard that there was no evidence of a suicide or foul play, so I would figure that he was hiking or walking. Another life cut short. Just horrible.

-E.A.R.

It's just too easy to blame this on chemicals or some deranged Michigan Alumn. I'd be interested in seeing what comes of the investigation. Was he just taking a walk and didn't see the edge? Just hoping that they do this quick so his family can go on with their grieving without all the constant reminders.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

Archived