Is Rich Eisen really THIS clueless?

BlueSky

On NFL Network, there's a feature where they have the NFL head of officiating talk about controversial calls. So they're talking about the Jets-Patriots and a backwards pass from Pennington that was ruled a fumble, obviously because it was backwards.

So Rich Eisen asks, in all seriousness, "What if this pass had gone parallel to the line of scrimmage, not forwards OR backwards?" Is he kidding? Sideways or backwards is a fumble. Rich, maybe THAT'S why it's called a "lateral" ?? :rolleyes:

From encarta.com:

<<

lat·er·al [ láttərəl ]

3. football sideways or backward football pass: in football, a sideways or backward pass

transitive and intransitive verb (past and past participle lat·er·aled, present participle lat·er·al·ing, 3rd person present singular lat·er·als)

Definition:

football pass ball sideways: in football, to pass the ball sideways or backward

>>

He's the HOST on NFL Network and doesn't know this?

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

On NFL Network, there's a feature where they have the NFL head of officiating talk about controversial calls. So they're talking about the Jets-Patriots and a backwards pass from Pennington that was ruled a fumble, obviously because it was backwards.

So Rich Eisen asks, in all seriousness, "What if this pass had gone parallel to the line of scrimmage, not forwards OR backwards?" Is he kidding? Sideways or backwards is a fumble. Rich, maybe THAT'S why it's called a "lateral" ?? :rolleyes:

From encarta.com:

<<

lat·er·al [ láttərəl ]

3. football sideways or backward football pass: in football, a sideways or backward pass

transitive and intransitive verb (past and past participle lat·er·aled, present participle lat·er·al·ing, 3rd person present singular lat·er·als)

Definition:

football pass ball sideways: in football, to pass the ball sideways or backward

>>

He's the HOST on NFL Network and doesn't know this?

It's OK for a fan to not know that, but a TV personality at NFL network should.

I did not see it, so I have no sense of the tone, but is it possible he was asking that "on the fans' behalf" Sometime on these show's they'll ask a question because it may be something a lot of fans do not know...

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

He used to work for ESPN. By CCSLC logic, that automatically makes him a blithering idiot...and it also means that the damage is irreparable.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Isn't it just possible that he was asking the question so that the casual fan, who might not know something like that, could be educated?

I find TV news people all the time asking questions I'd consider asinine at first, then after thinking about it for a minute, it dawns on me that I know far more about the subject matter than most people probably do - leading me to believe they're idiots.

nav-logo.png

Isn't it just possible that he was asking the question so that the casual fan, who might not know something like that, could be educated?

I find TV news people all the time asking questions I'd consider asinine at first, then after thinking about it for a minute, it dawns on me that I know far more about the subject matter than most people probably do - leading me to believe they're idiots.

ditto

Wow, I thought this was pretty common knowledge to even a casual fan. Plus it gets covered in depth now and again (Music City Miracle).

Thankfully no one in the world has become football fans since then...

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Wow, I thought this was pretty common knowledge to even a casual fan. Plus it gets covered in depth now and again (Music City Miracle).

Thankfully no one in the world has become football fans since then...

You should be a comedian. No, on second thought, you'd starve and then we'd miss out on your clever repartee. :rolleyes:

.... with the exception of Buffalo....

...and the NHL's rules on puck possession...

Why all the hate for Buffalo? You can't say if the roles were reversed Titans, or Stars fans would not be whining. The Music City Miracle was a play too close to call, and "No Goal" while technically "legal" was a stupid rule that has since been removed. How can you say after you shoot a puck you still have possession. You gave up possession after you shot it. Even though Buffalo would not have won the championship in either case I still get pissed at those rules.

in_crease.jpg

Puck Out of crease - CHECK

Foot in crease - CHECK

HOW IS THAT A GOAL!!!!!

Back to the topic........Eisen probably just said it as a fan who didn't know much about the game.

saBS.png

.... with the exception of Buffalo....

...and the NHL's rules on puck possession...

Why all the hate for Buffalo? You can't say if the roles were reversed Titans, or Stars fans would not be whining. The Music City Miracle was a play too close to call, and "No Goal" while technically "legal" was a stupid rule that has since been removed. How can you say after you shoot a puck you still have possession. You gave up possession after you shot it. Even though Buffalo would not have won the championship in either case I still get pissed at those rules.

in_crease.jpg

Puck Out of crease - CHECK

Foot in crease - CHECK

HOW IS THAT A GOAL!!!!!

Back to the topic........Eisen probably just said it as a fan who didn't know much about the game.

Let's do this one last time.

1) I shoot the puck. Goalie saves it & rebounds it, you then shoot it in. You get a goal, I get an assist. The puck has remained the possession of our team the whole time despite touching the other team's goalie. You will have to rewrite every player's assist stats in the history of the NHL if you want to argue against this.

2) Hull kicked that puck(which is coming off his first shot's rebound, btw) to where it is in that photo. He possesses it even moreso becuase he kicked it there.

3) The "stupid rule" you point out was changed to make this goal even more clearly defined as legal.

If you can't let it go and admit you lost fair and square, you have no business discussing hockey.

You should be a comedian. No, on second thought, you'd starve and then we'd miss out on your clever repartee. :rolleyes:

Who said I was trying to be funny? Seriously, you see in sports all the time where rules that may seem fairly obvious (baseball strike zone is the best example) are repeated often. Why? To inform new fans, of course, unless you're Tim McCarver, then you're just a senile idiot. I assume that you much rather would have Eisen and Co. discuss the nuances of the rule regarding how a player is determined to be an end man on a scrimmage kick, and how that affects the play itself?

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Who said I was trying to be funny? Seriously, you see in sports all the time where rules that may seem fairly obvious (baseball strike zone is the best example) are repeated often. Why? To inform new fans, of course, unless you're Tim McCarver, then you're just a senile idiot. I assume that you much rather would have Eisen and Co. discuss the nuances of the rule regarding how a player is determined to be an end man on a scrimmage kick, and how that affects the play itself?

I see your point but don't necessarily agree. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but I really thought that most anybody who has watched any football at all knew that sideways or backwards is a lateral.

Archived