2007 Cricket World Cup Kits

Gazzzaf

Whatever you do don't put the Aussies in that awful dark green colour :P

My cynical side says we wore Dark Green because it contrasted with the Comm Bank logo.

Imagine if they paid all that money and you couldn't tell their logo from the rest of the Gold shirts.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

I, for one, think the dark green is pretty classy. This stems from being a Rugby League tragic and the resulting belief that Australia should outfit all of their national sides in predominantly green.

The first Australian, excepting test cricket of course, sides to adopt the national sporting colours wore predominantly green. The original switch to a predominantly gold uniform in a team sport came about in 1961 as a means to avoid a clash with the South African rugby team (interestingly this has been the other way around in Rugby League on several occasions). The popularity of a predominantly gold look spread to other applications such as olympic teams and with the advent of one day cricket, a "canary yellow" strip was chosen.

Now this may seem like a relevant history in the eyes of most cricketing fans but in this case I like the idea of reaching further back to the most hallowed object in Australian cricket for inspiration; that being the baggy green of course. Bottle green is predominant colour of what symbolises Australian cricket; I doubt that a kid in their backyard dreams of pulling on yellow PJ's more than a baggy green.

The current kit not only has a sense of immense history but also ties it in with a neat and classy design that adidas can actually be proud of. So I hope at the least that we keep a secondary kit of similar colours from now onwards and I will be making the alt kit that awful green colour, sorry to disappoint.

Rob, I see where you are coming from with the commbank logo but I think that it would have been just as easy to use their monochrome logo on a yellow kit.

brand.gif

Afterall, that would have the entire kit looking like the cb sideboards we have been seeing this series.

sig.png

I thought about adding green and orange to the kits but I didnt want it to look too busy. I think their actual kits are way too cluttered and the BCCI shot themselves in the foot when they decided to keep the same design after switching to Nike. Also, when switching to Nike, the BCCI said they were changing their home kits to navy like above, I wonder what happened to that idea. Ah well.

Here's 7th Seed England - One of my favourties so far:

England_001.gif

sig.png

I, for one, think the dark green is pretty classy. This stems from being a Rugby League tragic and the resulting belief that Australia should outfit all of their national sides in predominantly green.

The first Australian, excepting test cricket of course, sides to adopt the national sporting colours wore predominantly green. The original switch to a predominantly gold uniform in a team sport came about in 1961 as a means to avoid a clash with the South African rugby team (interestingly this has been the other way around in Rugby League on several occasions). The popularity of a predominantly gold look spread to other applications such as olympic teams and with the advent of one day cricket, a "canary yellow" strip was chosen.

Now this may seem like a relevant history in the eyes of most cricketing fans but in this case I like the idea of reaching further back to the most hallowed object in Australian cricket for inspiration; that being the baggy green of course. Bottle green is predominant colour of what symbolises Australian cricket; I doubt that a kid in their backyard dreams of pulling on yellow PJ's more than a baggy green.

The current kit not only has a sense of immense history but also ties it in with a neat and classy design that adidas can actually be proud of. So I hope at the least that we keep a secondary kit of similar colours from now onwards and I will be making the alt kit that awful green colour, sorry to disappoint.

Hallelujah Gaz. Couldn't agree more.

I have the new green shirt (sans-CBA logo) and love it. It looks great on the field as well, and its the first Australian cricket shirt since about the mid 1980s that someone over the age of 20 can wear and not look ridiculous.

liverpool-1.png

I don't like the current Aussie look at all - particularly the metallic gold. We look like a hideous cross-breed of the Saffies and the Kiwis.

However, I promise not to complain about the green as long as they promise to stop wearing bloody GREY in 20/20 matches!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived